The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What websites do you go to if you're looking to buy a high-quality jumper?

Hi all,

I'm a three-day eventer, but I have a horse who has a tremendous amount of potential in the jumper ring who I'm interested in selling. Where do you think my time/money is best spent to advertise? Thanks in advance!

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

bigeq.com or hunterjumperexchange.com. In all honesty though, if I'm looking to spend big bucks, I wouldn't be looking on websites. Getting a reputable name attached to the horse will get it the high dollar exposure much faster than any website listing.

1 members found this post helpful.

exchangehunterjumper.com and bigeq.com are the only places I bother looking. Other than that I would only go through a trainer.

I think most potential buyers looking at those 2 sites are looking at proven high quality Jumpers, not young, untested prospects. Also read into your post you want a decent price for him?

Best way to sell is going to be getting it with a trainer who can get it to the ring at decent heights against decent competition to prove what it can do. Also consider that most trainers will have a number of sale horses or be able to present yours at a show where buyer can see others. In this economy, buyers are not going to flock to see a single horse well off the beaten track when they can see 6 in a day with a vet easily available.

Tough market.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Ditto what Findeight said

proequest.com

professionals only website so you can expect serious enquirys
    Timothy, stop lurking

1 members found this post helpful.

Also, shooling videos to highlight some special bonuses with your horse that might not be showcased in the ring is fine, but I really want to see a video from a show and I want the horse to jump clean on that video so I can show it to my customer. My customer will not understand that it was a tricky course or that you missed your distance, he will just see that the horse knocked a rail down.

Video tape every single show you go to just in case you need a sales video!

I get that it's not always possible, but everytime I see the 5 jump schooling video I think to myself, I wonder how many takes before they got that one right... I'm much more inclined to overlook a horse dong a bunny hop over a jump at a show because I know it was for real and in the heat of the moment. <a scooling video will have to be close to perfect or at least a 12-14 jump course so I know I'm not watching take 23 of the same thing!
    Timothy, stop lurking