The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Staying Within The Confines of a Registry??

How hard do you try to stay within the confines of your chosen registry...or do you? We started out with Hanoverian branded mares and I like the registry so this is what we did the last few years (we are SpruceView Hanoverians after all lol ). However, I now have three mares that are not branded H and if I want to register the foals H I have to breed to an H branded stallion. I feel a bit like this is limiting me from making the best stallion choice for my mares....but I am worried it is going to get a bit complicated going with multiple registries.

I know this isn't a big deal I am just curious as to whether others out there let registry "limit" their stallion choices or do you pick a stallion for your mare and then register the foal accordingly? (assuming mare is eligible for approval with multiple registries).

www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

This is just me personally. . I breed Trakehners, which is a closed book. I do not breed my approved Trakehner mares outside the breed, and I also don't own any non-Trakehner (or approved TB for the TK) mares.

I made the decision to breed TKs due to my love of the breed, once I knew this is what I was doing it narrows down my choices and makes my life easier! Lol. Besides, my breed of choice is pretty small all things considered and as a dressage judge once told me (regarding my breed) "it's a good refining breed that brings good attributes to the other breeds so someone has to keep breeding quality purebreds!"
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

2 members found this post helpful.

I won't say the C word because we have had that conversation before. But I will throw in that it is in these cases that a WB registry that covers all major European registries can be a big benefit to breeders in NA. You lose some of the cache but it makes life simpler and the horse is the same quality.
    But you do lose the prestige and organization and branding of the larger registry. I know many other breeders in Alberta that use one of the Canadian registries for their off breeding ideas and most belong to and produce registered horses with one of the major European registries.
    Or you could try and get the mare approved with the KWPN?? (did I guess right) at the next inspection. Phone Jackie, she should be able to help you out.

I have a non Hano mare that is approved AHS and I can breed to stallions without a H brand and register them AHS. So can you explain further? Maybe I'm just not understanding?

I am not registry loyal AT ALL. I have used a total of 4 registries in the past, and while I'd like to narrow that down to about 2, it doesn't look like that is going to work in the forseeable future. I want to breed jumpers, and registry isn't that important to me. I generally choose stallions that I believe compliment my mares and then go from there. I do take registry into consideration late in the decision making process, because I'm not looking to expand into having to use more registries than I already am
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

This is one of the main reasons I use a registry I do. They have a lot of flexibility allowing me to use most stallions approved by the mayor studbooks plus any the registry themselves have inspected and approved.

I can't imagine having to go to different inspections with different mares and foals. Driving to one hours away is challenging enough. A less restrictive registry works for me. One studbook, one membership, one inspection, just makes life easier.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post
    I feel a bit like this is limiting me from making the best stallion choice for my mares....but I am worried it is going to get a bit complicated going with multiple registries.

I know this isn't a big deal I am just curious as to whether others out there let registry "limit" their stallion choices or do you pick a stallion for your mare and then register the foal accordingly? (assuming mare is eligible for approval with multiple registries).

We would not ever let the registry limit your ability to make the best choice for your mare. The market is not looking for more registered horses in this economy, it is looking for outstanding horses that can win. As history has shown over and over during the down times, the money is still there for those that can produce them. Good luck OP with your choices!

Do you guys get your mares approved with many different registries? Is that a hard thing to do assuming you have a WB mare registered in one of the main registries?

eta: I have a GOV registered mare - could I get her approved HAN if needed? (she is by a HAN stallion)

I have a bit of a split view on this. I have a premium graded trakehner mare that I'll use for breeding at the end of her competition career. I intend breeding at least one purebred trakehner. All the others will be registered AES as they accept mares graded into other WBFSH studbooks without inspecting them. They also allow you to use any stallion graded with any WBFSH recognised studbook.

So I'm going to support a closed studbook as well as going with the most open studbook I can find.

Yes and No. Like acottongim I breed Trakehners and have purebred Trakehner mares and try to the best of my ability to stay within the Registry because they are a breed. However, I will go out of Registry (as I have done this year) if I feel a stallion really has something extra to bring to the table that I can't find in a Trakehner stallion for one reason or another (as I am limited to fresh). I'd rather breed the best horse I can breed rather than breed the best Trakehner I can breed - because there's always appendix papers and those foals are eligible for approval in other registries anyway.

I pick stallions based on everything but registry I do find that GOV has flexible registry options - with a MMB mare, I can register foals with an outside stallion (and just pay a $100 outside stallion fee).

I'm with Vandenbrink on this.... She didn't mention the registry but it's the one that appears in my signature block. They make it very easy to breed to "outside" stallions and I have yet to feel limited in my choice.
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

We made the decision early on in our breeding program to breed more toward a specific discipline (hunters) than for a particular breed. I had hoped to stay within a couple different registries but I'm finding that harder and harder to do. I choose my registry on a variety of factors but above all I choose the stallion that best suits my mare and my intended discipline. Don't get me wrong, registry is a factor (I do prefer to use a European based registry and try to stick to a registry my mare is already approved with) but it usually comes lower on the list.
    In 2013 I will be going to 3 different inspections (only expecting 4 foals!)...and if all goes as planned I will be going to 4 in 2014. Some of that is due to new mares that are registered/approved with some new registries for me (the mares all met my criteria for a top hunter broodmare so I did not care that they were not approved with the registries I'm a current member of) and I've found it has increased my options for stallions. Paying all the membership dues is kind of expensive but it's also REALLY nice to only have to have a few bathed and braided at a time All of the inspections are day trips for me too which helps. I've also found a few people looking for a breed specific hunter prospect so it widens my net a bit.
    Last edited by NorthHillFarm; Dec. 4, 2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: clarification

I definitely know where you are coming from. I am involved with multiple registries right now. I have a SWANA mare and registered her foal SWANA. I am still stuck on my Hanoverian mare and am thinking of going GOV with her just because the inspection site is so much closer though she is eligible for full approval. I now have a KWPN mare who I would like to register her foals with that registry. Anything not eligible for main studbook I usually go CWHBA since it is more economical.

At some point here I am going to have to narrow down the registries as the membership fees really add up! I like SWANA since I don't HAVE to inspect the foals to register them if I chose not to once the dam and one foal has been presented in the past. I have debated going GOV with a lot of my mares as well to narrow things down, we will see how it goes...
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

I'm like you, Donella; for years I have had two Hanoverian broodmares and I stuck with them. However, I have an ISR/Oldenburg mare, and given the choice of AHS or GOV for breeding, I chose GOV. I like very much the ability to breed to any stallion approved by a major recognized registry. I have found them easy to work with, with convenient inspections. I still have one AHS mare, and seriously considered presenting her GOV. I may yet do it if the right stallion comes along.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I'm lucky that the registry for my breed-of-choice is just open enough and at the same time just restrictive enough -- breeders have flexibility, but there are still enough guidelines that the registry can maintain its reputation and credibility. I can't imagine ever wanting to breed something which wouldn't be eligible for full registration.

If things were different, I don't know. I wouldn't want a registry to stop me from making the best stallion/mare pairing, but I also wouldn't want to breed something which couldn't be registered with any reputable registry. A little flexibility can be a good thing -- but breeding so far outside the box that nobody reputable would register the foal probably isn't a good plan..... That doesn't sound like the case here though! If it's an either/or between AHS and KWPN, they're both such reputable registries I wouldn't be worried and I'd go with the breeding choice I felt was best.

Although I do completely understand and respect registry loyalty.

-Gigha
    River Oaks Farm - home of the Elite Book Friesian Sporthorse Grand Prix dressage stallion Lexington - sire of four consecutive FSA National Inspection Champions. Endorsing the FSA.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    I have a non Hano mare that is approved AHS and I can breed to stallions without a H brand and register them AHS. So can you explain further? Maybe I'm just not understanding?
    If you have a non-Hanoverian mare that is approved AHS and you don't need a Hanoverian stallion, then your mare must carry at least 50% Hanoverian blood. Otherwise, your non-Hanoverian mare would have to be bred to a stallion having a minimum of 50% Hanoverian blood (typically one that is branded "H" but Pablo is an example of a non-Hanoverian stallion that can be used since he has 62.5% Hanoverian blood).

All of our mares are multi-registry approved. We breed primarily Hanoverian but want to maintain flexibility based on our stallion choices.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kokoda View Post
    If you have a non-Hanoverian mare that is approved AHS and you don't need a Hanoverian stallion, then your mare must carry at least 50% Hanoverian blood. Otherwise, your non-Hanoverian mare would have to be bred to a stallion having a minimum of 50% Hanoverian blood (typically one that is branded "H" but Pablo is an example of a non-Hanoverian stallion that can be used since he has 62.5% Hanoverian blood).

All of our mares are multi-registry approved. We breed primarily Hanoverian but want to maintain flexibility based on our stallion choices.
    I have an Arabian mare that is approved AHS. I can breed to any branded/registered/approved Hanoverian stallion or as you stated a non Hano stallion that is approved AHS and carries 50% Hanoverian blood. At least this is how it was explained to me by AHS. So I did understand correctly. Thanks for further clarifying.

I kept my post general and didn't mention the specific registry since that tends to make these threads go all different kinds of directions...but since everyone else is being so specific, I'll add that my registry of choice is CWHBA. I have a number of Dutch papered mares, I like the dutch bloodlines but I register all the foals CWHBA. I don't pick and choose. Too much hassle, too many different inspections to go to...too expensive plus many other reasons that have been discussed a number of times on this board. They are restrictive enough in my books, but leave me with plenty of options.

Most buyers will buy the best horse regardless of the logo on the paper ....as a breeder I need a registry that works for me.

P.S..yes that's a dutch name...VandenBrink. I am dual registered myself LOL

3 members found this post helpful.

Sorry I made the wrong assumption, Vandenbrink. I seemed to remember you discussing Dutch bloodlines in the past and that, coupled with your Dutch name obviously made me jump to a conclusion...
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.