The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stallion suggestions please

I am looking for a stallion for the 2013 season to breed a TB mare to. She has a great mind, good basic gaits, and has a good jump. I am looking for a stallion with a strong loin and well angled hind legs. Her trot also needs some improvement, but I still need to be able to sit it . I would also like to add a little quickness off the ground for jumps and MUST have a good mind!!! I compete in eventing and would love if the future baby could go intermediate to advanced. Do to vet restrictions the stallion must be available via cooled semen to the US. I have a few stallions I have looked at but really want to expand this search. I don't have a breed preference. Sheen is big so height isn't a huge concern, just want something between 16-17ish hands. Great mind, soundness, and work ethic are my biggest concerns

Windfall or Stiletto have both done it and produced it.

The ATA stallion service auction starts February 1st ish

Hi please take a look at our boys we stand five stallions and are available to ship fresh to the US. Zeno (Quattro x Burgraaf) is a lovely mover and several of his babies have been bought as upper level event prospects. Talme (Wellington x Alme) also has interesting bloodlines and also a great gallop and super brave.
    www.kvf.ca or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/KlondikeVictoryFarm?ref=stream

Windfall is a bit out of my price range and Sheen has a grey family on the sire side and I really would prefer bay or chestnut she is bay but I know she caries a grey gene as well as a recessive chestnut gene, all behind her dominant blood bay coloring . Thank you for the suggestions please keep them coming

FYI - you will not get a grey unless one of the parents is a grey regardless what their other family members are.... so if you breed your bay mare to a non grey horse you won't get a grey . (there aren't too many hard and fast givens but this one).
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyn921 View Post
    Windfall is a bit out of my price range and Sheen has a grey family on the sire side and I really would prefer bay or chestnut she is bay but I know she caries a grey gene as well as a recessive chestnut gene, all behind her dominant blood bay coloring . Thank you for the suggestions please keep them coming
    Grey is dominant. If a grey gene is present, the horse will be grey.

The following is not mine, but a good quick explanation of grey:
    Many people do not realize that grey is not a distinct, separate
    color. Because it is so common, it is often classified along with bay,
    chestnut and black as a "basic" color. However, all grey horses are
    also either bay, chestnut or black, in addition to being grey. This is
    because the gene for grey (G) is a modifier which, over time, replaces
    the original dark hairs with white hairs. In other words, grey is not a
    color, but rather a gene responsible for the progressive loss of the
    original hair color. Because the gene affects the hair, and not the
    pigment in the skin, grey horses retain the black skin they were born
    with, which makes them easy to distinguish from horses that are truly
    white.
    In regards to inheritance, grey is what is termed a simple
    dominant. This means that if it is inherited, the effect (progressive
    lightening of the coat) will be visible. It is not possible for grey to
    remain "hidden" in a breed for generations and crop up unexpectedly;
    the grey gene will lighten the horse no matter what other colors,
    modifiers or patterns are present. For this reason, a grey horse will
    always have at least one grey parent. Statistically, a grey horse will
    produce 50% grey foals, unless he carries two grey genes
    ("homozygous" for grey), in which case all his foals will be grey. -Lesli Kathman

Concerto Grosso is a good cross on a TB mare and one of the best bargains out there IMHO. His son Counterpoint did very well in the YEH classes and is now showing in the young jumpers. He seems to be very fertile. We used him twice and the mare conceived first try both times. I hear this is pretty much the norm.

Cascani sired Fleeceworks Cinco but he IS grey and you must be able to time your breeding very well -be ready for same day insemination and running a counter to counter shipment of semen.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Take a look at Carracci. Exceptional rideability, fabulous canter, a good dose of blood with Grundyman as his dam sire, and very strongly coupled.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ponygirl View Post
    Take a look at Carracci. Exceptional rideability, fabulous canter, a good dose of blood with Grundyman as his dam sire, and very strongly coupled.
    Love what I have seen of him so far . Waiting for conformation photos of him

Consider Holsteiner stallion Lotus T - he is 70% TB and he has proven that he produces phenomenal horses out of TB mares. He was also named by potentially the best event sire in North America by the USEA magazine in an article based on his breeding and his performance at the 100-day testing.

another good cross is ROC USA.. he has TB blood as well.
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

My SWB stallion, Gauguin du Cheval 9054 has produced an approved stallion son from a TB mare and a Jumping Diploma mare from a TB mare. He has a strong loin and is short coupled. He personally evented for a single year and competed successfully through Prelim always double clean (sometimes time faults) and usually won the dressage. He is 35% TB and 5% Shagya Arab. See my facebook page for a breeding special. https://www.facebook.com/TeamGauguin

I should mention that he has won 3 USDF HOY awards - both under saddle and been the USDF Mature Stallion Champion HOY. He passes along his gaits!
    Last edited by equusaround; Dec. 14, 2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: added a sentence
    Georgia Langsam
    Team Gauguin, LLC - www.teamgauguin.com
    Standing Gauguin du Cheval 9054, Prestige II TG, Gauguin's Impression, Gauguin's Brush and Weltfrieden TG