The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 71 of 71
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2009
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    WOW people just WOW. Why can't you just talk to whoever is lunging or about to or whatever the hell and discuss the situation. Really??
    Well, given that there do not seem to be rules on lunging presently where I board, it would be a bit forward of me to just approach someone and suggest or imply that they can't lunge while I ride. For now, I have limited myself to just sadly asking how long they plan to lunge, and did once say that I was going to have to leave the ring due to the lunging (I had JUST gotten on and someone came in to lunge) if the lunging horse was going to act up (my horse was coming back from several days off after hock injections and was fairly lit up...he did end up handling the lunging fine).

    If it continues and happens a lot, I might try to politely talk to some of the people involved, but, really...not my barn and not my rules...not worth creating conflict on my end...I was mostly just curious if I'm in the minority in thinking the behavior is a bit rude. It's the kind of thing I would just never even think of doing because it strikes me as really rude...but so many other people do it and seem to think nothing of it that it got me wondering.



  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug. 1, 2007
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    3,843

    Default

    When I was riding up north and rode and in an indoor...

    If I was longeing with no riders in the arena, and a rider came in while I was in the middle of it, they yielded to me and stayed at the opposite end of the ring, but I tried to wrap it up ASAP so they could use the full space.

    If there was 1 or 2 horse and rider pairs already in the arena and I arrived after they had already begun riding and wanted to longe, I asked them if they minded and then would sequester myself at the far end and try to be done ASAP.

    If there were 3 or more horses and riders in the arena, or any lessons going on, I'd come back later.

    Also, if I was riding and someone came in and wanted to longe - I had no problem with it if I were the only other one or there was one more horse & rider pair in the ring with me at the time, as long as the person who wanted to longe asked if I minded. I never minded, but it's common courtesy to ask (and those who just barged in and started longeing without asking usually got an earful from me regarding manners)

    Also also, whip-crack etiquette is really important if you're longeing and you're not the only one in the ring!
    Last edited by ybiaw; Nov. 27, 2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added something; removed some repetition; removed some repetition
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    8,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    It is typically used on harness horses. Runs from their back (a surcingle if lunging, I would guess), up over the top of the neck, over the poll, down the front of the face, where it attaches on either side of the bit. From what I understand, it is to keep the horse from lowering its head. Luckily for me, I don't think I would ever be so unlucky as to find myself in a barn where this kind of thing is going on.
    So wait, one day of the week the overcheck goes on to prevent the horse from lowering its head and then the next day of the week the horse goes in drawreins?


    Am I stoned?
    I don't get it.



  4. #64
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2009
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    So wait, one day of the week the overcheck goes on to prevent the horse from lowering its head and then the next day of the week the horse goes in drawreins?


    Am I stoned?
    I don't get it.
    She is "developing the neck muscles," duh. Which we already know CANNOT be done other than by lunging for 30 minutes at a stretch. You can't very well develop the neck muscles if you don't hold artificially hold the neck in at least two positions, now, can you?



  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    8,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    She is "developing the neck muscles," duh. Which we already know CANNOT be done other than by lunging for 30 minutes at a stretch. You can't very well develop the neck muscles if you don't hold artificially hold the neck in at least two positions, now, can you?
    This thread is like a substance-free mind f*ck.

    Awesome!



  6. #66
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2009
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    This thread is like a substance-free mind f*ck.

    Awesome!
    And the best part is that I'm STILL very confused about whether the lunging situation I've been experiencing would be considered rude by most people or not. I think my take away from this thread is that opinions on lunging vary, a LOT! Which actually is good to know and useful in its own way.

    I just don't want to get all bent out of shape about something if *I* am actually the one with the unreasonable view (which I know can sometimes be the case!). I'm confident this will all work out fine because the group of people involved is a great group and I don't think it will get TOO out of hand. And, hey, I'm relatively positive that nothing could be worse than the lunging situation at the barn I was at last winter...so I can always remind myself about that!



  7. #67
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2008
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    3,940

    Default

    I'm in the always ask category - now that it's dark earlier as well - we need to be careful about scaring others horses as well.
    I'm not going to walk in when someone is already there - especially if it's a lesson and ASSume I can lunge with no problem. I find it very helpful to have all the lessons scheduled - then I pretty much have a clue when the arena is going to be open. MOST people at my barn are doing lessons. I also will use the outdoor arena if I can - I don't really care if my horse gets muddy out there - he's already gotten muddy out in his paddock that's just the kinda guy he is.
    I have been lunging in the arena and someone has asked me if it's ok to come and ride in there - I'm fine with that and I don't lunge for more than 20 minutes if that. It's doable and we have 3 trainers and 22+ horses.

    Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Well, given that there do not seem to be rules on lunging presently where I board, it would be a bit forward of me to just approach someone and suggest or imply that they can't lunge while I ride. For now, I have limited myself to just sadly asking how long they plan to lunge, and did once say that I was going to have to leave the ring due to the lunging (I had JUST gotten on and someone came in to lunge) if the lunging horse was going to act up (my horse was coming back from several days off after hock injections and was fairly lit up...he did end up handling the lunging fine).

    If it continues and happens a lot, I might try to politely talk to some of the people involved, but, really...not my barn and not my rules...not worth creating conflict on my end...I was mostly just curious if I'm in the minority in thinking the behavior is a bit rude. It's the kind of thing I would just never even think of doing because it strikes me as really rude...but so many other people do it and seem to think nothing of it that it got me wondering.



  8. #68
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2008
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    3,940

    Default

    No not really - it should be ask first - that's just common courtesy.
    But I admit I might be weird that way

    Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    And the best part is that I'm STILL very confused about whether the lunging situation I've been experiencing would be considered rude by most people or not. I think my take away from this thread is that opinions on lunging vary, a LOT! Which actually is good to know and useful in its own way.

    I just don't want to get all bent out of shape about something if *I* am actually the one with the unreasonable view (which I know can sometimes be the case!). I'm confident this will all work out fine because the group of people involved is a great group and I don't think it will get TOO out of hand. And, hey, I'm relatively positive that nothing could be worse than the lunging situation at the barn I was at last winter...so I can always remind myself about that!



  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jul. 5, 2007
    Location
    Beside Myself ~ Western NY
    Posts
    6,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    I don't have to share.
    Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Maybe I am misunderstanding, but are you suggesting that you don't have an obligation to share the arena politely with others? Because all along, I have been assuming that people maybe just are not thinking when they monopolize the ring...but if there are people out there who just categorically don't CARE...well...that would require a different approach entirely.
    No, I don't have to share because I am the sole boarder and the barn owner doesn't ride. I am capable of sharing (I think) but I haven't had much practice recently.



  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jul. 5, 2007
    Location
    Beside Myself ~ Western NY
    Posts
    6,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    So wait, one day of the week the overcheck goes on to prevent the horse from lowering its head and then the next day of the week the horse goes in drawreins?
    Yes. But, the draw reins would not be adjusted to lower the horse's head. They would likely be adjusted at wither height and used to encourage flexion at the poll. And they would likely be used in conjunction with the check.

    But honestly, an over check isn't (IMO) all that usefull for bitting a horse in lines as it acts on the pallet, encourages a horse to raise it's nose, and unless it is in the hands of a skilled trainer, can encourage a horse to invert it's neck and hollow it's back and develop all the wrong muscles. A side check, on the other hand, raises the bit in the sides of the horse's mouth much like a gag.

    You really have to already have self carriage and the right conformation for an overcheck to raise the head in a useful manner. The overcheck isn't a training tool. It is a safety device. BUT, you have to train the horse to deal with it.



  11. #71
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2009
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    No, I don't have to share because I am the sole boarder and the barn owner doesn't ride. I am capable of sharing (I think) but I haven't had much practice recently.
    Ah, got it! I figured I must have been misunderstanding that!



Similar Threads

  1. Is it ever rude to say hi at work?
    By twotrudoc in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Oct. 30, 2012, 10:51 PM
  2. Only child, rude people
    By LittleblackMorgan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: May. 29, 2012, 09:15 PM
  3. People are SO rude!
    By TrotTrotPumpkn in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Jul. 18, 2011, 10:48 AM
  4. Is it rude to BYOB?
    By Duramax in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: Dec. 27, 2010, 04:34 PM
  5. How Rude...:)
    By alliekat in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jul. 20, 2009, 04:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness