The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Healthy breakfast and snack recipes?

I'm hoping to lose a little bit of weight by eating healthier. Right now I am in a bit of a breakfast and snack rut. Does anyone have any ideas for fairly quick/easy healthy recipes?

Eggs, which ever way you like them, veggies and some deli meat. Try looking up "paleo" breakfast recipes, there are tons of great, quick breakfast ideas. Also, green smoothies are a must!
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

1 members found this post helpful.

Every morning I eat a poached egg and a slice of whole grain bread and a tomato, with a 8oz glass of orange juice and cup of black coffee. Sometimes a cup of greek yoghurt as well.... Gives me plenty of energy and keeps me full till noon!! And I have a farm job, I am on my feet and burning calories all day!
    You only have to let the soft animal of your body / love what it loves
    "Wild Geese" by Mary Oliver

Thanks for the suggestions!

A healthy breakfast or snack for me includes a lot of protein. I'm looking for ideas too!

A snack idea is an apple cut up into slices and dipped into peanut or almond butter.

I make my own trail mix for snacks, I got to bulk barn and get whatever I want in my trail mix, make individual baggies, and then i just have to grab and throw them in my purse!

I put things like, almonds, pecans, walnuts, cranberries, raisins, dried apricots. Remember, healthy fats are good, but keep it in moderation, I use the mini sandwich bags, the ones that are 1/2 the size of one you'd put a sandwich in.

Eggs for breakfast, or oatmeal (not the instant ones with sugar added) with protein powder if you're on the run.

My favorite oatmeal breakfast is
    cooked oatmeal
    with
    1 grated apple
    handful of pecans
    2 tbsp flax seed
    sprinkle of cinnamon
    vanilla protein powder
    1tbsp real maple syrup

i found it maybe on women's health twitter, it tastes kind of like apple pie.
    Last edited by North Dakota; Nov. 26, 2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: forgot breakfast :)

a big slice of Ezekiel bread, toasted with peanut butter, OJ, ...out the door. Ezekiel bread is a complete protein and they use sprouted flours instead 'regular' flours, so your body can easily digest it. (its a plant now since it is sprouted).

I also like oatmeal with a squirt of honey/agava and fresh berries

Snack ideas.... apples, carrots, nuts, rice cakes and peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, unsalted/unbuttered popcorn,

I'm all about oatmeal for breakfast, with some fresh fruit if it's available. I used to do eggs every day, but they weren't filling me up, so I switched to oatmeal. Way less cravings in the morning, and now I prefer a granola bar for snack instead of feeling like I needed something 'more'.

Quote Originally Posted by North Dakota View Post
    I make my own trail mix for snacks, I got to bulk barn and get whatever I want in my trail mix, make individual baggies, and then i just have to grab and throw them in my purse!

I put things like, almonds, pecans, walnuts, cranberries, raisins, dried apricots. Remember, healthy fats are good, but keep it in moderation, I use the mini sandwich bags, the ones that are 1/2 the size of one you'd put a sandwich in.

Eggs for breakfast, or oatmeal (not the instant ones with sugar added) with protein powder if you're on the run.

My favorite oatmeal breakfast is
    cooked oatmeal
    with
    1 grated apple
    handful of pecans
    2 tbsp flax seed
    sprinkle of cinnamon
    vanilla protein powder
    1tbsp real maple syrup

i found it maybe on women's health twitter, it tastes kind of like apple pie.
    GREAT idea!!! thanks so much!
    You only have to let the soft animal of your body / love what it loves
    "Wild Geese" by Mary Oliver

[QUOTE=MunchingonHay;6687698]a big slice of Ezekiel bread, toasted with peanut butter, OJ, ...out the door. Ezekiel bread is a complete protein and they use sprouted flours instead 'regular' flours, so your body can easily digest it. (its a plant now since it is sprouted).

i always stare wistfully at the ezekial bread but it doesn't seem they have any gluten free bread. was so hoping sprouted would be ok for my symptoms.

For breakfast I generally eat 3 egg whites and 1 whole egg. Scrambled. Sometimes I may add in some fresh spinach to the eggs or chopped up red and green peppers. I then have about 1 cup or so of fresh fruit. Often strawberries (great source of vitamin C if you don't drink orange juice). Lately I've mixed it up with blueberries, clementines and oranges. I'll have a mug of hot green (unsweetened) tea with that.

Want eggs quick? Hard boil and peel them ahead of time and just keep them in the fridge. Grab and go.

For snacks I like Chobani Greek yogurt (non-fat), nuts, or a trail mix of various nuts, raisins, and maybe chocolate mixed in. Any kind of fruit. Bananas and apples are easy on the go. I often like sliced cucumbers with a little salt and pepper on top. They're crispy, can be a little salty and fill the craving of a chip like snack perhaps.

I have at least one salad a day. Just a spring mix with grape tomatoes and cucumbers mixed in. I'll use an oil based dressing.

Those laughing cow cheeses are good. I eat the little round ones in the wax casing. Come in various types.

Pop chips instead of traditional chips. They're tasty too.

Believe it or not you can make a decent BLT with 4-5 strips of center cut bacon, a good bread, lettuce, tomato and Kraft Olive Oil mayo without it being horrible for you. I cook my bacon in the microwave because I'm lazy

There are some good low sodium veggie and chicken soups out there. The creamy stuff can be fattening, so beware of those. Soups are great though! Warm and can get a good serving of veggies and some meat in there.

Those steam in the bag veggies are great too. Throw them in the microwave, dump on a plate and eat. Can mix chicken or a meat in too if you'd like.