The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trainers: Do you use a PA system for lessons?

Thinking about a wireless PA system for teaching in the ring; our arena is large and especially if it's windy our students cannot hear the lesson commands. Plus it would make lessons more like a clinic for others watching. Who has experience with these? Any recommendations as to what/where to buy? Need all-weather speakers for outdoors, wireless microphone. Thanks!

I don't us a pa system, but I did get a small bullhorn It saves my voice but isn't spooky or overwhelming to other riders in the ring. I was about $20 on Ebay and is so helpful when it is windy! Even the riders that thought I was crazy appreciate how much easier it is to hear me now.
    www.easternprospects.com not updated Time for a total rehaul
    www.sherylwilkins.zenfolio.com

1 members found this post helpful.

A PA system is great .If you can have a remote unit ,so you can walk around and set fences or even get on a horse that is a bonus.If you don't want to go to that expense the bullhorn mentioned above,you can also get new at Radio Shack for about 100.00 , is battery operated.It isn't as nice as a PA but gets the job done.It is nice not to have to scream your head off ,and still have people not be able to hear you.Standing outside ,screaming into the wind for hours is a bit frustrating.

Years ago I was a student of a trainer that used one. I hated it because this trainer used it as an excuse to sit on his butt in a chair and basically, click on, "trot", click off. Click on, "canter", click off. That's all he did. Then he took phone calls in between the clicking on and clicking off. Needless to say I didn't last there for more than a few lessons. I like my trainers in there with me. So I think it can definitely be an enhancement, but for some it's an excuse to be lazy.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Years ago I was a student of a trainer that used one. I hated it because this trainer used it as an excuse to sit on his butt in a chair and basically, click on, "trot", click off. Click on, "canter", click off. That's all he did. Then he took phone calls in between the clicking on and clicking off. Needless to say I didn't last there for more than a few lessons. I like my trainers in there with me. So I think it can definitely be an enhancement, but for some it's an excuse to be lazy.
    ^^
    Sounds like he did not need a PA system to be a bad trainer and would have taken the calls and given the single-word directlives, without more, regradless.

Oh, you're absolutely right, OP. It just brings back less-than-fond memories for me.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde