The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Boy View Post
    From a cost perspective, we just got a quote for the whole package (metal and wood) for a 12x18 shed for around $2,200. Just the materials, we have to build.
    Yes, and as someone who's having a couple of run-ins built as we speak, the labor (around here, again, an expensive area) is going to be $2,000+.

Can you add onto the existing run-in as someone else suggested? Can they do the work? I bought two run-ins and left a 10' gap between them. I then just had to slap a back wall and roof and have another "bay".

If the BO/family can do most of the work themselves it won't be as expensive as I'm saying.

If she's not running the barn as a business then it doesn't make sense to incur a substantial cost to accomodate a boarder.

What are the alternatives? Can your horse be brought in during bad weather? Can the others be blanketed? Can the existing run-in be modified (overhang, extension)? Any new run-in will have to be big enough to accomodate the other three, b/c a bully will take the biggest section for himself. (The bully here hogged the 10 x 24 run-in, while the three horses that liked to share crammed into the 10 x 10 space mentioned above!).

I would agree with the above posters that said to modify the current run-in.
    Either knock down a wall and extend it out the side, knock down the back wall and extend it out the back or come out the front with a longer over hang and a side wall, or put up a temp wooden wall. (the kind where you drop boards in to make the wall).

Quote Originally Posted by SS_for_Jonesbug View Post
    I would agree with the above posters that said to modify the current run-in.
    Either knock down a wall and extend it out the side, knock down the back wall and extend it out the back or come out the front with a longer over hang and a side wall, or put up a temp wooden wall. (the kind where you drop boards in to make the wall).
    This. Adding another turnout will be a waste of money and even placing it close to the original one will likely be a waste. The horses don't know where they are expected to stand.

I thought the OP said they already tried adding a dividing wall.

I own a horse that is a bully. Nothing short of a solid wall would keep her from chasing those that she does not like out of the shelter.

OP, why didn't dividing the run-in work?

Perhaps the above suggestion of a solid wall dividing it would work.

Quote Originally Posted by dacasodivine View Post
    OP, why didn't dividing the run-in work?
    It wasn't an actual solid wall. This is a small run-in, so the BO strung a length of tarp from the back wall out of the entrance, as a test to see if my horse would get the idea of a divided run-in. She says he basically just blocked the entrance anyway.

Not so much for the OP, but for those saying more than one run-in doesn't work --- here's a picture of my set-up with essentially three run-ins side by side:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

You can see the homemade section in the middle.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTbred View Post
    It wasn't an actual solid wall. This is a small run-in, so the BO strung a length of tarp from the back wall out of the entrance, as a test to see if my horse would get the idea of a divided run-in. She says he basically just blocked the entrance anyway.
    Is the run-in open in front? Perhaps extend the division past the entrance.

It really does sound too small. Either this one needs to be made bigger or another built. I still say it's on the BO since she hasn't provided adequate shelter for the number of horses, but the BO may not be willing to pay for it.

You probably are going to have to ask yourself what it's worth for your horse to stay there. Do you have other options of places to keep your horse if the cost is not worth it to you?

2 members found this post helpful.

I like your set up, SMF. Very cool.

I think more than one run in works, though clearly it depends on your animals. If you have the type that prefers to stand outside then adding space for them to be inside will not do diddly. If you have a horse that truly wants to be inside (and has been more than willing to stand inside in the past but now the new bully will not let them in) a second run in will most likely fix the problem.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think it would be cheaper for all involved to modify the existing structure by either tacking on bay(s) to a side(s), extending a overhang on two sides, etc. If there's enough of a gap between the entrances of the bay(s), the bully horse won't be able to protect all openings all the time.

As for who will pay for it -- tougher call! If the BO was in the boarding business to make money, I could understand why expanding the shelter would be a benefit in the long run and therefore should pay for it to have more quality control over the product. If it's more of a personal friend on their personal property thing, 50/50 is reasonable since her horses will benefit as well.

I'd seriously look into adapting the existing structure by adding another bay with a gap between the doors and see what the cost on that would be.

Default Update: A happy compromise

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences and suggestions. I printed out portions of this thread for the BO, who was more than willing to consider all the options.

After getting a quote from her builder, she decided that instead of building a separate run-in, she would put up some fencing to create two separate paddock areas.

In bad weather, they'll put my bully into the side area (already positioned against wind/rain) as his own little space. The other two retirees will share the run-in proper. During regular weather, the three will roam the rest of the pasture as usual.

And the BO has offered to do this without surcharging me. Needless to say, she's getting a nice Xmas present this year.

10 members found this post helpful.

I am glad to hear you guys came to a happy for all decision.