The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How much to pay for "free" alternative therapy session?

I have recently been offered some "free" alternative therapy, by an equine practitioner looking to expand their current services and get their licence in a new field. They are offering their services at a discount/for free if the horse can be used in a case study as part of a final project.

I accepted the offer (thinking what did I have to lose as it did not involve any serious physical manipulation) and brought $20 for the person as an "optional gas/time donation".

Problem is, the person stayed for an hour an a half (if not more). I had no idea! I sort of felt embarrassed I offered them so little. Although I am still undecided whether this therapy actually makes a difference (of any sort), I felt like they deserved compensation for their professional attitude and thorough explanation of my horse's physical abnormalities.

How much do I pay this person next time? It's supposed to be "free" with optional donations but I felt cheap only giving the person $20.
    Horses - if God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself.

Check out My Horse Chat!

Did you learn more about the case study? Usually those have some sort of outside funding which covers cost of materials, time, labor etc.

How nice of you though!! Maybe get them a small gift - coffee gift certificate? Or to a tack store or something?

I suspect the person will be thrilled if you're gifting enough to cover gas costs - this is a requirement to the program & usually students are thrilled to have an accomodating owner & suitable horse to work on

If you want to pay more, look into local fees for similar treatments & offer 50% ...

I'd only offer coffee/tack shop gift cards IF the person is an ardent fan, oherwise I assume cash is always a better gift

Yeah after tonight (he was just "happy" like his old self!) I definitely see this therapist becoming an important member of my "horsecare team" if you know what I mean.

I will do 1/2 the local going rate... I think it will be along the lines of the number I was thinking about anyways.

Thanks!
    Horses - if God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself.

Check out My Horse Chat!