The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Purina "Hydraton Hay"

Has anyone tried Purina's new chopped hay product called Hydration Hay? Comes in a compressed "block" of finely chopped hay that you drop into a big bucket and soak?

Thinking about trying one for a senior horse with no molars. Problem is this horse usually doesn't like soaked feed or soaked cubes/hay (unless it's bran mash!) AND he has lost interest in the standard dry Dengie products.

Anyone? Link:

http://horse.purinamills.com/product...2-0029367.aspx
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

$2000/ton hay.
    Wow.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Iride View Post
    Has anyone tried Purina's new chopped hay product called Hydration Hay? Comes in a compressed "block" of finely chopped hay that you drop into a big bucket and soak?

Thinking about trying one for a senior horse with no molars. Problem is this horse usually doesn't like soaked feed or soaked cubes/hay (unless it's bran mash!) AND he has lost interest in the standard dry Dengie products.

Anyone? Link:

http://horse.purinamills.com/product...2-0029367.aspx

I have one just like yours, and I am interested but don't want to waste the $$ to buy a whole package of it.

I have a feeling my senior won't eat it, as she won't eat soaked hay cubes or feed. Have you tried TC chopped forage or even TNT chops? I find sometimes if I switch up the brands she'll eat it again. I've know discovered TC alfalfa is much softer than the dengie alfalfa and she seems to eat that well.

MLB, do you feed her the Triple Crown Alfalfa dry? Is it straight chopped alfalfa? Wondering if I should try that one. I have fed the TNT but it's only 50% alfalfa.

My horse loves it but he drops it and it gets wet from his mouth then he doesn't want to keep eating it when it's wet with saliva.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

The hydration blocks are designed as a supplement rather than as a sole source of hay. They are meant to give to horses to encourage water intake, and to travel easily with you to shows. I tried one with my mare and she slurped it right up. I plan on using the rest when the show season picks up.