The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    I'm going to run into trouble with this soon. I HATE driving in my riding boots now so I take them off an put on sperrys is its warm or uggs if its cold (sooo cozy). I go to the grocery store/gas station/etc after riding & I'll sometimes stop at Starbucks before because it is a half hour drive to the barn. I did this all the time back when I rode regularly 5 years ago, but that was before the "equestrian look" became popular....now I feel like people are going to think I'm one of those fashionista types (I'm definitely NOT). Oh well, the chances of me seeing someone I know are pretty slim.
    You'd fit in perfectly in my town. It's unusual if you go in to the grocery or drug store and DON'T see someone in breeches/boots/colored knee highs and sneakers.

Many years ago, my farrier's wife forgot to take her helmet off just once. It was possibly the luckiest mistake of her life, since she got in a car accident on the way home, and came out without a scratch after she cracked the windshield with her helmet instead of her skull.

I doubt she had the presence of mind to buy a lottery ticket on her way home from the accident, but she should have!

3 members found this post helpful.

I've made it all the way into the house and sat down to watch tv. Admittedly my barn is a minute walk from the back door. But it wasn't until I saw my reflection in the tv that I noticed. Shows you just how light the Speed Air feels on my head!

I've never forgotten my helmet. I've gone out in half chaps, I've forgotten to take the cuffs out of my jeans after I take off my chaps, and I've forgotten that I was wearing my western spurs on several occasions.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Grocery store shopping after my weekly Saturday morning lesson is a weekly event. I like to go at that time because they have all the free cheese samples out then. Its on my way home so its not like Im going to go home, shower, change and THEN go back out to the store. Nope.

So here I am, every week, in half chaps, boots, and snot stained breeches, some sort of old wool sweater/jacket combo, my hair tied into a knot on the top of my head, and a fresh hairnet indention on across my forehead which looks like some sort of surgery scar (think silence of the lambs) I get all sorts of looks which range from snobby (omgosh i would never walk around looking like that), confused, and looks of pity because Im probably homeless.

I wash my hands before i leave the barn and apply hand santizer before I take a cheese sample but man oh man, I sure do scare off the other patrons which leaves more cheese for me! Win!

6 members found this post helpful.

Back in the dark ages, and living where I do, everyone thought I was a softball player when I'd go into the grocery store in breeches and tall socks. That's back when athletic types wore knee socks, so I had a bunch of white, knee-high socks with blue or red stripes around the tops that I'd wear under my boots.

Never did the helmet thing, though.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I once made it all the way to the Dunkin Donuts drive through window with my helmet on. The looks of confusion from the employees clued me in...
    -JustWorld International-

This year on halloween, my daughter kept her helmet, boots, and half chaps on driving between barns. We stopped to run in the gas station, and the attendant thought she was there to trick or treat.

Oh, I've been known to walk into any given grocery store at any given time with my hair in a ponytail, in a polo shirt, breeches, tall boots, spurs (if riding a lazy horse/pony that day), belt, and medical armband. hehehe.... the looks you get, I had someone ask me if I was a jockey one day... I was wearing spurs that day.... anyone else see the problem here?? haha!! I politely said, "No, I'm too tall" and walked off to the sugar cubes(for the horse, not me)
    ~Buy an OTTB, Save a Life, Gain a Forever Bond.~
    Let's say NO to Kill Buyers

Too funny!!
    I just did a similar thing a couple of weeks ago, but it was just the FedEx guy with a custom ordered door that had to be inspected before he could leave. Mine is a CO, too. Way too comfy and I do forget it is on sometimes!
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

Haven't made it into the car with my AYR8 on yet, but my hairnets and I hang out together a little too often.

Wearing breeches, tucked-in polos, boots and spurs is pretty normal at my high school-several riders (and a show mom/teacher)

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by PaintPony View Post
    You'd fit in perfectly in my town. It's unusual if you go in to the grocery or drug store and DON'T see someone in breeches/boots/colored knee highs and sneakers.
    haha you don't happen to live in Middleburg VA do you? I miss that place soooo much....
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I just had to add to this...I'm about to show up at my SCUBA classroom lesson. In breeches & Uggs. Winning at life today, obviously.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

1 members found this post helpful.

Always switch my helmet for a cap or hat, but I'm the lady who is digging through her purse at the cash register & pulls out a hairnet with her wallet. The cashier gave me the most disgusted look - I wonder what she thought it was??

2 members found this post helpful.

Never forgot to take my helmet off, but there were many, many visits paid to Dunkin' Donuts or Wawa with me in my full chaps. On a cold night after a lesson, those things were so warm and comfy! (I did always make sure to wear a jacket or sweater that covered my behind.)

This happened way back in the day before atm's when one actually had to walk into the bank and talk to someone to get the money out of the bank.. I had ened a day at a show and still and on my britches but no boots but knee hi socks. It was July so no way would it snow anytime soon. There was an old man (guessing about 80yrs old+) in line with me and he kept staring at me, ( this was before we automatically thought that he would be a pervert) and finally he touched the sleeve of my ratcatcher and said " cross country skiing right?" .. I just about lost it so did the bank people.. but kindly said 'yes that is exactaly right' Turns out everything he saw was Xcounty skiing while he was not alshimers(sp) he just thought everyone with tight clothes was cross country skiing because he saw it somewhere.. though at the time I lived in a high horse area.
    Friend of bar .ka

1 members found this post helpful.

Ummm, I have left a show and forgotten to take my number off. Twice just this year. I do jumpers so it's not hard to forget when I'm wearing a polo or sweater and ratcatcher. So ridiculously embarrasing, like I wanted to advertise that I just showed or something. I started pinning the #s to my pad now instead!

One Halloween I had a horse show in San Francisco, and a costume party in LA the same night. I just decided I'd save time and go straight from one to the other. So I wore my entire get-up, helmet and all, to the airport, on the plane, and through the next airport. I thought more people would appreciate my effort, but I must have smelled kind of bad because not a whole lot of people wanted to hang out with me at the party.

A friend of mine used to gallop racehorses before work and one day a factory co-worker complimented her on her "cool leather pants" and said "I can't believe you'd wear something that nice to work here." Yep, full chaps...
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"