The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can you believe this - I think I'm getting old !

The Rolling Stones celebrated 50 years in the industry tonight by performing to a packed London crowd for the first time since 2007.

The band, all in their 60s and 70s, took to the stage in front of 20,000 screaming fans at the O2 Arena.
    Lead singer Sir Mick Jagger, 69, was joined by guitarists Keith Richards, 68, Ronnie Wood, 65, and drummer Charlie Watts, 71.
    It is the first time the band have been joined with former members Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor for more than 20 years.
    They opened with I Want to be Your Man, with front man Jagger strutting around dressed in a silver blazer and trilby, before launching into Get Off of My Cloud.
    "How're you doing in the cheap seats? They're not that cheap though, that's the problem," quipped Jagger.
    Tickets for tonight's show, which comes ahead of a gig at the same venue on Thursday before three in the US next month, started at £106.
    Fans sitting in the 'tongue' - the area at the foot of the lip-shaped stage - forked out an eye-watering £1,140 per person.
    US soul diva Mary J Blige joined Jagger to sing the female lines of hit Gimme Shelter.
    Legendary rock guitarist Jeff Beck joined the four-piece to play I'm Going Down.
    Tickets for both UK dates sold out within seven minutes last month
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

2 members found this post helpful.

Think that's bad? All the Ramones are dead now except Tommy.

As to the Stones... I'm a bit tired of their endless 30-year victory lap in honor of the 7 years they were actually relevant. As long as Andrew Oldham stays alive, I care not what happens to the rest of 'em!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

god bless 'em.

1 members found this post helpful.

It's all good - you're not the only one!!

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    The Rolling Stones celebrated 50 years in the industry tonight by performing to a packed London crowd for the first time since 2007.

The band, all in their 60s and 70s, took to the stage in front of 20,000 screaming fans at the O2 Arena.
    Lead singer Sir Mick Jagger, 69, was joined by guitarists Keith Richards, 68, Ronnie Wood, 65, and drummer Charlie Watts, 71.
    It is the first time the band have been joined with former members Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor for more than 20 years.
    They opened with I Want to be Your Man, with front man Jagger strutting around dressed in a silver blazer and trilby, before launching into Get Off of My Cloud.
    "How're you doing in the cheap seats? They're not that cheap though, that's the problem," quipped Jagger.
    Tickets for tonight's show, which comes ahead of a gig at the same venue on Thursday before three in the US next month, started at £106.
    Fans sitting in the 'tongue' - the area at the foot of the lip-shaped stage - forked out an eye-watering £1,140 per person.
    US soul diva Mary J Blige joined Jagger to sing the female lines of hit Gimme Shelter.
    Legendary rock guitarist Jeff Beck joined the four-piece to play I'm Going Down.
    Tickets for both UK dates sold out within seven minutes last month

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

LOL!
    A friend once said of the (aged) Stones:
    "Now when they sing Can't Get No Satisfaction, it sounds like my father..."

Last concert in Chicago they took the stage on a cold windy night in trenchcoats, looking every bit the Arte Johnson LaughIn OldGuy character.

I just know that somewhere...in an attic...there's a portrait of Mick Jagger that is very Dorian Gray-ish....
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I got to see them perform in Charlottesville during their 2006 US tour. It was so cool!! You guys should definitely try to get tickets if you can....the show was on a Thursday, and the next day half my school was "late for a drs appointment" haha.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Ahhh .... memories. I first saw the Stones back in the late 60's. BB King was warm-up! That was a night to remember.

Just really kind of cool that the music has endured from that era. It's become classic. It takes me back ....
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

2 members found this post helpful.

I remember a long ago Jagger interview where he stated 'I don't want to be singing Satisfaction when I am in my 40s. I plan on doing other things' and here he is, at almost 70, still singing Satisfaction.

That is one concert I would have loved to see simply because Bill Wyman was my favourite and I have followed his solo career; he stayed true to the blues and put out a few good albums. By the time I could afford Stones concerts, the band was in its current configuration, which is still great listening regardless of the bassist.

I was one of the very few in my age group (to be precise, there were three of us) who preferred the Stones to the Beatles and we were vocal about not likeig the Beatles. The three of us could probably put together a Stones and blues collection that would be shamefully large!!!
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

With their lifestyle, I didn't think they'd live this long. Glad they did, and that they're still around though. They are always fun to listen to.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm a Charlie Watts fan.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    I'm a Charlie Watts fan.

Have to admit, he certainly has style and class. He actually looks better now than he did when he was younger
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Bill Wyman was my favorite as well. I have one album by BW, called Monkey grip glue.It is sensational. He used all the top side men at the time. White lightnin' could have been recorded in Nashville. Since my turntable is unusable, I have to pore over the listings online. Wonder if that album is availablee on Pandora?
    Another killer of threads

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by pony grandma View Post
    Ahhh .... memories. I first saw the Stones back in the late 60's. BB King was warm-up! That was a night to remember.

Just really kind of cool that the music has endured from that era. It's become classic. It takes me back ....
    We must be "of an age"
    I first saw them live at the old Chicago Stadium where the stockyards were.
    I believe BB King was the opener then too.

Back then I also used to go to recording sessions at Chess Records as I was friendly with the staff of The Jazz Record Mart (before Bob Koester had his own studio).
    I always hoped I'd be there when the Stones were in town, as they liked to drop by Chess.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009