The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cardio exercise when your legs don't work

Ideas for exercise, preferably at home as there are no
    gyms nearby, that will help with cardiovascular conditioning without stressing legs. And there are
    also no nearby swimming pools so aquatic exercise
    is out. I have problems with my hips, knees and also with plantar faciitis in one foot so walking and running are not very comfortable. I do need cardiac conditioning, but am at a loss for what exercises would work. Ideas?
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Those little portable arm bicycles?
    Or a rope thru a bed post and pull with one and the other arm, from the front and side and behind you?

Many strength exercises, if done as repetitive ones, without much tension, become cardiac enhancing.

Have you tried a rowing machine? I have bad knees and hips and when they bother me, I just keep my legs straight and work my upper body. One with a sliding/rolling seat that can be locked in place would make it even easier.

You don't need anything fancy, mine is an old one with zero instrumentation. I use a basic around-the-chest heart rate monitor (Sears) and a $2 wind-up kitchen timer (WalMart).
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Anything that gets your hands above your head will get your heart rate up. Grab some weights and look for some diagrams or photos of all kinds of arm exercises.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Robin, you sound like me! Bursitis in hips, arthritis in hips and one knee and plantar in one foot too! Do you also look like a drunk, demented T-Rex when you first stand up and try to walk?

My Rheum also came up with the stellar suggestion of trying running for cardio. I asked him how he wanted me to accomplish that after telling me to stop causing so much wear and tear to my joints. He got this face:

I've found using a stationary bike works best so far. At first I'd be on it 45 minutes and pedalling probably less than 1/2 of that. Had to keep stopping and restarting. But over a relatively short time the pedalling got longer and the discomfort less. Only issue with the bike for me is I'm not used to that pointy little seat slowly being eaten by my arse. And I've bought 2 different wider, thicker gel seats for the bike. I'm thinking of sticking one of my CC saddles on it next.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I love the PreCor Transport ellipticals. And I was allowed to use those post op for knee surgery. As well as recumbent bikes. (they did not allow me to use upright bikes)
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I broke my leg. My cardio is dragging the canister vac around behind the wheelchair, LOL! And all the up down, up down to do dishes and laundry.
    Can't wait to be outside again.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I do appreciate the ideas.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Stationary bike or elliptical. The stationary bike is likely an easier place to start. It will really strengthen your legs without stress or impact. It's very good for strengthening the knees, quads, etc.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Have you tried physical therapy?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

try and do a search for exercise videos on youtube. when i broke my wrist, my orthopedist sent me out with basically *no* instructions after my cast came off. i rummaged around on the web and found a fantastic video that someone made of wrist exercises. it was more helpful even than what the PT ended up giving me. i still do some of the exercises from the video. if you look for something like "seated cardio" or "upper body cardio" you may find some good stuff. also, if you sit on a stool and do the usual arm circles, etc, that you would normally do in your mounted warmup, that should help.

good luck!!