The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Probably was offended by the cost (which is about what I pay and tip, to the owner, too)

I just tip on my card, on the machine. If more than one person did parts of the service, they can divide it however they care to, I'm not going to stress about it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Looks like there are other people who are confused about tipping like I am lol!

I never knew about not tipping the owner...that's good to know. I'm thinking next time I'm in, I'll just tell them that the tip includes a couple of dollars for the girl that washes and blow dries and they can divi it up.

Also $215 doesn't seem like alot if your getting a cut and color. I'm going to guess that included highlights? So say cut for $40 + $100+ for highlights and add tax and that'll probably get you into the $215 range. Aveda Salon by any chance?

OK, I quit having my color professionally done because by the time I left, I was out around $250 after paying for the color ($130 for full foils, and my colorist was REALLY good) and tipping her plus the assistant and the shampoo person.

Then, because haircuts at this salon were more than I thought I needed to pay for shoulder-length straight hair that has no layers or anything weird to mess with, I drove wet-headed to Supercuts for the trim.

Blow-drying was MUCH more, like $30, even with no haircut. Really, after what I'd paid for the color, I'd have happily traded the neck and shoulder massage that came with the shampoo for a quick shot with the dryer. Hell, hand ME the dryer and I'll be outta your way in ten minutes.

So I finally learned how to color my own. Costs me about $25 for all the supplies at Sally Beauty Supply.

1 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Boy am I glad I go to Maia at the local Hair Cuttery (you rock, Maia ) and don't have to worry about splitting tips. I tip 20% for a wash and cut. No blow dry or my hair does strange things reminiscent of the 80's.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

OMG I am so glad I live in a country where tipping isn't standard and save myself from all this angst

Stylists usually make 50% commission and sometimes have to pay the owner for the color they use on their clients (usually under $10). The owner gets the other 50%. If the owner does your hair, she keeps the cost of the service. So, if you get a $50 haircut, the stylist and owner each get $25. If the owner cuts it, she keeps the whole $50. That's why you usually aren't expected to tip the owner.

If several people worked on you, ask for a breakdown of the bill when you check out. Shampooers usually get a few bucks. If your tip gets put into an envelope, write a little note if you were happy with your service. Even a happy face makes us feel good.

The hair people at the salon where I work make a LOT of money. Sure, they hustle and are constantly on their feet all day, but some are making over $1000 before taxes, plus tips (mostly unclaimed...shhhh). And some work only 4 days a week. Makes me wish I did hair instead of massage. I'm crippled from doing it and get screwed on tips when they use gift cards.

Quote Originally Posted by pony baloney View Post
    If several people worked on you, ask for a breakdown of the bill when you check out. Shampooers usually get a few bucks. If your tip gets put into an envelope, write a little note if you were happy with your service. Even a happy face makes us feel good.

The hair people at the salon where I work make a LOT of money. Sure, they hustle and are constantly on their feet all day, but some are making over $1000 before taxes, plus tips (mostly unclaimed...shhhh).
    That's a small part (the other, much bigger part is convenience) of why I tip on the card, not cash (shhhh).

But also...seriously with the bill breakdown and making little separate notes? Restaurant waitstaff manages to figure out how to tip-out busboys and whatnot, I assume haircutters can figure out how to tip-out their hairwashers. It's BS like that that makes some people so antsy about getting a tipped service, because they don't know how to do it "right".
    I tip on the bill total - you figure out the split amongst yourselves, don't bother me with it.

Wow... I have never been more thankful for having a natural hair color I love (every stylist I've ever met had told me never to color it as most people would pay a fortune for my color)... And a good friend who happens to work in a salon! I only started even going to her salon about 6 months ago. For the past 10-15 years all I've done is have my mother trim a few inches off every 6 months or so (straight across the back - my hair is about mid-back length). My friend who is a stylist is wonderful and has now added layers in my hair that I love. I trust her more than most of the more "upscale" establishments in town (she is young and just starting out). She only charges me $9 for my cut (plus wash, blow dry, and style if I want) as a friend. So I typically tip her VERY well - I pay more in tip than I do for the cut And even though I can cut his hair (and have every 6 weeks for the past 7.5yrs) I also make my SO go to her for hair cuts now to give her business. Thank goodness I live where I do - I'd have to go back to my back porch haircuts if I had to pay what some of you are!
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."