The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool That moment when you realize you forgot to take your helmet off...

So. I forgot to take off my helmet tonight. Went to the grocery store, got gas, and made a bank deposit all while sporting my lovely CO

No wonder I got so many off-glances.

At least it must fit me well if I forgot to take it off?

22 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

That is impressive, I don't think I'd ever forget to take mine off before leaving the barn! I did take it off after my lesson today then regret it as I walked back to the ring to watch friends ride because it was soooo COLD without it!!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    That is impressive, I don't think I'd ever forget to take mine off before leaving the barn! I did take it off after my lesson today then regret it as I walked back to the ring to watch friends ride because it was soooo COLD without it!!
    Exactly! I forgot my hat today and got pretty warm during my ride tonight, so I figured I'd keep it on for a bit while untacking and making mash. Oops!

haha, I would have loved to see that!!

I can't forget... I always seem to bash my helmet getting into the car.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

6 members found this post helpful.

Hah! I bash mine getting in the car too, so I never get any further than that.

2 members found this post helpful.

Same here. Once in a while I try to leave with mine on and hit my head on the roof of the car getting in.

2 members found this post helpful.

I am so glad that today's helmets are so lightweight and comfortable that we can forget that we are wearing them! I haven't gotten as far as my vehicle yet, but have kept it on longer than I would have with the old bubble helmets of the 90s, which weighed a ton! I love my navy CO

Bahahah that's hilarious! I think the furthest I've made it with my helmet on is getting in the car....when I whacked my head on the door frame. Good thing I was wearing a helmet!

3 members found this post helpful.

I've forgotten to take off my spurs, my chaps, and my medical armband. My helmet not so much

Or...that moment when you realize you've forgotten to take off your hairnet.

Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

9 members found this post helpful.

Never managed to forget to take my helmet off. Normally too itchy to forget it, lol. I have forgotten to take off my half chaps, particularly when it's cold out. They definitely feel nice in the cold. Definitely got some weird looks at the grocery store with those on!

I have kept my helmet on until I got in the car before, but always remember it by then... but I have definitely gone around in public with a hairnet tucked into my ponytail and flopping around on my head before!

Since I usually ride in breeches and half chaps, I leave the half chaps on when going to the grocery store, because I figure it looks more "oh, she rides horses" than the "um, is she trying for some dirty attempt at fashion?" that knee-high paisley lycra socks.

10 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post

Since I usually ride in breeches and half chaps, I leave the half chaps on when going to the grocery store, because I figure it looks more "oh, she rides horses" than the "um, is she trying for some dirty attempt at fashion?" that knee-high paisley lycra socks.
    I'm going to run into trouble with this soon. I HATE driving in my riding boots now so I take them off an put on sperrys is its warm or uggs if its cold (sooo cozy). I go to the grocery store/gas station/etc after riding & I'll sometimes stop at Starbucks before because it is a half hour drive to the barn. I did this all the time back when I rode regularly 5 years ago, but that was before the "equestrian look" became popular....now I feel like people are going to think I'm one of those fashionista types (I'm definitely NOT). Oh well, the chances of me seeing someone I know are pretty slim.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

When I was a kid I wore my helmet everywhere. I mean in the car to the barn, everywhere at the barn, and I once wore it into a restaurant. At that point in my life I didn't understand what the normal implications were for a kid that always had to have a helmet on.

That said, my mom and I were driving home from the barn one night when a dog ran out and she hit it with the car. We stopped and the woman came flying out after her dog screaming and really upset. She started to freak out on my mom and then she saw me there with my helmet on. Thinking I was "special," she began consoling me, which made me really confused. We called the police and told them what happened and the woman just kept hugging me and telling me everything was going to be fine and that I shouldn't worry.

The police came and got the jack out, (we were driving a tiny saturn) and propped the car up and the dog ran out unharmed. Score one for my mother never driving over 15mph. It took me years to realize why that woman acted like that and now its a huge joke in my family.

22 members found this post helpful.

Traveling between Bloomington and the South Shore

I still to this day go everywhere with my helmet on. To grab coffee, get gas, get lunch. I would rather get weird looks from people than take my helmet off for an errand only to come back to the barn and have to put on a sweaty hairnet and helmet.

1 members found this post helpful.

I wore my helmet out to get gas and hot chocolate because I knew I'd have to get on horses the moment I got back. I was actually a little disappointed that I didn't get more strange looks.

1 members found this post helpful.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Slightly off-topic, but for my rec-league volleyball league this year, we had a game on Halloween so my team insisted that we had to dress up. I forgot of course, until I received a last minute threatening text that I "better be dressed up or else", or something to that effect. I already had to stop at the barn to drop something off for my horse, so I thought, no way will I have time to do that AND find a costume.

So long story short, I decided a good compromise that would save me time would be to just dress up in my riding clothes. I put on my loosest fitting shirt with the collar undone, a stretchy-material riding jacket and my speed air, complete with my volleyball shorts and knee high black socks to look like boots.

The (most) embarrassing part came when my friends and I decided to hit the local pizza place after for a bite, and it just so happened that the BO's son and friends were out for pizza and beers on the same night. Pretty sure I turned redder than the pizza sauce when I saw him and his twenty-something friends who all recognized me in my half-volleyball half-equestrian get up...

Needless to say, that was my last foray with my helmet in public for awhile.

5 members found this post helpful.

I actually did this for the first time on Saturday...

I had a lesson, and it was very cold out. I never noticed that my helmet was still on, until I got home....

I drive a truck, so there was no chance of hitting my head on the littel door frame of a car...unfortunately...

I'm just thankful I didn't stop anywhere on my drive home from my lesson...I was pulling the horse trailer, so I'm sure anyone who saw me figured it out, but...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I leave my helmet on when it's cold out, even if I'm stopping somewhere after I ride, unless I've got a hat in the car. Normally my hats get stranger looks than the helmet, though... Apparently moose hats aren't normal?!
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

3 members found this post helpful.

When you drive a truck & you aren't at risk of hitting your head & it's cold out so the helmet stays on longer - the chances of this happening increases