The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sweet wines?

I've been into trying new wines lately and I am looking for recommendations for some really tasty sweet ones to try. The sweeter, the better...think moscato-sweet. Thanks a bunch.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Are you looking for something as a standalone? Or something to have with dessert, chocolate, etc. ?

Standalone. I don't usually eat when I drink (I'm weird), except for sometimes maybe I will have a little cheese.

1 members found this post helpful.

Have you tried Riesling? Chateau St. Michelle makes several of varying levels of sweetness. I can only vouch for their quality as we sell their off-dry 2011 vintage in the restaurant where I work and not being a sweet fan, I never had the motivation to try any other brands.

Gewurztraminer is another one, but generally not as sweet as Riesling. I can do a G. paired with the right food (i.e. spicy Mexican or Asian.)

There is lots to enjoy in the wine world.
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

This stuff is really sweet and meant to be chilled. And it's cheap. http://www.barefootwine.com/our-wine...ines/sweet-red

2 members found this post helpful.

Bonny Doon Vineyard in California has a lot of intriguing sweet wines. I used to train (cycling) in that area. Bonny Doon road is one of the gnarliest roads in the Santa Cruz mountains so naturally I became curious about the vineyard with the same name...

www.bonnydoonvineyards.com

Prices are reasonable.

2 members found this post helpful.

Bug Juice! It's a Moscato and it is delicious. My favorite, though, is this:

http://www.boissetfamilyestates.com/....aspx?prdid=29

Both of those run around the $15+.

Also, if you are willing to try something that isn't quite as sweet, Dr. Beckermann Rheinhessen Auslese from Trader Joe's is also very good. I think I paid about $7/bottle for that one.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

As far as desert wine, Inniskillin IceWine Riesling is relatively widely distributed and quite good. There are also some terrific California dessert wines like Far Niente's Dolce and Grgich Hills' Violetta.

In terms of a sweet wine that isn't necessarily a dessert wine, try the white Conundrum by Caymus.

Menage A Trois Mosocato is my favorite. I might've drank a whole bottle on Thanksgiving. Yummmmmmm
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by ViewParadise View Post
    This stuff is really sweet and meant to be chilled. And it's cheap. http://www.barefootwine.com/our-wine...ines/sweet-red
    I've actually eyed this one a few times at the store. I'll try it next time!

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    Menage A Trois Mosocato is my favorite. I might've drank a whole bottle on Thanksgiving. Yummmmmmm
    Thanks! I will give that a try as well. I just tried Cupcake Moscato D'Asti and it was pretty yummy if you like sweet wine!

I've tried a few Rieslings and they were okay, but not sweet enough for me. Do you get used to not as sweet wines the more you try them? So far most of the reds don't do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    Thanks! I will give that a try as well. I just tried Cupcake Moscato D'Asti and it was pretty yummy if you like sweet wine!

I've tried a few Rieslings and they were okay, but not sweet enough for me. Do you get used to not as sweet wines the more you try them? So far most of the reds don't do it for me.
    Cupcake moscato is a great sweet wine.
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post

I've never been a fan of red wines. They're just WAY too bitter for my taste. I do think that some Rieslings are sweeter than others, but in my experience, the more I try them, the more I'm able to live with them if they're not as sweet as I like. Also, if they aren't as sweet, it seems to help me if I'm eating something. That way, I want to keep drinking and it helps me develop a tolerance for them, if that makes sense.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

You should also look into Sauternes. It's a very sweet grape varietal from Bordeux—they can be pricey, but they often sell in half-bottles. They're so sweet that that's really all you need.

I'd recommend you stay away from Joseph Handler Sweet Red. It was barely half a step up from drinking rubbing alcohol. It was bad enough that I wouldn't even cook with it-- it went down the kitchen drain.

If you can get your hands on it....Eis Wein is the sweetest. Oh it is SO good!

It is originally made only in German, on the Rhein river, but as it's popularity spread, so has it's locations of origin. There is some made in Canada that is less expensive than Eiswein from Germany.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_wine

We have found some good, not bank breaking ice wine out of Germany as well, but due to the process necessary to create wine, as well as the yield, it tends to be expensive.

I too only like drinking sweet wines. I usually stick to Rieslings, but have found that the dry ones can be much more bitter than I'd like.

Recently, I was offered a very good rosee at a restaurant, so don't discount those.

Another terrific alternative is apple cider. I found I liked that much better than any so-so white wine I've tried.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Nachtgold Eiswein! Super sweet, seriously tastes like juice: http://www.liquorama.net/nachtgold-e...l-germany.html

You can get it at Sam's club.

ETA: you may also want to try lambic beer, which really doesn't taste like beer at all. I've found Lindemans to be readily available in several grocery stores. The framboise tastes like sparkling juice! http://www.lindemans.be/start/framboise/en
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I really like Rieslings. Look for Rieslings with lower alchohol as they are sweeter.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I just had the most delicious wine a few weeks ago at a wine tasting at Zorvino Vineyards in Sandown, NH. Their Apple wine is crisp, light and fruity. www.zorvino.com