The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pony Dressage?

Are there any award programs or classes specifically for ponies in dressage in CA/US ? eta: i don't mean FEI pony -i mean for adults on ponies....

If so, does the pony need to be 148cm or less? or just a pony breed?

Any info would be appreciated!

Last edited by mbm; Nov. 26, 2012 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    Are there any award programs or classes specifically for ponies in dressage in CA/US ?

If so, does the pony need to be 148cm or less? (I have a 14.3 - 15h Connemara)

Any info would be appreciated!

Yes and yes. Just like the hunter ponies, your pony will need to be measured at a recognized show by a steward with a regulation stick.

Here is the USEF Pony Book
    http://www.usef.org/documents/intern...oklet-Info.pdf

Differing from most USEF disciplines, dressage utilizes the
    FEI definition of height, which uses the metric system (not
    hands). A pony is classified as being not over 148 centimeters
    (without shoes), or 149 centimeters (with shoes). Since the
    conversion between centimeters and hands isn’t exact, dressage
    ponies MUST be measured in centimeters and their
    corresponding measurement certificate is only applicable for
    dressage or driving. For instance, a pony measuring exactly
    148 cm (legal as a pony for dressage) converts to 14 hands
    2¼ inches, thereby being over the legal height for the pony
    hunter division! (However, pony measurement cards for other
    USEF divisions [pony hunters, etc.] may be used for eligibility
    for pony tests/classes/divisions in Dressage or Dressage Sport
    Horse Breeding – see #9 below.)

7. Does every pony have to be measured?

A copy of the Federation
    Standard or Temporary Measurement Certificate must be
    submitted with the entry for each pony possessing a
    Measurement Certificate and competing in Dressage or
    Dressage Sport Horse Breeding classes and /or tests limited to
    ponies. Competition Management must require measurement
    by a USEF-certified Dressage Technical Delegate and the
    Competition Veterinarian if a current, valid Measurement
    Certificate is not submitted prior to the competition for every
    pony age three (3) and over. Failure to allow the pony to be
    measured will result in the pony being disqualified at that
    competition. The measurement must be reported to
    Competition Management, which must then disqualify the pony
    from the competition if it is over height.

nevermind, i see it covers adults too....

thanks for the info... too bad it doesn't allow pony breeds above 148cm

but that is just FEI pony stuff... and that is open only to kids.... so i guess i should of asked - are there any pony awards for ponies and adults?
    Did you not read it?

4. Who can ride ponies? With several exceptions (as noted below),
    anyone may ride ponies in USEF-Licensed Dressage
    Competitions, in national tests/classes and/or those restricted
    to ponies. For instance, an Adult Amateur rider may ride a
    pony in a Prix St. Georges – Adult Amateur class. Or a
    professional rider may compete with a pony in First Level Test 3
    – Open and First Level Test 1 – Ponies. However, there are
    several instances where ponies are NOT allowed:

• FEI Recognized Competitions (CDIs) (except CDI-P’s as explained below);
    • USEF High Performance Championships, qualifying and selection trials,
    and observation classes;
    • Any other classes designated as qualifying or selection classes for
    international or international high performance competition (except
    championships for FEI Pony Riders)
    • Championships where such participation is prohibited in the championship
    selection procedures (e.g. FEI World Breeding Championships, NAJYRC, etc.).

There is also CDS awards, but the same USEF measurement applies

http://california-dressage.org/html/awards.htm

CDS Pony Award
    The CDS Pony Award is a ribbon that goes to the high scoring pony at each CDS recognized show. The shows identify the high scoring pony in their results and the CDS Central Office will send out the awards to the pony and pony rider. All pony riders must inform show management that they would like to be eligible for the pony award and to be designated on the results cover sheet if they are the high score pony. To be eligible, all ponies must have a current USEF Dressage Pony Measurement Card. CDS will also offer a Year End Award for the overall highest scoring pony Training and above. Download measurement stick rental agreement form here.

poo! i think i am going to agitate for a "hony" award.....

poo! i think i am going to agitate for a "hony" award.....
    Well you never know until you measure him. I was sure Flora was over 14.2 last time I measured her, but she was not. If he's borderline it's worth measuring him at a show.

oh, he was almost 14.2 at 2 he is close to 15h now..... unless of course i don't know how to measure - which in fact could be...... but i don't think he is 14.2....

i guess that means we will have to work *harder* since we have to complete with the big boys! lol!

CDS has a high score Pony award but you do have to measure every year till you are 8! Its a perfect pain in the butt to get an official measurement done--as it requires A VET on the show grounds as well as the official measurer and I think the Secretary or Steward--I forget. If the vet is not on the show grounds you have to pay for a visit---ugh. Occasionally you may get lucky and have a competitor on the grouds who is a vet and you can ask very nicely if they would sign off on your card--most are agreeable. Not at all what is was like initially--it was a LOT easier. Not saying it cant be done--it can but then you have to do it every year for your scores to count untill you get to be the cutoff age and the card is issued permanently.

The one that you CAN participate in as there is no real height limit is USDF all breeds awards. It requires that you are an Participating Member, and your horse must be recorded with the USDF and your documents on file with the ACPS-USEF All Breeds Award people. There are other requirements with respect to number of shows and judges in order to qualify.

Both programs have grown TREMENDOUSLY in the last five years! The only real complaint I have is that the ACPS only awards one prize in the Amateur Division and FIVE in the OPEN division. Which rubs me the wrong way as I feel it is the amateurs that do the MOST to promote the breed and have a vested interest. There is also the USEF/ACPS national awards program which is specifically Connemaras and Partbreds---its neat because all your scores are automatically reported (like All Breeds).

There is also the ACPS Achievement Awards Medal Program which you report you scrores directly to the ACPS---and then earn certificate, bronze, silver or gold Medals based on the number of points earned.

The other thing that I really enjoy is the RAAC (regional adult amateur championship) which is a Championship Show--great fun, great people really well organized! The regular championship show will be up north this year--probably Rancho Murietta. Thats another to shoot for.

I wish the ACPS would allow showing under a different/shortened name as opposed to the registered name .... altho i do think i saw a couple ponies who showed under different names get ACPS awards....

thanks GP for the info... Rebel is too big for "real" pony stuff but i will look into the other stuff you listed.....

You never know--they have a very specific neck position they use its a-lowered position--and they are quite meticulous when they do the measuring. I also believe they allow 1/2" inch to be deducted for shoes. It might be a little less than that. I could have this wrong--maybe the rules have changed but 'specifically dressage ponies' I thought needed to measure under 148 cm which is NOT 14.2 but more like 14.2 1/2" so minus a half inch for shoes? Rebel might just measure and might be worth trying when he is 8 if you think he is close.

I personally can measure the same pony 3times and get 3 different measurements. And I have a good stick! I have never found that being short had anything to do with being competitive---no judges has ever dinged me for riding short and round. I wont say there not are some judges out there that kinda dont get ponies in general--but they are becoming rarer. The best thing you can do is chose your judge wisely--go for an S judge and you will be scored fairly an in most cases accurately---at least that has been my experience.

Rebel is too big for "real" pony stuff but i will look into the other stuff you listed.....

Yup, I've been living with that bummer for years now. For me, it's just he All-Breeds Awards that I have. Of course those I have under 14.3 will measure but we have no such classes in AZ. Still my two purebreds I'm doing most of my showing with are both 15 hands - and still all pony between the ears. Competing with and against the big guys are a reality (even for my 13 hand guy which is the reason I'm told I won't ever be taken seriously - doesn't eliminate you from the possibility of USDF medals either - we've racked up a few Dover medals, bronze and silver all with pony or hony card carrying members). Good luck.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Even if you pony was pony sized you still have to compete against the "big guys". It's only high point and year end awards that are for ponies, but every class is against horses.

Ponies (and all sorts of smaller "off" breeds) are cleaning up here in CA.

Quote Originally Posted by goodpony View Post
    . I also believe they allow 1/2" inch to be deducted for shoes. It might be a little less than that. I could have this wrong--maybe the rules have changed but 'specifically dressage ponies' I thought needed to measure under 148 cm which is NOT 14.2 but more like 14.2 1/2" so minus a half inch for shoes?

-no judges has ever dinged me for riding short and round. I wont say there not are some judges out there that kinda dont get ponies in general--but they are becoming rarer. The best thing you can do is chose your judge wisely--go for an S judge and you will be scored fairly an in most cases accurately---at least that has been my experience.
    The part about height is INcorrect, see Perfect Pony's post for accurate info. I do agree with the second part though. Competed the whole season in front of various judges and NO ONE had anything bad to say about the pony, even with a rider who really is too tall for him (5'9"). Even an "O" judge quite liked the pairing.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    Even if you pony was pony sized you still have to compete against the "big guys". It's only high point and year end awards that are for ponies, but every class is against horses.

That's right...on both comments.

oh and fwiw, when i say "compete" i mean for things like awards etc. I dont usually care where i place in a class - more about what my score is

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post

on reading the pony booklet it does state that there are allowed Pony tests - so i guess if there were enough ponies there could be tests just for them..... right?

anyway, i don't think Rebs will measure pony - which i guess is a blessing if i ever wanted to show CDIs !

I wonder if the popularity of Ponies/Honies will help change the show structure to allow for more pony classes and also perhaps have Hony divisions.

Did you guys know that Seldom Seen was not allowed to compete in the Olympics because of his size?

thanks guys for the info and inspiration.... i will re-measure him this week with a stick and see what i find,

i will also read up on all the available awards schemes that he might be eligible for and then save my duckets to get him and me all the dang numbers we might need!

They really don't need their own classes, they REALLY don't. Maybe for kids to become more interested, but even then, you have the junior division which is enough. The classes in general are just not that big.

anyway, i don't think Rebs will measure pony
    I think you really need to post photos so that we can all assist with this assessment

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    They really don't need their own classes, they REALLY don't. Maybe for kids to become more interested, but even then, you have the junior division which is enough. The classes in general are just not that big.
    I saw this past season where an Dressage Pony Divison was offered (not in CA--pony criteria)--there was one Open Rider who won and 4/5 Juniors-there was no split O/AA/Jr--just pony, and basically what amounted to unfair advantage--Open vs Junior. From looking at the scores the kids were at a huge disadvantage.

Its also kind of the same with the CDS high score award--or at least it WAS. There was no O/AA/Jr split---you are essentially competing against kids. Not that there are no adults competing on ponies--there are plenty. But you are lumped in with the kids. Not my thing.

I would much rather take my chances with the big boys/girls.