The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default disposing of mesh wire and barbed wire fencing

I have torn down thousands of feet of mesh wire and barbed wire fencing at my new farmette to make way for new horse friendly fencing. Now I need to dispose of it. Any suggestions? I'm in a rural area, but still get "curbside" trash pickup. If it's rolled nicely can I just put it out with the trash? I fear for the barbed wire though... some unsuspecting trash guy grabbing it...

My neighbor is a contractor and will take some of the mesh wire fencing, but not all of it.
    Mesh wire is rolled (sometimes into large 4' diameter rolls), barbed wire can be neatly coiled with some effort.

Do you have a scrap yard near you? They will pay you for it. That is where all of my old fence is going once we get it all cleaned up.

www.freecycle.org for your area. We listed over 500 feet of ancient fencing. A lady took it all away for her goats.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Look to see if you have a transfer station or recycling center near you where you can just drop it off. If they will not pay you for it they will minimally take it off your hands for no charge.

I agree with your thought that putting the barbed wire at the end of the drive for the trash guys to have to handle is not really fair to them.

the scrap yards here specifically refuse to take barbed or woven wire.
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Thanks for the ideas; I will look into a scrap yard. I just moved to the area so I don't know one offhand, but I'm sure my neighbors do.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    www.freecycle.org for your area. We listed over 500 feet of ancient fencing. A lady took it all away for her goats.
    This was a great idea! Unfortunately no groups near me. But perhaps I can list on craigslist and see if anyone will come take it. While money for it would be nice, I'd be happy with someone coming to take it so I don't have to drag it somewhere in my truck.

Some people will PAY you for smallish rolls of barb wire to decorate their house with. You know, those barb wire wreath things? Not sure if you really want to spend the time parceling out what would probably be 20-30 ft of wire at a time, but it's an option!

You could also just haul it to the dump.

We had lots of old rolls of barbed wire that I put on Craigslist and the craft people came out in droves for it! I listed it for free and someone actually PAID me for it so I would hold it until the weekend for them!
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

If you are doing any future cement work on your farmette, the wire can often be laid and then pour the cement over it for reinforcing. Wire or rods in the cement, reduces the flexability, so you are less likely to get cracking or breakage. Heck, the rolls of cement wire look almost like mesh fence wire, just a bit stiffer and are NOT cheap.

We used up a LOT of old fence wire we pulled up on our place, doing the cement barn floors. That is one SOLID floor to drive on! Saved big money not buying the special cement wire for those floor sections.

You could add that as a use, if you do an advertisement to get rid of the fence. I bet if you put fence up very cheap or free on Craigslist, you will have folks coming in droves to pick it up! Our local newspaper does giveaway ads in the Classifieds for free. I got a whole patio quantity of bricks that way! Fence in good shape is worth going to get, with prices of new wire so high. Even the barb wire is good stuff for cattle farmers.

3 members found this post helpful.

I agree with others that even old fencing will go if offered for free. Some folks will take it to the recycle/metal yard to make a few bucks. Saves me the time and effort! Try Craigslist if you don't have Freecycle.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Someone stole ours! I was crushed (not). We had all this old, knocked down barbed wire fencing on the one end of our property, not within the horse areas, that I knew someday we would have to pull up and dispose of. Our neighbor over on that side put up some woven wire fencing and ran a couple of strands of barbed wire on top. I figured out that he had come and taken the barbed wire off our property (it was about 10-15' inside the lines, and he put his fence on the actual line) and reused it, in its awesome rusty glory. I was so happy that I didn't have to go try to dispose of it, but it does mean I'll need to make sure he got all of it. That area is overgrown and it wouldn't surprise me if there is still a strand down in the brush. The fence was so old, the trees had grown around it and in some places the wire went through the trees.

But that makes me think if you list it on craigslist, it will go away, whether for free or a nominal fee.

I tried all sorts of stuff to get rid of mine. Recycling yards won't take it, the dump won't take it, Freecycle got me nothing, Craigslist got me spam.

Good luck.

Our next door neighbors had his stolen out of his field as well. H rolled it up and someone just came and took it. maybe if you roll it up and make it easy, someone will just take it off your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    We had lots of old rolls of barbed wire that I put on Craigslist and the craft people came out in droves for it! I listed it for free and someone actually PAID me for it so I would hold it until the weekend for them!
    Holy. Crow. I had no idea! One of my colleagues is in some sort of crafts group... I'll ask if she knows of anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    If you are doing any future cement work on your farmette, the wire can often be laid and then pour the cement over it for reinforcing.
    I have thought about keeping some, and I probably will. Eventually we want smaller animals (goats) and it may come in handy for a pen or something. But I definitely don't need it all!

Quote Originally Posted by andylover View Post
    Our next door neighbors had his stolen out of his field as well. H rolled it up and someone just came and took it. maybe if you roll it up and make it easy, someone will just take it off your hands.
    LOL, I will keep that in mind as a last resort! I have to admit, I have stopped numerous times for wood pallets in people's trash pile.

You might roll it up and put it very near the road with a sign on it reading "Wire fencing, $15" - then it will disappear quickly.
    Home page: www.jessicajahiel.com
    Horse-Sense newsletter: www.horse-sense.org

1 members found this post helpful.

You know, I do remember now that I think of it, our metal yard would only take the barbed wire if we cut the barbs off. Um...right.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

We've been replacing the old mesh and barb wire fencing on our farm, small areas at a time. I tightly folded up the mesh with barbwire in the middle into small bundles, and I would put a bundle or two in the trash bin each week with the rest of our normal trash until it was gone.

When we first moved here there was a lot of scrap metal in the barn, and we put an ad on craigslist and some guy came and hauled it all away, including a bunch of rolled up old mesh fence.

I had four and a half miles of barb-less wire on my place when I bought it....all three strands run *through* holes drilled through the wood posts. I was so depressed, thinking it would take all summer to take it down...and then I decided to put it on Craigslist "free, if you come take it down". I had two dairy farmers fighting over it, and two weeks later there wasn't a stitch of it left on the place.

4 members found this post helpful.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/451918/B...hroom-new-york

There's money in them there rolls of barbed wire!
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

Default Woven Wire Scrap

I dont know why any scrap yard would be refusing this wire cloth and woven wire material - I ran into a similar situation once, called the manufacturer - http://www.bwire.com/index.html and they alerted me the fact this material can be scrapped or cash - they apparently have scrap yards falling all over themselves trying to buy their scrap metal.