The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default It's Official!!! We're moving: Advice, horse motel recommendations needed

We are officially moving WA to KY on or around Jan 3, and I'm super excited! Four horses, one of them is a 22 year old QH, plus me, a dog, a cat, and my parents are flying out to help with the driving as they love road trips.

I've found horse motels on the horse motel international website, and we plan on going to Stockton, CA, then Gallup, NM, then Claremore, OK, then home. That makes our longest driving time 14 hours, and we plan on stopping for about a half hour every three to four hours and letting them stand still and eat and water. I have long-distance driving experience, and my DH has a lot of long-distance horse hauling experience. My parents can drive a loooooong time with no issues.

We have a four horse gooseneck and will be putting feed, hay and water in the UHaul so they don't change hay. I have them on Haystack feed, which is a beetpulp, alfalfa, timothy, rice bran, and flax seed mix and am starting them on Platinum Performance this week for the joint support and the Biosponge. I've already been flavoring the water with small amounts of Gatorade powder, which is my usual travel routine anyway. All paperwork is up to date, and the health certificates will be done a couple days prior to us leaving. Brand inspections are done, and shots were done earlier in the year already, so no extra immune system stress. I've thought about starting APF supplement for additional immune support. The vet is going to run a baseline CBC on my 22 year old this week as well. I'm also not tying short to help prevent shipping fever, and have the trailer ties worked out. All the horses load well, and we've done a trial run of going to a new place in the dark, and it went really well for everyone.

Once they get home, they have everything set up already. We'll plan human lodging after we get our horse route set. I'd like to have additional horse motel options along our route so we can stop if we're tired, but I'm not finding much along I-40. I think I've got more taken care of than I'm thinking of, but this is what I've got written out at this point.

Any advice, shipping advice, lodging advice, places to stop with horses overnight advice is appreciated.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

We are in Lexington with two "backyard horse" farms. If you need anything short term, parking trailers, stalls etc just shout. welcome back to the horse capitol of the world.

Just outside of Amarillo is a horse motel called Happy Tracks or Happy Trails....
    at an I-40 exit with a Loves on the other side. They also have a bunk house or two with very clean but eclecticly furnished rooms. Some of the stalls have attached outdoor runs. Stayed there back in 2002 when we moved two of our horses ourselves (2 horse trailer), third one came commercial shipper.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

1 members found this post helpful.

since you have the time now you should plan a contingency route farther south as I-40 in early January can get snowed in

Clanter, good point. My trip to Denver went north to Kansas and then west to Denver to avoid snow/ice storms along our "southern" route. We came back down I-25, thru NM and
    panhandle/Amarillo area and walking was pretty treacherous. Didn't let the horses out into
    the little turnout areas off their stalls at Happy Tracks/Trails. Had to back the trailer up as close to the barndoor as possible to load them.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Congrats on the move, it sounds like you have planned your trip out quite well.

You didn't mention US Rider, but make sure you have it!

Also, keep in mind Stockton has the 2nd highest crime rate in California. I'm sure you'll be safe where your horses are, but just make sure you pick a good hotel and make sure everything is tucked away and locked. I'm not trying to scare you, just want to make you aware.
    Last edited by jenm; Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: added info
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

I remember that Amarillo had a bad ice and snow storm a few years ago between Christmas and New Year's Day that closed Interstate 40 for several days! I suggest that you have a contingency plan just in case.

Just adding that the only livestock inspection station I recall was in AZ. Plenty of weigh stations everywhere, this one was specifically for livestock and it was about halfway to Flagstaff from Needles on I 40.

Good luck on your trip.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Does anyone else have horse motel ideas? I'm really limited on routes because of the horse motel issue. I know some state fairgrounds have drop in stabling, but I'd rather go to somewhere with turnout, no matter how limited. All I found was Horse Motels International as far as websites, and AAA doesn't have horse advice I don't want to push the move off any further as January is the earliest we can leave, and I am actually 4.5 months in foal myself I don't want to drive that far any more preggers, and I do NOT want to do it with a newborn. The 22 year old is going to be the kid's pony, so he needs to make it in good shape. I promised her a pony before I conceived her Any advice for older horses?
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

2 members found this post helpful.

Congrats on the move and the baby on the way.

Maybe you already do this but I didn't see it mentioned- purchase from your current vet enough banamine and bute to treat your horses along the trip. If you have any concerns you could give him a ring and the two of you decide on the dosage or whether you must find a vet in the area for treatment. I'd carry along some electrolyte paste, enough for each horse to have a couple daily doses.

I've driven 40 from CA to NM and it is a nice interstate with minimal mountains to deal with so that part should be fairly easy for you. The weather will be what it will be so as someone said have a back up plan. You might try visiting a rodeo or barrel racing website. Those folks travel long distances a lot and might be a resource for overnight stabling along your route.

Candle - You might look here and see if there are B&B's on your route.

StG

Quote Originally Posted by Candle View Post
    Does anyone else have horse motel ideas? I'm really limited on routes because of the horse motel issue. I know some state fairgrounds have drop in stabling, but I'd rather go to somewhere with turnout, no matter how limited. All I found was Horse Motels International as far as websites, and AAA doesn't have horse advice
    Try this site:

http://www.horsetrip.com/listings/li...tby=city&state[]=California

I did a search just in CA and found a lot of options, including a place in Elk Grove which I would recommend over Stockton.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Livestock inspections in Arizona have been closed for about 2 years.

Congrats on Baby and Move! We'll be moving to KY in Feb. What area are you moving too?

I second horsetrip.com... I have a friend who has moved her horse cross country several times and has used that website with great success!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Superminion, we're moving to Lexington. Actually, we're moving in with my parents I'm SO tired of commuting, I've been used to 2 hour commutes each way and then more to go see the horses, so I'm going to be able to see my family AND my horses every single day without driving so long I'm exhausted. They also have a long list lined up of friends and family who want to hold and play with the baby. I see a little bit of sleep in my future. Am totally okay with that. You're going to Louisville, right?

Another source for horse hotels is through www.traveinghorse.com I used this site when I hauled from FL to OK last year.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Off Topic moment: I just found out I'm having a boy. I was really really convinced I was having a girl. I am in shock. See upcoming thread for ideas for boy pony-themed nursery

What's the longest day you'd travel with the horses? Would adding a few extra days but making each day overall shorter be better than fewer, longer days? I was thinking that fewer overall days would be better because it's fewer places they have to settle into, and therefore less stress. Ideas?

If you're coming through Fort Collins, CO, I can hook you up with a safe place to overnight the ponies!

Bring a couple of cans of pure pumpkin in case dog has diarrhea.

Candle- We'll in in Louisville. Fort Knox, really. About an hour and a half from you... Poo! I'd be all over babysitting!

As for the boy themed pony nursey...Rodeo!
    Last edited by Superminion; Nov. 29, 2012 at 07:40 AM. Reason: I coffee have not yet had.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.