The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Ever want to do something crazy? Like cutting all your hair off?? UPDATE!

I don't know if I'll ever have the guts to do it, but I ADORE really short, cute pixie cuts. I am always threatening to do it myself, but never have the cuts, mostly because my hair hasn't been THAT short since I was maybe 4!

I love my hair...it is very pretty, a great color, and long. The way I keep it cut is cute and current...but I really just sometimes want to chop it all off, just to see what it would be like!

Anyone else?
    Last edited by yellowbritches; Dec. 14, 2012 at 07:26 PM.

Hair grows back! Do it!

I cut my butt-length hair off after my mom died. It's just below my ears. It's been wonderful, and I have never looked back. That was about 9 years ago...

2 members found this post helpful.

I've never cut my hair into a pixie cut, but I did have it lopped off from several inches below my shoulder blades to around my jawline. I love it, it looks great, and I can't imagine going back! Not to mention, maintenance is SO much easier.

I know what you mean and am still hoping to one day find the hairdresser who will actually tell me what might suit me in terms of style. Going to someone new this week (umm, only really get hair done once or twice a year), who happens to be my farrier's wife, so maybe, just maybe, I'll get an opinion on such matters.

Wait, yellowbritches, are we twins separated at birth?

Funny to see you on the beer thread and the hair thread - especially since I rarely post - maybe it's the Flower Power at work

Anyhow, I say try the pixie cut - the hair will grow back!

Got pixied two months ago. Love it! I thought it would be high maintenance but coming up on 8 weeks and just now thinking it needs a trim. Do it! I have had my hair down to my waist and everywhere in between and.. Its just hair. It grows back!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cagey22 View Post
    I know what you mean and am still hoping to one day find the hairdresser who will actually tell me what might suit me in terms of style. Going to someone new this week (umm, only really get hair done once or twice a year), who happens to be my farrier's wife, so maybe, just maybe, I'll get an opinion on such matters.

Wait, yellowbritches, are we twins separated at birth?

Funny to see you on the beer thread and the hair thread - especially since I rarely post - maybe it's the Flower Power at work

Anyhow, I say try the pixie cut - the hair will grow back!
    Ha! Maybe (also, I usually only get it cut once or twice a year, too...which is silly, because it does grow VERY fast and needs more attention than that!).

EqT, what kind of hair do you have? Mine is quite thick, but pretty straight. There have been theories by stylists in the past that it wants to be a little wavy, but it is so thick and heavy that it just goes straight (I don't know if there is in validity to that!).

Get thee to a *good* wig store and try the styles and colors on that you like. I've never had a high end wig place mind, I've said up front I wasn't planning on buying a wig but I'd be happy to pay for time trying or to give a donation for wigs to go to cancer patients.

I found out a whole bunch of stuff, the main thing being:

How I think something will look IN my head doesn't come close to matching how it actually looks ON my head!

The only other color that doesn't look horrifying on me is red. (I'm blonde and apparently too pale) And there are 40 billion shades of red.

I thought a short or pixie style would be a decent style for my tiny cranium.
    I thought wrong.
    Small head + long face = Haflinger with an Arab bridlepath

It's fun to try on a red pixie though...and walk aroung singing "I'm Mr Heat Miser...I'm Mr Sun!"

Try calling a local wig store or two...we had a blast and it was soooo very much worth the donation I gave.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I don't know if I'll ever have the guts to do it, but I ADORE really short, cute pixie cuts. I am always threatening to do it myself, but never have the cuts, mostly because my hair hasn't been THAT short since I was maybe 4!

I love my hair...it is very pretty, a great color, and long. The way I keep it cut is cute and current...but I really just sometimes want to chop it all off, just to see what it would be like!

Anyone else?
    Most of the time my hair is long but I've chopped it short maybe three times in my life. Every single time I've regretted it...I don't have the face for short hair! I'd think about it pretty hard before doing it if I were you because once it's gone it takes forever to grow back!! I'd love one of those short hair cuts I could just run my hands through and gel and be good to go, but they look terrible on me.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

For the first time I cut all my hair off. It was around my butt and I chopped it off to an inch below my ears. I hate it!! I am glad I did it, but I am still waiting for it to grow back.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I chopped all of mine off this past summer and while it took a while to get used to, I love the ease of it. I'm not to the point where it's grown out a little and I'm playing with different styles. What I really like is that it makes my face look leaner and younger - it shows off my jawline a little more. It fits great under my helmet and I don't have to worry about show bows!!! Do it - it may be scary but it will grow back and if you have a good hairdresser you can have fun playing with different styles.
    Come to the darkside...we have cookies.

OMG MistyBlue, you had me choking and loling..

But OP, yes please consider Misty's idea about the wigs. I've gone from waist-length to 2" twice now.

You'd have thought i'd remember my gynormous ears BEFORE the 2nd time..

**sigh**

I will NEVER grow my hair back out. I went very short, styled after Sharon Ozbourne's hair, this summer. It's super simple to keep looking good - almost zero work every morning unless I want to.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I like my hair shoulder length or a little past, but, I have cut mine a few times to donate. I can't ever get mine long enough for Locks of Love, but Pantene's Beautiful Lengths has a little shorter requirement! So those of you bold enough to chop off a bunch it is always wonderful to donate! http://www.pantene.com/en-US/Pantene...s/default.aspx
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Ha! Maybe (also, I usually only get it cut once or twice a year, too...which is silly, because it does grow VERY fast and needs more attention than that!).

EqT, what kind of hair do you have? Mine is quite thick, but pretty straight. There have been theories by stylists in the past that it wants to be a little wavy, but it is so thick and heavy that it just goes straight (I don't know if there is in validity to that!).
    Its true for my hair at least. My previously stick straight butt length hair is now rather wavy, especially at the ends, at mid back/bra strap-ish length

I chopped my hair off today! Donated 12 inches to Locks of Love. It's a lot different but as others have said, it's "just" hair and it will grow back. I'd say go for it!

3 members found this post helpful.

Do it! I do it often - grow it long, hack it off, rinse, repeat. Right now I've got a Meg Ryan short-do but had it long enough just a few months ago to do a bun. I literally took a photo of her with me to the salon.
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

Sophomore year of college I walked by a salon, turned around and walked in. I had shoulder-blade length hair, curly and thick, and told the stylist to do whatever she wanted, no holds barred. She asked if I was serious about 'whatever' about twice, I said yep, don't even tell me what you're going to do.
    Soooo out of character! I had had shortish hair in high school (brushed the top of my polo collars), but nothing shorter since toddlerhood.
    She cut it quite short in the back/most of my head, with a section of length in the front to do a side part and tuck it behind my ears. The length behind was about one curl's worth if that makes sense.
    I LOVED IT. it was so easy, and sassy! I barely used products and shampoo compared to how i blew through it with longer hair.
    I had a few subsequent hair cuts keeping up that style, and with only one exception (stylist kept the lowest part of my hair by the nape of my neck longer than I liked.... But I just chopped that off myself lol!) I really enjoyed it. I have to say my sexuality was questioned by strangers at bars more often than I expected (LOL) but i really should have seen that coming, considering how many gay friends I hung out with anyway! Didn't bother me though, just got kind of repetitive.

I ended up growing it out and have had my hair from shoulder length to bra strap length ever since.
    My wages now rely on tips, mostly from older men (hey now, i work at a country club, don't get any wild ideas..!) and i really do think long hair does influence my tips to an extent, so im wary of chopping it all off. But it would be so refreshing! I think I'd like to do it just for a week or so!
    Hmm.
    All that said.... This is a dangerous thread to be thinking about, in the middle of a really bad hair day, err, week.
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

The trauma of my one & only pixie-type haircut, nearly 36 years ago, is still too fresh for me to ever consider going close to that short again. (That, and my face shape is all wrong).

Mom took me for a haircut; at the time, my hair was about mid-back length. I thought I was getting a trim, but Mom had told the stylist, named Janice, to pixie me.

8 year-olds as a rule do not like drastic haircuts. 8 year-old girls, in particular, do not like "boy haircuts". Besides the shock, there's always the dread of the inevitable ridicule from classmates.

When I realized all of my lovely long hair was gone and there would be no more cute ponytails or braids, no more fun barrettes, I burst into tears and screamed, "I HATE IT!" Then I turned to Janice and screamed, "AND I HATE YOU TOO!" Mom knew it was really bad because I tended to be a really sweet and polite kid out in public.

She felt so bad that I never got another haircut, aside from trims, until I was 15. It grew to my butt. Since then it's never been shorter than just above my shoulders. (I keep it there - short enough to flatter, long enough for a ponytail or a french braid).

To this day I still hate the name "Janice".

4 members found this post helpful.

I literally did. Earlier this year I had a crazy day, thought I had failed an exam that would completely mess up my future, and I came home and cut my own hair off. From halfway down my back to a short-ish bob. And then called a friend and said 'I may have done something crazy, please come fix my hair! And bring alcohol.'.
    It's been great! I love it this length. I eventually went and got a better cut, and have since coloured it, but it suits me so much better and it's so much easier. So I'd say go for it!

Oh - and by some act of divine intervention I actually passed the exam and my future stayed on course!

It depends, some people look good with a short style, some people do not (count me in the latter category).

How's your face and head shape? My face is pretty round, I ended up looking like a candied apple with my thick hair. Like other posters, your ears will be exposed and proportions might be off.

In order to stay "cute," you'll need regular trims. I don't know what your schedule or finances are, but something to consider.

Growing it out is the worst ugly duckling stage I think I've ever gone through. Maybe I had some really bad luck with stylists, but I think I wore more bandanas that year than ever!

Now I did chop it off for good reason, Basic Training! I just did not want to deal with Drill Sergeants getting after me because my bun wasn't tight enough/falling out/etc, so yeah the wash n' wear aspect was great for those 10 weeks. Then I had a mullet to deal with when I got home...