The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stress/chronic fracture of sesamoid :(

I was running in May and caught the edge of a curb between my 1st and 2nd metatarsals. Very painful range of motion of all toes and weight bearing. Basically continued normal activity (daily running and riding) because I didn't have time to have a broken foot with nursing school (I would have to repeat every course I've already taken and graduate at least a full year late).

Finally went to Dr. in August...stress fracture of 2nd metatarsal and possible of sesamoid. Wore boot for 4 weeks with VERY limited activity. I was a really good girl, I swear. Wore it for 6 more weeks when I wasn't in the hospital working. October, still not better. Doctor said "give it more time."

Second opinion last week, 2nd metatarsal healed, sesamoid is indeed very visibly fractured. Ditch the boot, rigid metal plate in my running shoe to prevent motion (same treatment as for turf toe). I still have painful range of motion and limited flexion of my big toe. I feel like this is never going to heal any advice to help it heal?

When I had sesamoiditis with a potential fracture, what helped me was better shoes (I'd been doing barn work in my Doc Martins) and a looooong course of Celebrex. I was on it for probably 6 months.

Have they talked about surgery for you? A friend of mine was not able to heal a sesamoid injury, but surgery plus careful healing resolved her problems.

I wound up wearing a bone stimulator for my sesamoid fracture.

http://www.biomet.com/patients/niStimulation/index.cfm

Wore the Herman Munster boot for about 8 weeks and it was a little bit better but still hurt. Podiatrist suggest the stimulator so I gave it a try. I don't remember how long I wore it at night (it was a while) but eventually my sesamoid stopped hurting. Whether it was due to the stimulator or just time I don't know, but it can't hurt!

Unfortunately insurance may not pay for it.