The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    If you are live hunting, you ARE a part of that. You are, indeed, HUNTING. All the PC talking of "chasing" is just that, PC talk. The hounds are doing their darnedest to track and catch their quarry. And it does happen on occasion. Anyone riding to hounds on a live hunt should accept and come to terms with that fact.

Now, what I enjoy about hunting is the chase, the hound work, the great outdoors and my wonderful horse and my foxhunting friends and the wiles of the quarry and the mysteries of scent. And many other things. I'm glad that in my decades of hunting, the kills have been few and far between. But I've considered and come to terms with the fact that ever time i hunt, something may be caught. For the hounds and their quarry, there is no PC line that they run up to and stop at. Hunting is legal, time-honored, and it's in my blood. I don't need to apologize or deny I'm doing it. If I wasn't comfortable with this reality that something could be caught, I wouldn't hunt...despite the fact that almost every hunt I've ever been on was only a chase or a blank day hacking out.

I don't enjoy a kill, but I can be happy for the hounds whose breeding and training and hard work paid off. I'm glad that much is done to give the quarry a fair shot (and then some), I.e. no dropped foxes or blocked earths and we stop hounds when the game runs out of hunt country (and the quarry figures out what is and is not hunt country pretty darn quick).

I love to hunt, enjoy the chase immensely, but accept that every time we move off from a fixture those hounds are trying to do what they have been bred for generations and centuries to do. And I'm not going to ignore or deny or apologize for it. Hunting isn't for everyone, but I hope those that do hunt learn about and accept what they are a part of.
    So very true! I love to hunt, have tried to stick to the hunts who avoid the kill and in over 30 years only remember 2 foxes killed -- one ran into the road and was hit by a car (along with a hound, very bad day) and the other was clearly old or ill -- but it is what it is, we are hunting and you can't sugar coat that. We respect the fox, the hounds, the horses, the tradition and the land and live to preserve all of that for many reasons only a piece of which is the sport. If you are going to hunt you have to come to terms with all the truth of it. It's not a trail ride...
    Kate

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kt-rose View Post
    So very true! I love to hunt, have tried to stick to the hunts who avoid the kill and in over 30 years only remember 2 foxes killed -- one ran into the road and was hit by a car (along with a hound, very bad day) and the other was clearly old or ill -- but it is what it is, we are hunting and you can't sugar coat that. We respect the fox, the hounds, the horses, the tradition and the land and live to preserve all of that for many reasons only a piece of which is the sport. If you are going to hunt you have to come to terms with all the truth of it. It's not a trail ride...
    I hear what you are saying and I agree. What is disturbing to me is the "ritual" that happens after an animal is killed.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

3 members found this post helpful.

I started hunting in 1941 and never stopped.

I was blooded very shortly thereafter, not sure exactly when.

Frankly, I never cared for it, but there are also a lot of other customs in foxhunting and in fact in life in general that I don't care for.

However, it never has occurred to me to criticize practices that others consider a passage.

Nor to even comment on the customs others consider important.

So long as it harms no one, and I doubt that it harms a dead fox, it is not that important.

So I say again:

If we do not wish to lose our freedom, we must learn to tolerate our
    neighbor's right to freedom even though he might express that freedom
    in a manner we consider to be eccentric.

Protect your privacy. Replace Google with https://startpage.com/

6 members found this post helpful.

We also must accept the freedom of others to express disapproval in our customs. You cannot simply say that you must have your right to do what you want and deny someone else the right to do what they want - as long as what you want does not harm anyone and what they want does not harm anyone. Here, we are speaking of nothing that harms anyone else (save the fox).

So, do not spout the need for preserving freedom while wishing to deny someone theirs.

2 members found this post helpful.

You are correct that good manners and the admirable ability to mind one's own business are at times in conflict with the 1St Amendment.

Like in so many other cases where there are choices, some people have trouble determining which choice to make.

4 members found this post helpful.

OP, please retitle this thread to "The taxonomy of vascular plants" so people will stop reading it and it can die!
    Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling

1 members found this post helpful.