The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default MN Boarders Beware!!!

This isn't my style and I dont like to trash talk. I cannot keep my mouth shut about this place in Woodbury MN. For MN horse boarders ... stay away.

I'm newer to the Twin Cities and know very few horse people out here so getting advice wasn't an option. I bought my horse in September and moved him to this facility (not sure if I'm allowed to say the name?) He's dropped at least 400 lbs, he hasn't had water in his paddock for the past 4 days! He's supposed to get 4 flakes at night ... he gets 2. He's been injured, cut up ect because the electric isn't on. Horses litterally walk through fences. I've had to supply all my own grain. I've been buying most of my own hay that they've been feeding to the rest of the barn. I've pulled out moldy hay numerous times from his stall.
    It took them 2 weeks to fix his waterer in his stall. The barn manager knows basic care... thats it! The owner never comes out the barn to check on them.... she lives on the property. They have horrible herd managment. The aggressive horses are thrown in with the more passive. So the passive are beat up all day long and chased from the moldy round bails. There are horses on the property that haven't been wormed sense June. I supply my own grain like I prevously said... its clearly written in tubs with my horses name, day, am and pm and they still dont feed him correctly. If a horse isn't under weight there.... its because they are on Amplify. There is no vet schedule. No farrier schedule. Horses collic all the time (bad hay). Half the barn is currently lame (figure that out).

Over all... there is a huge lack of quality control and care. Its all about profit and not the care of the equine. Like I said... this isn't my style but if you're looking to move your horse to go there. I was there 3 weeks before I gave my 60 (yes 60) day notice. This was also my first boarding experience. I always was able to keep them at my house. Boy ... I sure learned my lesson.

I feel its my obligation as a horse owner to let others know.

1 members found this post helpful.

Also... I trailered in and no one asked for my coggins. They still haven't asked. I'm also 100% sure that some horses haven't been vaccinated in quite some time.

Might I also add...... They bring horses in for dinner at 2:30

If your horse is potentially at risk, I would think about leaving immediately. I would discuss with the BO the health risks associated with boarding at her facility and get the heck out of there. If your horse gets injured or colics etc, your BO is most likely not liable and you are out a horse possibly. and the heck with te 60 day notice.. be sure you document everything to help if something comes down the pike after you have left. good luck.

2 members found this post helpful.

Why is your horse still there?

Notice or no notice . . . the horse is yours, get him out if you hate the place.

I've never been asked for a Coggins at a boarding barn immediately, and turnout rules are hugely different from barn to barn, but not feeding and fencing properly is an absolute no-go and I won't even bring my horses to a place with crummy fences.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AA714 View Post
    This isn't my style and I dont like to trash talk. I cannot keep my mouth shut about this place in Woodbury MN. For MN horse boarders ... stay away.

I'm newer to the Twin Cities and know very few horse people out here so getting advice wasn't an option. I bought my horse in September and moved him to this facility (not sure if I'm allowed to say the name?) He's dropped at least 400 lbs, he hasn't had water in his paddock for the past 4 days! He's supposed to get 4 flakes at night ... he gets 2. He's been injured, cut up ect because the electric isn't on. Horses litterally walk through fences. I've had to supply all my own grain. I've been buying most of my own hay that they've been feeding to the rest of the barn. I've pulled out moldy hay numerous times from his stall.
    It took them 2 weeks to fix his waterer in his stall. The barn manager knows basic care... thats it! The owner never comes out the barn to check on them.... she lives on the property. They have horrible herd managment. The aggressive horses are thrown in with the more passive. So the passive are beat up all day long and chased from the moldy round bails. There are horses on the property that haven't been wormed sense June. I supply my own grain like I prevously said... its clearly written in tubs with my horses name, day, am and pm and they still dont feed him correctly. If a horse isn't under weight there.... its because they are on Amplify. There is no vet schedule. No farrier schedule. Horses collic all the time (bad hay). Half the barn is currently lame (figure that out).

Over all... there is a huge lack of quality control and care. Its all about profit and not the care of the equine. Like I said... this isn't my style but if you're looking to move your horse to go there. I was there 3 weeks before I gave my 60 (yes 60) day notice. This was also my first boarding experience. I always was able to keep them at my house. Boy ... I sure learned my lesson.

I feel its my obligation as a horse owner to let others know.

Why would you even have let your horse stay there for one night after seeing what the place was like? Hmmmmmmmm.........
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

2 members found this post helpful.

As a barn owner in Woodbury, MN - my preference would be for you to name the barn (or at least to provide more identifying information [no fear that it's my barn; we've had no turnover in boarders for a year]). I would appreciate knowing which barn, through PM or email - lglass at minn dot net, so I don't refer others to that barn.

There are good resources for finding barns even if you're new in the area - check the TCCTList, check the list of MN Horse Council certified stables, check the local associations for your discipline (MHJA and CSDEA are active here), ask at the tack shops, ask your equine vet or farrier.

And a general suggestion for those looking to board. Visit the place twice. Don't show up without warning, as that's just rude. But look at the fencing, watch how the staff handle the horses, ask what their daily schedule is, ask who does the work and what their backup plan is if someone's sick or out of town....

4 members found this post helpful.

7 horses are leaving as of Dec 1st. I gave my notice as I was obligated by contract. The contract stated that I had to give 60 days, if not, I was to pay court cost. I know the owner has taken people to court and I can't afford that. So I did most of the work myself. As for the fencing.... I didn't realize it wasn't hot until I already signed the contract. We are trailering out on Wed.
    Yes... it was a mistake to board there and quickly learned my lesson. The purpose of this post was to let others know so they dont have to learn the hard way. I now know what to look and watch for as I found a place with a good reputation and I really look forward to moving there. Thank you for the advice. I will email or PM the barn name if needed

Aesthetically the facility looks fine. The mounted squad (st.paul) are there so ... how bad could it be right???? After talking to the barn manager and BO I was promised changes.... nothing happened! So then I started doing mostly everything myself... except drop feed and clean stalls. I was stuck in a contract.

I trailer out Wednesday.... not soon enough.

I sent you and email

How can you warn people if you don't even provide a name of the place?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Personally I would not have come on here complaining about this place until my horse was safetly somewhere else. Hopefully they don't find out and do god knows what to you horse!!!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

3 members found this post helpful.

I wasn't sure if thats aloud or not. If you would like to know the name I can send you a PM or email

Thats part of the reason I didnt list the barn name

Breach of contract on the part of the BO for failing to provide adequate care would probably mean you'd have avoided court in any case.
    Click here before you buy.

3 members found this post helpful.

I dont care what the name is, I live in MD.

I'm just saying...its all smells very...fishy.

ETA:How could you continue to keep your horse ANY PLACE that allowed it to drop 400lbs?!
    Last edited by wcporter; Nov. 26, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

5 members found this post helpful.

Hey guys- the original poster is a friend of mine- I told her to post so that it could get around and people wouldn't have the same experiences. Nothing fishy and in actuality she probably could have written more.

For what it's worth, the report that the St. Paul Mounted Police keep their horses there is both a major clue about which barn is referred to and a misleading reassurance for someone looking for a barn at which to board ("if it's good enough for the police...." When our vet, many years ago, asked if we were interested in boarding the police horses here, she indicated that the officers did self-care. I never verified that, as we're too small to accommodate them. But if that's true, then having the police horses there may seem like an indicator of good care, but would be an irrelevancy).

I hope that posting here doesn't hurt the poster. It could - but she has only two more days there, and could probably escape sooner if need be, as it sounds like she has another place lined up. And the barn is well-enough known (besides, the police [horses] are there!) that I doubt they would do anything too dastardly. So it's a risk, but not a major risk.

It's rough, when you want to play by the rules but barn owners don't. It's rough when boarders don't either, of course.

I wouldn't pay another dime. Document your horse's condition before moving him. Court costs are minimal. Usually under $100 for small claims court. Let her take you to court. If you loose, it's a small amount to pay. It might be better to take that chance and see if you can't win.