The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

PF--I have a laptop that I need the hard drive pulled out of. You're welcome to it.

My vote is to go by with goodies and to tell the receptionist that while you didn't get his name, mystery man was especially helpful and you wanted to bring by a thank you for the crew because that kind of customer service is rare. Hopefully then you can segue into getting her to dish.

Oh, and instead of a business card, what if you had one of the picture holiday cards made up. Something like this: http://www.vistaprint.com/christmas-...43182221&GNF=0 You can use the extras for anyone, but then he'll have an actual picture of you. Maybe put you name and email in the signature spot.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Alright, gang. I just had lunch with my bestie, and she suggested calling there and talking to the receptionist "girl to girl" to see if she would give out any info (single, married, serious girlfriend, etc) and then once that has been established to go over there for some reason (bring a goodie, or she actually needs to get a new external hard drive and would go there with me, etc.)

Now just to screw up the courage. What's funny is that I am a total extrovert, but I'm just not very bold....
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Maybe I am just very untrusting, but I don't know that I'd rely on the receptionist. What if, like another poster said, she likes him too? Or what if for some reason she feels that you're not his type?

I vote for going back with another tech problem and scouting him out. Tell the staff that the guy who worked on your laptop was very knowledgeable and that you'd like his opinion on problem X. I don't think that's stalkerish or anything. It would be like asking for a specific realtor you've dealt with before, or a server in a restaurant, etc.

When he comes out, work your magic! And make sure to leave him your business card

Best of luck however you go about it I am recently single after a 4 year relationship and feel like I'm starting all over again.

Moody-do you trust any of your mutual friends to put out some feelers for you?

Pony-get his name and look him up on facebook. If he's single send him a message. It would be easy to get his full name.

I know his full name--he's not on Facebook. Yes, I am a 40something cyber stalker... How ridiculous/sad is that?

2 members found this post helpful.

So here's my update. I gathered up my stones and called the receptionist. She was FLOORED (and thought I was very "gutsy" she said, impressed). Noted that he was "unattached". So on my next day off, I brought a huge plate of yummy, homemade cookies with a holiday card for the staff, and my business card with my personal email and cell written in for the guy. I dropped them with the receptionist, who was genuinely sad that the guy was actually not in that day (but was better for me, I was scared enough as it was!). She promised to make sure he got the card, and "first crack" at the cookies.

And then...

...crickets. Nothing. So, I guess that's my answer
    What sucks is how I was so excited about the prospect for the next few days, checking my phone, etc. like a school girl. It made me a bit angry with myself, actually, and I didn't like feeling that way. Somehow I feel like I'm "better" than that. Oh well, at least I went for it and don't have to regret any "what ifs".

Good for you for going for it!!!!! Kudos.
    His loss.
    Any other cuties on the horizon?

with Alfonso Spagoni, the toreador. NOT in a ticky tacky box!

Sorry it didn't work out. Good for you tho, having the cajones to try!

CFF

1 members found this post helpful.

I just want to add, don't throw in the towel yet. It is the holiday season and some guys get really funny about dating and starting something new during this time. He may come around and call after the first of the year.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

1 members found this post helpful.

I would thing it would take a lot of guts for a guy to cold call a gal he didn't know and may not remember too clearly. I'm sure a "player" would, but you don't want those kind of guys anyway. I'm sure he was flattered, a little embarrassed etc. Let it simmer. You never know. Someday he may need a date for something and think "what the heck, I have this number..."

And kudos to you for having the guts to go back. Now next time you see a cute guy you like, you may act quicker and more decisively.
    People are crazy and times are strange.
    I used to care but, things have changed.

Thanks guys. There is no one on the horizon...the whole internet dating thing takes way too much time, I don't do the "bar" thing, etc.

I'm not sure I can "jump" any faster, either.

But I'm not sorry I did it. I'd rather try and fail than regret never trying. But, SA, while I get what you are saying, I did all the heavy lifting. He had 2 email addresses he could have used if he was afraid to call. A quick google of my name pops up many photos. I'm going with not interested vs. afraid, which is fine.

C'est la vie!

Props to you, OP, for taking a shot. Best of luck in the future!

I thought of this thread after the last off topic day, because my computer was in the shop, and I thought maybe I should take a closer look at the repair guy when I went to pick up my computer. Not so much.

I think you have to give it a bit more time before doing anything. Some guys won't act right away even if they are interested simply because they don't want people to think they are desperate.

A friend of mine was introduced to his now wife by a mutual friend who suggested they meet. They were given each other's phone numbers but my friend (the guy) didn't call the girl for 3 weeks. Just the very act of being given someone's number made him feel a lot of pressure. He eventually did call the girl and ask her out and had a great time and never looked back after that.

I am going to go ahead and update as well. So I discovered that I do have a mutual friend who was willing to put out a feeler. And she "sees him nearly every day." Except, of course, when she wants to see him, as it's been a week and he's not come into her workplace! She did confirm that he is terminally shy, though, and probably wouldn't be able to get up the nerve to ask me out. They went to high school together and she said he's always been shy but very sweet - so who knows? In any case, better to know than not to. I'm doing promo for the band that he's in with a friend of mine while said friend's wife is away, so I will see him tonight anyway and can talk to him. He's at least nice to have as a casual friend.

In the meantime, I've been on a couple of ok dates. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT, go see Life of Pi with someone as a first date when you don't know their views on #1 animals, and #2 religion. That's all I'm gonna say...

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Fixer View Post
    Thanks guys. There is no one on the horizon...the whole internet dating thing takes way too much time, I don't do the "bar" thing, etc.
    Please, as my PSA for the day, even if you do go the internet dating way at some point, be insanily, painfully careful. A co-worker's sister went out on a what we believe was her first date with someone she met on the 'net. The police found her body two weeks later. We all think we are smarter than that, but as we saw yesterday there is real, true evil and danger in the world.

I am so proud of you, Pony Fixer! I'm kind of in your place right now (for the first time in many years) and am re-entering the dating scene. I was going to try the "go out with anyone who asks", but that resulted in an immediate stalker, so I cut that off real quick, using the direct method (which I never used to do). I'll take a page from your book and try to be more courageous!

Ah, thank you all so much. Now that I'm a "certain age", both opportunities and men are harder to come by, so I guess a change in tactics is in order. Fortunately (or unfortunately), I have a pretty full, busy life, with great friends, so I'm not super motivated to go out of my way to "make" opportunites happen. I don't believe in fate, but for me to meet a man, he's practically going to have to fall in my lap. Which is exactly what I said to my BFF--and that's what started this whole thing since this guy basically did. Hopefully the next one is cute AND interested.

I hope you all have a great holiday season. I've been flu stricken since Thursday and finally fever free so I feel like a human being again--yippee!!!