The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Perennial Peanut Hay

Who here is feeding it? Likes/dislikes? Do you mix with other hay or feed it exclusively?
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

I have fed it before. Horse were OK when fresh off the field, didn't like it (think pee and poop on it) once it was "seasoned" a bit.

I think peanut hay is supposed to be high in sugar.
    Sandy in Fla.

Make sure it's not regular peanut hay which will have peanuts in it as well as dirt. I bought some hay once advertised as perennial peanut hay. I did a quick search and found it was okay for horses so bought a round bale.

When I got home I decided to do more research and discovered they had sold me plan old peanut hay. I had a fun time getting my money back on that!

Love the stuff. "Alfalfa of the south." Wish there were more growers in my area. Rarely feed it as I can't get it.
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    Love the stuff. "Alfalfa of the south."
    This. It's like horse candy. You can feed it exclusively or along with a grass hay (which would be coastal around here), people do both.

However, it's still not very well or widely known and, like dacasodevine said, you need to be careful that you're not getting baled peanut plant tops.

If you're interested in buying some, you might check the Perennial Peanut Producers Association web site. They have a list of members along with contact info. http://www.perennialpeanuthay.org/index.php

1 members found this post helpful.

I fed it one winter when I could get it locally and I think I was feeding about 12 horses then. They all thought it was great and not one of them turned their noses up at it. I combined it with a regular grass hay and they thrived on it. I can't find it locally anymore and it's too far to drive to pick it up. I'd buy it again within a reasonable distance. I agree with dacasodivine - make sure it is the real thing and not baled peanut vines.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Perennial peanut hay is great. It keeps weight on my horses like nothing else. They actually prefer it to alfalfa. My problem is I've had a hard time finding a grower who has consistant quality. If you can find a reliable source it's great. I always feed it with grass hay such as timothy. In the summer if they just need a little extra bloom but live out on pasture I feed PP hay straight.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

My horses love it also. I once fed a flake of peanut hay and a flake of alfalfa to see which they would choose first, and they preferred the peanut. I feed it on top of grass hay so all the loose leaves get caught in the coastal hay. It is grown very nearby to me and is of good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by klc View Post
    My horses love it also. I once fed a flake of peanut hay and a flake of alfalfa to see which they would choose first, and they preferred the peanut. I feed it on top of grass hay so all the loose leaves get caught in the coastal hay. It is grown very nearby to me and is of good quality.
    Where do you get yours klc? I am interested in trying some but I live in NE GA (near Athens) and the closest grower I have found is 200 miles away. Checking into delivery but...
    Last edited by ChestnutCreek; Nov. 27, 2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: typo
    Chestnut Creek Farm
    Visit us on Facebook!

Go to youtube and check out "TBO farms, perennial peanut hay."
    My good childhood friend, Sue, married a Tebeau, and they live in Kildare GA and raise perennial peanut hay.

Cloudy and Callie loved it and Callie was a finicky ottb mare. Cloudy and Hattie eat it daily. The Tebeau family knows all about peanut hay. (And Sue used to have a big black TWH where we were kids. Now they have QHs.)

And I forget the name of the hay dealer up here in Ga who buys up a lot of peanut hay not raised by the Tebeau family. That guy delivers to FL, but to the polo ponies down there. If you buy a lot of it, the Tebeau family may deliver.

I live outside of Savannah, so we are pretty far from you. It seems most of the perennial peanut hay is grown in the southern part of GA. I buy it from B & S feed in Springfield, Ga. It is $7.50 a bale and they are heavy bales.