The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A little dab will do ya

Remember the good old days when you knew what the commercial was selling? Most of the time I don't know what the heck is being advertised!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Brylcream, a little dab will do ya, Brylcream, you'll be so debonaire......that's all I can remember but it, along with 'Rinso's got new blue dots', 'Brusha brusha brusha with new Ipana toothpaste' it is firmly stuck in my mind. In those days, most products seemed to have a spokesperson, albeit animated like Bucky Beaver (Ipana), that little sailor (Alka-Seltzer), the Gillette parrot, etc. Now they have random songs from the 80s for many commercials. How in HELL do you equate Pop Goes the World with Tide laundry detergent???

THe new commercials also have no class, just images cobbled together and shot across the screen so fast you can't see what anything is to the end when there is a product shot and the splash screen. Long ago, commercials had some humour and there was one for coffee crystals that was actually told a story over the course of a year or so; can't remember the name of the coffee crystals but sure remember Anthony Head as the actor and yes, he still acts and still looks good. There was also Chuck McCaan in the neighbour's medicine cabinet hawking Right Guard with the line "One shot and I'm good for the whole day"
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

1 members found this post helpful.

I will always remember that Timex takes a licking and keeps on ticking. In a nutshell you know it's a watch that can take abuse. And as a horse owner my watches get abused.

and what was "Indescribably delicious"?

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    and what was "Indescribably delicious"?
    Crikey, it's on the tip of my tongue!! Cannot catch the image though. Who was "Quick Carl"?