The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

^^ and here I am, feeling rude when I have to handwalk my injured horse while others are in the ring, because I feel like I'm in the way (even though I do my best to yield to the riders at all times). Silly me, I should just turn him loose and let him walk himself!
    friend of bar.ka

In my barn riding gets priority for the indoor (it is a small indoor; the outdoor is much bigger but eh, Canadian winters), and are expected to ask whether they can lunge if there's a rider. Some riders don't like it at all; I personally don't mind as long as the horse is behaving, and I actually like trying to time my passes with the lunging. Being constrained to only half of the arena would irritate me unless it was for only a short period of time.

Thanks for the input so far, everyone! For now, I think I'm going to wait and see if maybe I have just had an unlucky spell where this keeps happening. My hope is that it won't happen all the time, and that at least the people who are doing it might realize that they happen to be affecting me more frequently than others. We will see. To an extent, I'm trying to chalk it up to good desensitization for my horse...but that only goes so far in improving my mood about it, lol.

As for the suggestions that I let people know when I am riding and how long I will be in there...well...for one thing, I would not be comfortable announcing that or putting a note on the door, etc., because I'm happy to share the arena with others so long as their use of the arena does not unreasonably restrict my use of the arena. I don't want to imply that people can't come in. It always just seemed like common courtesy to me not to come in and lunge when someone is riding, because I would never even DREAM of doing that myself unless it was for a quick soundness check and the rider agreed.

Also, the people who come in to lunge right after I get on DO know that I just went into the arena. They often see me tack up, and they always see me walk into the arena. At a minimum, they always see my car in the driveway and could come look for me to ask my plans if they cared. That's what I do if I plan to lunge for some reason and I see that others are present - I ask them if they are planning to ride, already rode, etc. so that I know how to time my lunging. If others show up to ride, then I wait until they are done too. It just seems like common courtesy, but I guess it isn't. As a rider, if someone is already in there lunging when I arrive, I just wait until they are done, or I go in after they have been in there a while and am happy to walk on a 20 meter circle for a few minutes while they finish up.

I think someone hit the nail on the head when they say that lunging is a more "selfish" use of the arena. If I am riding and someone is lunging, the person lunging does not have their activity impacted at all (they lunge on a 20 meter circle, regardless of if they are alone or with company). But, as the rider, my activity is GREATLY restricted by the addition of someone lunging.

Sounds like this is the culture of your barn, which is not easy to change unless you get buy in from the trainers or barn management. Good luck!

Thankfully, lunging really isn't the culture at my facility, but we do have tacit rules since there are some times where it happens that someone wants to lunge out the sillies, do a lameness check, or do a lunge lesson for a beginner while people are riding. Unless it is a lesson, the people riding have priority. We don't have more than one lunger in the ring when people are riding and the person lunging asks permission. If it can be done safely, the lunger will try to keep the circle small enough to allow people to pass on the rail, if not, there is room enough in our small ring to allow riders to use about 2/3 of the ring comfortably. When there are people in the ring, lunge sessions are kept short out of respect for the riders (5, maybe 10 minutes). There are some people who occassionally do 20+ minute sessions in side reins, but it is done during times when the indoor is not being used for riding.

Lungeing is a form of conditioning and training as is riding - why should riding be first?? I never lunge my horses before I ride - I either ride or lunge - I have 3 horses to work and there would be no way I would wait until someone is done riding - I pay the same board and I should have the same use of the arena. All the barns I have been to everyone has the same access to the arena to do whatever they are doing. There is an outdoor - but in the winter time snow or no snow when your horses are under lights and do not grow a winter coat they don't get worked outside. I have only had 1 person that would not ride when someone was lunging - she went to the BO and the BO said learn how to ride with other people. I have 3 horses, she has 1, the BO told her she isn't losing income on 3 horses because of her 1 horse. No one lunges out of control, there is no bucking etc. it is for training and conditioning only. About 20 - 30 mins per horse. I am glad all the barns I have boarded at didn't have the rules some of your barns have, well I guess it wouldn't matter I wouldn't board there.

I'm glad you posted this. I'm in the Exact. Same. Situation - ring size and everything. It's really annoying. I can't get my work done on a 20m circle. My horse needs to be challenged and needs to be suppled and the longer I stay on a circle, the worse it gets.

So far I've been in the silent sufferer camp simply allowing myself to get chased out of the indoor, but also the outdoor hasn't been frozen yet. (Which also means that the beautiful new round pen with excellent footing isn't frozen either, but the Chronic Lunge-er apparently hasn't taken to it ... sigh) Today, with temps in the 30s and a snow/rain mix falling, I'm not high-tailing it outside. Something tells me my non-existent patience will be exhausted soon. Like in a few hours.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Quote Originally Posted by ArabX3 View Post
    I pay the same board and I should have the same use of the arena. All the barns I have been to everyone has the same access to the arena to do whatever they are doing.
    But the point is that your use of the arena for lunging actually means that someone like me would NOT have the same use of the arena as everyone else (at least where I board). Because you are taking up half of it for your exclusive use, thus preventing me full use of the facility.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would think it was rude if anyone whether lunging OR riding hogged up 1/2 of the arena for a long period of time. If it is a smaller area and is shared by all then I feel everyone must share no matter the activity they choose to do with their horse. If a person feels they need that much room for an extended period of time then it is up to them to figure out when it is convenient for everyone else, not the other way around.

Lungeing is a form of conditioning and training as is riding - why should riding be first?? I never lunge my horses before I ride - I either ride or lunge - I have 3 horses to work and there would be no way I would wait until someone is done riding - I pay the same board and I should have the same use of the arena. All the barns I have been to everyone has the same access to the arena to do whatever they are doing. There is an outdoor - but in the winter time snow or no snow when your horses are under lights and do not grow a winter coat they don't get worked outside. I have only had 1 person that would not ride when someone was lunging - she went to the BO and the BO said learn how to ride with other people. I have 3 horses, she has 1, the BO told her she isn't losing income on 3 horses because of her 1 horse. No one lunges out of control, there is no bucking etc. it is for training and conditioning only. About 20 - 30 mins per horse. I am glad all the barns I have boarded at didn't have the rules some of your barns have, well I guess it wouldn't matter I wouldn't board there.
    Is there some sort of training and conditioning that you can only achieve on a lunge line that you are not able to achieve under saddle where you take up much less of the ring?

I dunno, I feel like my horses are trained and conditioned just fine by me ...sitting on them and training and conditioning them. Half the arena all to myself not required.

[QUOTE=meupatdoes;6690083]Is there some sort of training and conditioning that you can only achieve on a lunge line that you are not able to achieve under saddle where you take up much less of the ring?

Yes there is - you can build up the muscles in the neck and train the muscles in their neck by using a overcheck. You can condition their body by the use of draw reins and giving to the bit. You can do the ground poles to build up the stifle muscles (I have one with a bad stifle), and back end. Its all part of conditioning. I lunge my horses 2 days a week, and ride 4 days a week, they get 1 day off. Weather usually permits which one

I have never boarded anywhere with a really small arena - if it isn't at least 60 x 100 it isnt worth me paying money. Currently you can lunge 2 horses and have 2 riders riding at the same time. You can move you horse on and off the rail as a rider passes. If I am lunging and someone comes into ride - thats fine with me, but I will not stop lunging - we will have to work together or you can wait. As for working with ground poles I only do that when no one else is around because it is hard to ride around someone using those.

Quote Originally Posted by salymandar View Post
    Sounds like this is the culture of your barn, which is not easy to change unless you get buy in from the trainers or barn management. Good luck!
    The odd thing is that, on the whole, I would not say this is the culture of the facility at all! It definitely was the culture at the barn I was at last winter, and I agree...there was nothing that could be done about that at all (and it was a TRAIN WRECK - horses frequently got loose lunging while people were riding, the lunging horses were categorically out of control, and so on). However, where I am at now is a really good group of educated and competent horse owners with very few exceptions. That's why I'm really, really hoping my recent experiences have been some kind of a fluke!

Yes there is - you can build up the muscles in the neck and train the muscles in their neck by using a overcheck. You can condition their body by the use of draw reins and giving to the bit.
    Not to derail my own thread, but you basically lunge so that you can use gadgets and force your horse into a "frame" so that you don't have to do the actual work of developing the horse properly. It's not that you CAN'T do these things while riding, it is that you are too lazy to do them while riding.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Is there some sort of training and conditioning that you can only achieve on a lunge line that you are not able to achieve under saddle where you take up much less of the ring?
    Sure. Bridle work. Plus, I can't SEE my horse when I'm sitting on it.

regardless, it is not exactly nice to insist on your way of training for the day when the arena/area is full.

Sure you can't see the horse when sitting on top (lunging has benefits) but it is incredibly rude to hog half of the arena when more than two people are riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

It could be. I don't have to share. And the barns where long lining (double longing) was part of the culture, there was a seperate round pen to use. But, we did have to learn to cooperate with those who used jog carts. At least the OP doesn't have to cope with THAT

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Not to derail my own thread, but you basically lunge so that you can use gadgets and force your horse into a "frame" so that you don't have to do the actual work of developing the horse properly. It's not that you CAN'T do these things while riding, it is that you are too lazy to do them while riding.
    Yeeeaaaah, I too haven't really found myself thwarted in my pursuit of developing the topline and conditioning the body of the horse by limiting myself to merely a snaffle... I really do not see how this in ONLY achieveable via a longe line and gadgets???

This horse, for example, pictured one year apart, was never once longed or ridden in anything other than a snaffle (and possibly a standing martingale in his first week with me). One arena he was ridden in had mirrors, the other did not so the necessity of being able to see him is debatable.

No trainer has yet pointed out to me that there is a ginormous lack of development in any of my horses' toplines and that I really must fix this with draw reins but perhaps one day the day will come. Perhaps they will also explain to me what an "overcheck" even IS.

WOW people just WOW. Why can't you just talk to whoever is lunging or about to or whatever the hell and discuss the situation. Really??
    Where I'm at I'm in the position of almost everyone else is with a trainer - I'm not.
    I'm also lunging my horse at the moment.
    I do my best to lunge when no one else is around. If I can, I do it in the daytime when I can use the outdoor. It's dark by 5:00 at night and if I can't see what's going on there isn't much of a point to it.
    I also don't go on forever.
    As it is I have to work around 3 trainers schedules.
    The rule at the barn is that all lessons need to be written on the board. I time my visits to that.
    Other than that we seem to be able to talk to each other and work it out.

2 members found this post helpful.

I haven't read all the replies, but I totally agree with those that have said that riders ALWAYS have the right of way. The arena I ride in is about 20x60m. If someone is in there riding, it is common curtesy to ASK if they are ok with you coming in and longeing. If someone is already in the longeing, I usually wait until they are about done before I head in, especially if it's a horse that's just getting his bucks out.

There is nothing that makes me more irritated than someone coming in to longe a horse while there are riders without asking and knowing the horse is going to be an idiot. Thank goodness my guy is really quiet, and the few times that has happened he doesn't get too phased (even when the horse on the lungeline in a HALTER spins out and starts galloping down the long side straight at him with his person skiing at the end of the line trying to stop him) but there are times when I am riding a young horse who is not nearly as quiet, and getting into a huge collision involving a loose horse with a 30' line attached to it is generally not in my riding plan!

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    It could be. I don't have to share.
    Maybe I am misunderstanding, but are you suggesting that you don't have an obligation to share the arena politely with others? Because all along, I have been assuming that people maybe just are not thinking when they monopolize the ring...but if there are people out there who just categorically don't CARE...well...that would require a different approach entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Perhaps they will also explain to me what an "overcheck" even IS.
    It is typically used on harness horses. Runs from their back (a surcingle if lunging, I would guess), up over the top of the neck, over the poll, down the front of the face, where it attaches on either side of the bit. From what I understand, it is to keep the horse from lowering its head. Luckily for me, I don't think I would ever be so unlucky as to find myself in a barn where this kind of thing is going on.