The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    If you can get your hands on it....Eis Wein is the sweetest. Oh it is SO good!

It is originally made only in German, on the Rhein river, but as it's popularity spread, so has it's locations of origin. There is some made in Canada that is less expensive than Eiswein from Germany.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_wine

We have found some good, not bank breaking ice wine out of Germany as well, but due to the process necessary to create wine, as well as the yield, it tends to be expensive.
    The eis wine is really sweet but good.

A wine I LOVE that isn't quite as sweet, (more like Moscato) is a Reisling called "RELAX". OMG it's good. No sharp taste like some reislings can have, and soooo smooth. It's in a dark blue bottle with the word "Relax" going down the bottle.

1 members found this post helpful.

Coyote Moon Winery in Clayton NY has several. Fire Boat Red is my favourite. At their Bluegrass Festival they mix it with Concord grape juice and make slushies.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

Doobie Blues, its a NY wine!

Ice Wine is my absolute favorite!! It is pricey, but sooo worth it.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

I like a sweeter wine too.....Rieslings and Pinot's are generally my favs, but Sokol Blossers "Evolution" is delish. It's a blended wine from Oregon and it's heavenly!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I had a Moscato over Thanksgiving called "Be Flirty" and it was VERY sweet and very delicious!

Willamette Valley Vineyards has an Oregon Blossom that I recall being rather sweet. It was one of the only wines I'd drink when I first started - I think many people start out only liking the sweet wines, but eventually progress to the non-sweet stuff.

I love a good red. The mere thought of sweet wine gives me a headache now!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Thanks everyone! Can't wait to try some of these.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    You should also look into Sauternes. It's a very sweet grape varietal from Bordeux—they can be pricey, but they often sell in half-bottles. They're so sweet that that's really all you need.
    oh snap! Sauternes are some of my favourites! I think I'm pushing like 140 bottles I find vintage and house are very important or they can become cloying. I love the 2001's (one of the best vintages) where most producers did great. Just had a 88 d"Yquem recently which was just lovely.

I also love German TBA's and ice wines. Pretty amazing stuff. I imported some auction bottles that blew my socks off.

Also love Kracher TBA's from Austria. Great value for amazing juice. Terrible that Alois passed away.

What are some of your specific favourite sweeties from Sauternes?

P.S.And I and very strict that dessert is not paired with these wines, they stand alone or go great with savory foods!!

[QUOTE=Ajierene;6686519]If you can get your hands on it....Eis Wein is the sweetest. Oh it is SO good!

It is originally made only in German, on the Rhein river, but as it's popularity spread, so has it's locations of origin. There is some made in Canada that is less expensive than Eiswein from Germany. [Quote]

Check out German TBA's. They are nomsy as well! I was blown away by this producer. Also their regular Rieslings are great too. Not cheap but for sure worth it.

2002 Reinhard & Beate Knebel Winninger Röttgen Riesling Trockenbeerenauslese

Don't totally discount a red, either. I used to drink strictly white & very sweet until a friend made me try her home-made blackberry merlot. It was GREAT! (Wine snobs probably would have hated it!)
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    Don't totally discount a red, either. I used to drink strictly white & very sweet until a friend made me try her home-made blackberry merlot. It was GREAT! (Wine snobs probably would have hated it!)
    Actually there are wineries on Vancouver Island that make great blackberry port style wines.

I bought one from Saltspring Island this summer, actually!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I have recently discovered a wine I like - Moscato - and my favorite is Elmo Pio Moscato. It's very smooth and reasonably priced!

I also like Seven Daughters Moscato. Will have to try some of the others listed here!

I don't know if anyone else has already mentioned it, but the Barefoot Red Moscato is sweet.

I started drinking wine with Moscato...now, Chardonnay is too sweet...I prefer Pinot Noirs and Shiraz and Cabernets. Who woulda thunk it?!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

This is the best sweet wine on earth. It comes from a Virginia winery and is sweet and very effective @ 18%

http://www.klugeestate.com/scripts/winepg.cfm/_/1/

It is more expensive and you have to buy it online unless you live in VA. I will be getting some for the new year. It is worth it to try it
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

The only sweet wine I really enjoy is Ruby Port. Especially with perfectly-ripe pears & some good blue cheese - particularly a nice Stilton or Gorgonzola.

I am currently enjoying a glass of Linganore's Mountain White. Very tasty. Here is a listing of all their sweet whites - all the those I have tasted are very good: http://www.linganorewines.com/wines/sweet-white/

Port, Madeira, and Mead.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

German Mosel wines are quite nice. Look for wines with Mosel grapes think they will be a favorite for you.