The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I am having the opposite problem! I have always had short hair; every thing from the "Dorothy Hammel" through an asymmetrical look in the eighties! But this last year I have been growing it out and I am starting to dislike it.

Pixie hair is so low maintenance and cool in the humid summer. There are lots of styling options (contrary to many opinions). I have given myself until Christmas to grow hair then I am thinking of going back to my Pixie.

Do it! You will love it!

I second the wig idea. And usually places like Goodwill have recycled wigs, or do as another poster suggested about the wig shop. You don't have to go to pixie though. You can have shorter hair, but not 2" short, and please, if you lop off a lot find a hairdresser that will donate it for you. And ask a bunch of people with hair that looks good who their hairdresser is. For a dramatic change you want someone who has vision, adapts the cut to your face shape, and discusses what you do or don't want. For maintenance you can go somewhere else, especially if the really good one is more costly than you want to spend, but go to someone who is really good for this.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I am like Erin - I chop it off, grow it out. I am currently growing and it is near my shoulders, from a 1 1/2" pixie earlier this year. My hair grows fast!

Growing it out can be painful, cute clips and headbands are your friend!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I did it, and hated every minute of of it. It took a year before I could have my ponytail back!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I would DEFINITELY donate what was cut off. I've done it many times...even when I've just gone from "stupidly long" to reasonably long (my hair is a monster that grows REALLY fast).

Part of me just wants to do it. No questions, just chop, and see what happens.

What the hell is wrong with me?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by RWR View Post
    I chopped my hair off today! Donated 12 inches to Locks of Love. It's a lot different but as others have said, it's "just" hair and it will grow back. I'd say go for it!
    I donated mine a little over a week ago. Went from hitting the bottom of my ribcage to about jawline length. My hair grows pretty quickly, so this was the 4th or 5th time I've done it.

The first time was definitely the hardest mentally, but now it's super easy to just get fed up with all the brushing and conditioning and braiding it to keep it out of my way. This last time, I walked in and was like "I've had it, this stuff needs to go!"

I'm awful about going in to have my hair trimmed, though, so I always go for a bob, since it looks decent while growing out. I've debated going for a pixie cut, but while the day to day would be super easy, I don't want to go in to have a trim often enough to not look weird and shaggy. I didn't set out to have long hair this go around, I just put hair cuts so far down on my to-do list that it ends up that way.

Be very honest and specific with yourself and the stylist about exactly how much maintenance you want to put into your hair. The only "bad" haircut I ever had was the time I got a gift certificate to a really expensive ritzy place. I told the stylist I wanted something "low maintenance" but I didn't specify what that meant to me. Her idea of low maintenance and mine were very different. I meant wash, brush, and ignore. She meant blow dry over a round brush and apply just a little mousse. I don't own a hair dryer, a round brush, or mousse. Styling products are just simply not in my repertoire
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

The first time was definitely the hardest mentally
    Uh, yeah.

I am loving the idea, but I am sick to the stomach about it, too!

I am not a vain person, and I'm definitely not one of those girls who gets wildly caught up in looks. I like being a girl and wearing a dress and a little makeup on occasion, but most of the time its jeans, a pony tail or braid, and no makeup. But I have a thing about my hair. I really love my hair. But as I was just pulling it back I was thinking "You wear it pulled back 98% of the time. What's the point of all that lovely hair if you can't show it off?"

This requires serious consideration.

I've done it a few times. In college I went to a short pixie cut and didn't grow it out again until I got married 5 years after that. The growing-out phase is the worst - I think that no matter how pretty anyone is, there are some really ugly and bad hair moments while growing out hair.

That said, I grew out and cut off my hair for Locks of Love a few years ago. Then after V for Vendetta came out I decided to shave my head because I thought it looked really cool (I had had my hair very short, but never clipper-short!)! I liked it, it was very fun and easy, but after the initial clipper job I let it grow out. I'm now growing it out to donate again and it is boob-length. Not sure when I'll cut it.

Short hair is FUN! Growing it out is NOT!
    My Mustang Adventures - my blog!
    Yoga for Equestrians
    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I got bored once and died my hair RED red. My friend said I looked like the Wendy's girl. I liked it when I did it, knowing that it was a "hey why not" moment, but as it faded into a more natural auburny red I liked it even more and have kept dying it (albeit a more natural tone!).

Soooo you should go for it!
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

What a cool thread to read through. I never understood much about why women made radical changes to their hair, except, maybe, when they're trying to make radical changes to their life.

Not a lot of choices for guys. Weirdly, for us when over time there is less of it on our heads, it looks better trimmed very short.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

1 members found this post helpful.

I've done that quite a few times but what I never take into account is that I hate going to get my hair cut. I don't like going to the salon and making the appointment and all that, truly dislike it. Usually I've had a really good haircut at the first chopping and then it's followed by a lot of bad cuts as it all grows back out again. I'm in the process of just letting it grow again now... it does grow back but it takes a LONG TIME!

I like my long hair too-I do miss it when it's not there and I always love the first day that it can blow in the wind again!

double post!

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantane View Post
    What a cool thread to read through. I never understood much about why women made radical changes to their hair, except, maybe, when they're trying to make radical changes to their life.

Not a lot of choices for guys. Weirdly, for us when over time there is less of it on our heads, it looks better trimmed very short.
    I did cut all my hair off a few times as a teenager (not as short as I'm thinking now, but very short). I think that was partly "rebellion" (I was so NOT rebellious).

I don't think I'm looking for a radical change in life. But, I have a massive head of hair, and I'm bored. It's November, it's dark, the show season's over...what else do I have to do?

I AM seeing a sports psychologist, and a few friends have suggested asking him for insight as to why I feel the need to do this.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I think it's just in your nature to do crazy stuff for the sheer joy of doing something. You've always seemed like a free spirit who doesn't care what other people think of you or anything you do.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

That was a cool thread to read, so many fun stories!

I had waist-long hair until I was 15, got tired of always having to do "something" with it (breads, etc) and decided to go for much, much shorter hair. I loved it. Let it all grow back, mostly because I hate going to the hairdresser. Then when I was pregnant with my 1st child, in my late 20ies, the waist-long hair got really, really bothersome, so I cut it all out of frustration, mostly. I went really, really short. What a relief that was! But my husband mourned. lol
    I've had short hair ever since. I tried to let it grow back a couple times and always broke down and had it cut again. I still don't like going to the hairdresser and only go 2x or 3x a year, so I go for styles that will still look good when a little longer. Then when it gets too long in my neck I can't stand it and end up at the hair dresser again.
    MAN I hate going to the hairdresser!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I chopped all mine off when I was pregnant in a fit of hormone induced madness. Walked into Supercuts and told the hairdresser to take it all off because I didn't want my baby to choke on it. (Madness... I'm telling you!) She did, then I got home and cried because it was gone. I couldn't even get it in a ponytail! I hated it and was convinced I looked like a grunge rockstar. I must have sobbed for a week.

DH was terrified.

I'm in the process of growing it back out, and it's at a pretty awkward stage. Thank goodness it's winter and I can hide it under beanies, hats, and the like.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantane View Post
    I can't speak for other women, but in my case it's more about extreme procrastination than intentional radical change. It's just that the "trim" was overdue by about... three years
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Last year before my 25th birthday (semi quarter life crisis? maybe haha) I went to the salon, and told my stylist to chop my hair off. It was just below my shoulder blades and I got it cut into a longish bob, longer in front and short in the back. I was in love with it, and how easy it was to style and have fun with. Ex-BF at the time was shocked and told me many months later (after saying it looked good that day) that he really didn't like it at all and wished I would have asked him first (this after we had been dating 2 months).

Sadly, while it was a fun haircut to have, I missed being able to do stuff with my hair, and grew it out before I left for BMT so I could put it in a passable bun.

Now, I'm growing it out, and have found a good length to where it looks good in my regulation bun but also looks good on my own time.

I do plan to let my hairstylist at home have a a little fun with it when I go home in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I would DEFINITELY donate what was cut off. I've done it many times...even when I've just gone from "stupidly long" to reasonably long (my hair is a monster that grows REALLY fast).
    Do it! I've donated mine before. It's a great excuse to go short. And heck, it grows back.

I'm on the verge again. I just can't pick a style.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Do it! I've donated mine before. It's a great excuse to go short. And heck, it grows back.

I'm on the verge again. I just can't pick a style.
    I'm having fun with it! I think I really like Michelle William's hair.
    http://www.stylebistro.com/The+Cutes...helle+Williams