The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gumtree View Post
    See my post #13 which is not taken from Wikipedia. No disrespect to the KSquared.
    I am a Law Student.. I know all about how credible Wikipedia can be. No offense taken. I know I shouldn't use it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Seriusly? You would rather be chased down and ripped up by a mob? Barbaric rituals might have a lot to do with fox hunting getting bad "press". This reminds me of a man explaining the "honor" involved in bull fighting. Bleah.
    Oh please.

1. The fox has no way of knowing that the hounds are out to kill him. He runs because that's what he does when something unfamiliar approaches. He doesn't flee in terror, he does what he does every day, he runs from from something strange.

2. Foxes doesn't get ripped up alive. Like ANY predator, hounds don't want to be injured by their prey. They go for the quick kill, i.e., grab them by the neck, shake violently, and break their neck. It's over in seconds. There are no wounded foxes like you get from gunshots or car hits. When pursued by hounds, the foxes get away clean without a scratch, or they get killed.

3. Healthy foxes simply don't get caught. Only the old and sick. Far more humane than a miserable, drawn out "natural" death. Foxes die every day in the woods. Slow, miserable, painful, unheralded, unappreciated deaths.

About the only other way of reducing their misery is to send teams of vets into the woods to locate and euthanize old or sick foxes.

Foxhunting is an extremely ethical and selective form of hunting. Not random death from a hunter's bullet, not caring if the animal is young and vital, or old and sick. All foxhunting does is replicate a natural predator process. We killed off the foxes natural predators, and with no predators, foxes live to old age and die slowly.

Foxes benefit from hunting. Foxhunters want to have foxes to chase, so foxhunters see to it that foxes have habitat and are protected. And chasing them makes them suspicious of human contact, so they tend to stay away from humans, which means fewer nuisance foxes raiding the hen houses and trash cans near human settlements. Weak, old foxes get sick and spread diseases to healthy fox populations.

All in all, traditional foxhunting enhances fox populations.

38 members found this post helpful.

Barbaric rituals might have a lot to do with fox hunting getting bad "press".
    No, actually it's your ignorance and that of others like you who like to get up on their soap box and pontificate on subjects they obviously know nothing about.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

17 members found this post helpful.

I actually know a lot about hunting and the rituals, having hunted all my life on three continents. I was blooded at about 11 years old and at the time
    went along with the huge honour. As time progressed I became more independent in my thoughts and realized that it was a pretty awful rite of passage.

Anyway, mine was a buck foot and it was mounted on a little plaque. I'm not so anti-kill as I am anti-glorifying and rejoicing at an animal that has died.
    I realize that in some parts control of some sort is necessary.

I am happier drag hunting, but it is a lot different from live.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

16 members found this post helpful.

In New Zealand we hunt hares as there are no foxes here, and "trophies" as they are called here, are awarded after kills. Pads (feet), lugs (ears) and scuts (tails). They are tucked inside the buckle on the cheekpiece of the bridle.

Blooding is no longer done, purely for pc reasons.

Trophies are presented to whichever riders the Master thinks deserve them, often a junior rider who has been hunting well, and our Master at least, likes to spread them around somewhat. I recall a mid-week hunt last season where we only had a small field, and hounds hunted so well that we ran out of people to give the trophies to! Hounds accounted for 5 hares that day, which equals a lot of trophies! =)

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    No, actually it's your ignorance and that of others like you who like to get up on their soap box and pontificate on subjects they obviously know nothing about.
    Heres something we can agree on, I think you are a barbarian and you think I'm an idiot. I feel better in my soul for not glorifying and enjoying the death of another.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

12 members found this post helpful.

Heres something we can agree on, I think you are a barbarian and you think I'm an idiot. I feel better in my soul for not glorifying and enjoying the death of another.

And here you are perpetuating that opinion. However, i did not call you an idiot. I called you ignorant. Which you just reinforced. I have never seen one person ever at a foxhunt "glorify" or "enjoy" the death of the hunted animal, although it does not happen that often that there is a kill. When it has occurred, it has always been a very solemn and respectful thing. Perhaps you should educate yourself about that of which you speak.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

5 members found this post helpful.

Seriusly? You would rather be chased down and ripped up by a mob? Barbaric rituals might have a lot to do with fox hunting getting bad "press". This reminds me of a man explaining the "honor" involved in bull fighting. Bleah.
    The practice of "blooding" or "blooding ritual" goes back thousands of years and can be found in many different cultures. Regardless of the time in history, or the culture, there is a commonality in the ritual.

Respect for the animal and acknowledgment of the value of its life (in most cases because that animal had to die in order to feed the hunter and his family).

Similar rituals exist in religious ceremonies as well (the blood and body of Christ in the Eucharist, for example). These ceremonies, and the profound meanings behind them - go back thousands of years. In no way are those ceremonies ever to be seen as disrepectful. They aren't. You think they are because that's what you want to believe. The cultural anthropology of religious and quasi religious rituals is well documented. Google Scholar is your friend.

Since you obviously know nothing about sport, you're writing from a position of total ignorance. You have a choice. You can become educated, or you can continue to look the fool.

In the US, hunts go years without a kill - and when the kill occurs it is a quick snap to the neck. Usually the fox is old or sick (mange is a horrible affliction that kills a fox slowly and painfully). The goal is to chase - not to kill. But if one occurs it is merely a quick end to what otherwise would be a prolonged illness and death.

I understand the meaning behind the practice of blooding, and don't think it is barbaric at all. Then again, I'm not some cossested urbanite living in a condo - so far removed from the natural world that I think Disney films are documentaries.

Rabies is another common affliction where I live - I'd decline to be blooded for that reason.

Foxhunters have more respect and concern for the welfare of foxes than the motorist who runs over one - and keeps going.

So please spare me the hysterical outrage.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

21 members found this post helpful.

You say tat you ride on drag hunts.

There are people who say that riding at speed, jumping fences, wearing spurs and carrying any sort of whip, crop, or "stick" and the use of any bit other than a snaffle is cruelty to animals.

So it is a matter of perspective.

Time for my sigProtect your privacy. Replace Google with https://startpage.com/

If we do not wish to lose our freedom, we must learn to tolerate our
    neighbor's right to freedom even though he might express that freedom
    in a manner we consider to be eccentric.

Repeal the 17Th Amendment.

End federal mandates that destroy state sovereignty.
    Return to the states the control of their schools, medical care, etc.

Well bless your heart.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    I understand the meaning behind the practice of blooding, and don't think it is barbaric at all. Then again, I'm not some cossested urbanite living in a condo - so far removed from the natural world that I think Disney films are documentaries.

Foxhunters have more respect and concern for the welfare of foxes than the motorist who runs over one - and keeps going. (I'm calling BS on this too)

So please spare me the hysterical outrage.
    You know not of what you speak. I am not a "cosseted urbanite", I grew up on a farm and we slaughtered animals for our table and to sell. We simply shot them, no smearing blood over our bodies, no cutting off parts and caching them on our person. You simply put the animal down and get on with butchering. We were not "cosseted" socialites galloping around the countryside. (that was said tongue in cheek) The act of smearing fresh, hot blood on my face or wherever is a revolting thought. But do enjoy the freedom of America.

And what is wrong with people from the city?

13 members found this post helpful.

Well bless your heart.
    LOL Really? It took you a whole day and that's all you could come up with?
    Thank you. I needed a good laugh today.

Don't try the " I grew up on a farm" routine. You showed your stripes in your previous posts. Your words came right of an AR pamphlet. It wasn't original and you're still not being original. I've read the " I grew up on a farm" retort before too. You guys should change the script. The "socialite" label is a real hoot. A real knee slapper. So predictable. Yawn.

If you did butcher animals, I'm sorry they had to die by the hand of someone who refused to acknowledge their life had value.

The fact is that these rituals, throughout history, are rites of passage that involve showing respect for the animal that died. Examine any culture and this or similar rites exist. That you appear uninterested in educating yourself is just really pathetic. Who is the barbarian now?
    -Rudyard Kipling

6 members found this post helpful.

LOL Really? It took you a whole day and that's all you could come up with?
    Thank you. I needed a good laugh today.
    School must be out. That's the only explanation for the puerile nature of that persons posts. At least I hope it is....
    -Rudyard Kipling

1 members found this post helpful.

regardless of who is right or wrong, I think the most important thing is:

If we do not wish to lose our freedom, we must learn to tolerate our
    neighbor's right to freedom even though he might express that freedom
    in a manner we consider to be eccentric.

10 members found this post helpful.

I am deleting this as I did not intend to raise a ruckus or offend anyone. Happy riding, all!
    Last edited by rhymeswithfizz; Dec. 4, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

3 members found this post helpful.

Goodness. What exactly does the 17th amendment have to do with this?

It could have a lot to do with whether the "better educated" people of CA or NY or possibly even the UN decide what and how you hunt.

And because among many other things, it would return the schools to state control thus allowing local parents to have more say in what the kids are being taught.

A lot of the "animals are like people" nonsense comes from the child's early experiences in school.

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

Blooding, I believe, is now extremely rare to non-existent in Britain. On the other hand, I had the great honour of being given a pad on my first fox hunt. There was competition for the pads as there were 4 French riders also out for the first time. The fox was too old and ragged to be worth saving the mask and brush. I have the pad professionally mounted. Very sadly, I also had moth! Who would have guessed that moths like stuffed fox feet?

3 members found this post helpful.

Im sorry, but, I think that is cruel and disgusting. Why would you want to kill an animal and then smear its blood on you?

9 members found this post helpful.