The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Now why in the heck did I get a thumbs down for THAT post? LOL Goodness. I will never understand this thumbs up/down business.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

3 members found this post helpful.

Eh, just laugh those off. Someone went through the Dr. Who thread and gave thumbs down for posting that I'd bought a sticker for my car. Whateves, LOL!

The other thing could be an accidental red thumb. I was trying to give someone a thumbs up yesterday but coughed and hit the down instead. I wasn't yet to the end of the thread, so I thought I'd wait to see if I had additional thoughts to add to my apology. Except that I didn't, got distracted by trying to cough up a lung, and now can't remember what thread it was It would be nice to have a single option to change the vote, just in case you hit the wrong one.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Now why in the heck did I get a thumbs down for THAT post? LOL Goodness. I will never understand this thumbs up/down business.
    It was a sensible post. Probably just an accident.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

HighFlyinBey, that's a great point. The steam-fitter communicated directly with Mary regarding the extent of the damage as well as the cause of damage to the radiator (boy, am I glad I documented when moving in that the previous tenants, not us, had been the one to put that radiator up on blocks in what the steam-fitter called "a misguided cluster**** of a job to try to heat it faster.") I think she's pretty on board with the extent, but that's still a good idea for us to clarify with her, especially as re. our liability. The biggest issue from my perspective isn't the water damage, since we have a game plan for how to address that; but the fact that our heat is unreliable. (In the process of typing this out I'm now wondering if maybe the problem isn't that our thermostat just sucks. The boiler seems like it's working fine.) Bottom line is that right now I am very glad we have a working fireplace and a woodpile.

Of course, the reason we have the woodpile is that when we moved in in August 2011, the neighbor's tree had been down in our yard since Christmas 2010. Bob was being paid to chop it up for the neighbor. The tree actually got chopped in March 2012, when I politely threw a fit. Bob then took half the wood to the neighbor and left the rest strewn all over our yard. Promptness and communication problems are not new. Free firewood, anyway.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

bob sounds like an asshole.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    bob sounds like an asshole.
    The kicker is, he really isn't. He is just the biggest socially inept space case I have ever met. He is really a nice guy, he just doesn't get it.
    - Harry Dresden

Renn/aissance-
    I can tell you that it is entirely legal to withhold rent in my state. You can withholdthe entire rent until the heat is fixed, and then when it is, you are entitled to a rent abatement (a reduction in the amount) that corresponds with the reduction in value of the premises. You can also call the Board of Health, and they will come out and inspect, and issue an order to correct, and if the landlord does not correct the problems, then the landlord can also be fined.

I am a bit troubled by your comment that you don't think that it would be "ethical" to withhold your rent. Think about it this way. You are paying a certain price (rent) for a certain commodity (the premises) and the commodity that you are buying is supposed to be fit for the purpose that you are renting it for. This is called an implied warranty. If you don't get what you pay for (a place to live in with working heat), you are entitled to a reduction in the price to the fair market value of what you got (a place without heat.) To not offer a reduction in price when you don't deliver the thing in the condition that it is supposed to be in...that's unethical.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    Renn/aissance-
    I can tell you that it is entirely legal to withhold rent in my state. You can withholdthe entire rent until the heat is fixed, and then when it is, you are entitled to a rent abatement (a reduction in the amount) that corresponds with the reduction in value of the premises. You can also call the Board of Health, and they will come out and inspect, and issue an order to correct, and if the landlord does not correct the problems, then the landlord can also be fined.

I am a bit troubled by your comment that you don't think that it would be "ethical" to withhold your rent. Think about it this way. You are paying a certain price (rent) for a certain commodity (the premises) and the commodity that you are buying is supposed to be fit for the purpose that you are renting it for. This is called an implied warranty. If you don't get what you pay for (a place to live in with working heat), you are entitled to a reduction in the price to the fair market value of what you got (a place without heat.) To not offer a reduction in price when you don't deliver the thing in the condition that it is supposed to be in...that's unethical.
    This 100%, especially since this has been going on for so long.

It's illegal to withhold rent in my state except by escrow. I agree that it is unethical to expect to be paid full value for a property which is not as described in contract. But, like I said in the first post, the landlord hasn't gotten back to me regarding a reduction, and I think it would be unethical to withhold by escrow without doing my due diligence with attempting to come to another resolution.
    - Harry Dresden

I am an out of state property owner, and have renters in my townhome in Chicago.

If it were me, and this problem were going on in my place, that thing would have been fixed within 24 hours. If Bob the Handyguy weren't able to fix the problem, I'd have called someone else.

As a landlord, it is my responsibility to keep the residence that my tenants occupy safe and inhabitable, not the other way around. A happy tenant is more likely to pay on time and to reup their lease. And Bob the Handyguy and The Boiler Man I'm SURE weren't the only people in the area who could have fixed the problem.

TL;DR - your landlord is a dope.
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

2 members found this post helpful.

Three weeks with heat problems is inexcusable. Definitely look into tenant rights in your state. In Mass, the tenant has a lot of power. I used to work for a company that owned hundreds of apartments. Nice buildings, too, this was no slumlord. One lady who was a drunk on disability had nothing better to do with her time than find things wrong with her apartment and call the board of health. As a reward for her efforts she ended up getting a YEAR of free rent PLUS $7k for a list of minor stuff (most of which she damaged herself.)

We once gave a girl half off her rent because she was without hot water for one day. Just to get her to shut up.

Small-time landlords who aren't serious about fixing major issues (like HEAT) and want to dick around over a few dollars have no idea the world of trouble they can get in if a tenant decides to take it all the way and fully exercise their rights.

edited to add: oops, sorry, didn't mean to resurrect old thread. Forgot I was in the middle of a search and not browsing current.... :P

Since the thread was already bumped...

As it happens, we ended up moving. I was generally unsatisfied with how the situation had been handled and our contract ended at the end of December. Following that, she tried to withhold the entirety of our security deposit because she wasn't satisfied with how the house had been cleaned. That didn't go over well. We're well quits of the place. I have the feeling the ex-landlord is looking to sell and after not having seen the property in so long got a major case of the "aww, craps" when she realized exactly how much work she would need for the property to be salable- areas of the house weren't up to code, there was water damage on two floors because of the pipe issue, and the kitchen needs a major renovation- and tried to get some of the money out of us.

So now we're in a small condo (smaller than we were looking for, but) in a GREAT area and between utilities and rent it's a lot less expensive. Guess what happened last week... our upstairs neighbor's pipe broke and it started raining in the kitchen! BIG difference in landlords immediately apparent. Landlord was out within an hour, called the condo company, got it patched for the night, and had a plumber out the next day. Today, since everything is dried up, they're fixing the hole in the ceiling. No regrets about moving, for sure.
    - Harry Dresden

3 members found this post helpful.

I am glad you finally found a place where the landlord/manager is professional!

SO and I are in a very similar situation right now. I'm glad you found a suitable solution and were able to leave. I know there are downsides to owning a home, but I think I may be glad not to have a landlord someday.