The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

1 members found this post helpful.

Why do you prefer to discuss pricing off board? You're selling something--why keep the price a secret?
    If you are a serious buyer than you will call, if you are a tire kicker you look and keep going.
    Also as a horse progresses from raw to developing talent the price can and will change.
    When the horse does make it to webb site w/ quality photo's, a video and more evaluation then a price is Posted.
    I also put horses up on DreamHorse.com w/ prices.

FaceBook is just an FYI look see of what I have just arived and I prefer to talk w/ a real person rather than cyber chat.

Case in point I was asked about a youngster I saw/bought but did not have yet.
    Pushed for a price so I gave a ballpark number...Horse arrives get to spend some time over week w/ horse. Did let 1st person know horse was here but they didn't get the Message on FB..So I re-evaluated determined a value and sold the horse for more than I had previously anticipated off a 1st impression pricing.
    Plus I prefer not to have comments about pricing on FB.

Kairoshorses, I must do something right because I have clients fly in from Hawaii, based in video, photo and phone conversation.

If I could appreciate the kairohorses' post multiple times I would. A 15 second clip of a horse being chased around a round pen tells me nothing. I want to see all three gaits (briefly is okay) at liberty and under saddle. Please include the transitions under saddle. You gotta love a 3 year old warmblood advertised as under saddle and priced at $35k and you never see the canter on the 6 minute video.

Not including prices seems to be trendy and I can't imagine why. You can always say price subject to increase with training. Buyers are generally working with a budget, why would you want to waste your time with emails/calls about how much? It's a rather simple screening tool on both ends. (except for the dodos that have a $5k budget and think that $15k obo is within the realm of possiblity.)

FB is good for shopping, but trolling thru timelines is cumbersome. The most effective sellers I've seen are good about creating a specific photo album per horse.

Oh and another thing about videos, if you are regularly selling multiple horses per year, please, please, please invest in a hd camcorder with image stabilization and/or a tripod, monopod. My dad has Parkinsons and I swear he could shoot a steadier video than some I see. Makes me crazy.... and mildly seasick.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Just two comments about what I have found as a "shopper"...

If you are advertising a sale horse, at least give an idea of the price range. With no idea of the price, I am too afraid of wasting the seller's time and embarrassing myself to look further. I just pass it over.

Also, a decent video in focus is essential. I have looked at SO many videos that do not answer the basic questions. Please show all 3 gaits as well as some over-fence work if the horse is able.

Transitions would be OK also but when shopping for a somewhat green horse, I don't care if he tosses his head when picking up the canter. I do care if the horse is unwilling to canter on both leads.

2 members found this post helpful.

If I post a horse on faeebook, I don't post the price. It is sort of a privacy issue for me as I really don't like my friends and family looking at the prices of my horses. But on any other site, the price is listed, because those sites are specifically for people searching for a horse.

I figure if someone discovers a horse through facebook and they are seriously looking to buy, a PM is easy and quick.

ahbaumgardner, I agree in esence but not specifis w/ you my family could care less.

Jen Johnston also sells green OTTB as I do and she 1. doesn't post prices 2. Has no lack of clients and no webb site that I know of.

I usually target a specific market and do alot of Direct Marketing that does include a short video clip, good stills w/ leg/feet/conformation shots.
    If a serious customer wants more we try to accomidate w/in reason but an on-site visit is encouraged. I have a tried and true process and sell enough horses yearly to know if it ain't broke don't fix it.....

If I were selling $35k finished product then a diffrent approach could be required but thats not my schtick and I am smart enough to stay where my market is....

Jbrp, I think you do an excellent job of serving your market. I like your at liberty videos because the horses don't appear chased and rushed out of their natural tempo. As for prices, if they are somewhere I don't care if they are on FB or not.

I'm sure Jen does a great job and she seems to move her horses quickly, but I do wish she would put up prices. Every time I've messaged her, the price has been more than reasonable.

One more video pet peeve - slow motion is absolutely useless except as a dramatic effect and maybe to show form over a fence. Step away from the slow-mo button! Lol
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by kritter keeper View Post
    I am in the same predicament.... Sellers do us a favor, post ur prices on ur website and link ur videos to youtube for convenience for all of us who are searching. It is frustrating beyond belief when a seller refuses to respond to a text, an email, but finds time to accept ur facebook friend request...then proceed to ignore ur instant MSG a second later.
    I hate to say this, but if I were a seller (I do not sell horses, so this is totally just an "if" thing) I may not respond to you either. I would want phone calls or email, not text messages. And if emails or PMs were written as above ("ur", etc) I would probably make the mistake of assuming you were not serious or possibly not an adult.

Back when I was representing horses (or trying to) I did my best to answer each inquiry, but short questions, phrased badly or spelled with text speak, almost inevitably were not worth the time and effort of a response, as 99.9% of the time I would not get a return email after I'd gotten back to those people.

It's probably a mistake to think like that, but if you really want information, IMO, it is best to write a coherent, mature sounding email. If they ignore that, well, that is a problem. But I think FB messaging/texting (especially if the phrasing sounds/reads.... "young") is probably not the way most people want to deal with potential buyers. Also remember a lot of people are not on the computer all the time - it's easy to accept a friend request via phone without thinking about it, but fb chat on the phone (when the person might be doing a bunch of other things) not so easy. Another reason it's a pretty horrible method of making inquiries
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

2 members found this post helpful.

_How_ do you search for sale horses on Facebook? Yes, I am a technological idiot, but as an actively looking for a horse buyer, I know how to search websites, but not Facebook, and if Facebook is the way to go, please enlighten me!

Check out WestWind Farms, they have some nice eventers for sale... www.WestWindEquine.com

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    I hate to say this, but if I were a seller (I do not sell horses, so this is totally just an "if" thing) I may not respond to you either. I would want phone calls or email, not text messages. And if emails or PMs were written as above ("ur", etc) I would probably make the mistake of assuming you were not serious or possibly not an adult.

Back when I was representing horses (or trying to) I did my best to answer each inquiry, but short questions, phrased badly or spelled with text speak, almost inevitably were not worth the time and effort of a response, as 99.9% of the time I would not get a return email after I'd gotten back to those people.

It's probably a mistake to think like that, but if you really want information, IMO, it is best to write a coherent, mature sounding email. If they ignore that, well, that is a problem. But I think FB messaging/texting (especially if the phrasing sounds/reads.... "young") is probably not the way most people want to deal with potential buyers. Also remember a lot of people are not on the computer all the time - it's easy to accept a friend request via phone without thinking about it, but fb chat on the phone (when the person might be doing a bunch of other things) not so easy. Another reason it's a pretty horrible method of making inquiries
    Well, I do sell a horse here and there, and I can say that I am quite picky about who comes to see a horse. I would estimate that I reject over 50% on the phone or via email/facebook. It seems that folks have lots of advice about what sellers should do, but from the other side of the fence, I think there are a lot of things that buyers should do as well. And when it comes to making an impression on a buyer, here are some thoughts I've had:

1. Do not fb message someone and ask that they call you. The seller has provided contact info and if you are serious, you will contact the seller. And I appreciate an email, followed up by a phone call.

2. Always be polite and courteous. I recently showed a horse to a party who did not pay the cross country fee required of the facility, despite my request, never thanked me and never followed up afterwards. This same party had trainer give potential client a very lengthy "how to jump off a bank into water" lesson, that was totally unnecessary. I attempted to intervene, but wanting to be polite, did not assert myself enough.

3. If you make an appointment, show up or cancel well ahead of time. A couple of years ago, I had more people NOT show up than actually show up. I don't know what was in the air, but I was not a happy camper.

3. If you cannot pay the price, do not come see the horse! How many times have people called me back later, saying that they want the horse but cannot afford the purchase price? I do not think it is my responsibility to ask a prospective buyer if they can afford the price tag.

4. If you are shopping for a horse for your kid, make sure that you do the contacting. I do not do business with minors and have been duped enough times by 12 year olds that I've jokingly said that I am going to require a faxed picture id of prospective buyers. As much as we all love kids (ha), kids typically do not have checkbooks.

5. Please do not request special pictures or videos if you are not very serious about a horse. It takes some of us a great deal of effort to get extra pictures and videos. Same goes for even looking at a horse.

6. When you are trying out a horse, this is not a time to bring your friend(s) or students along to ride as well. Watch me ride the horse, and then you ride the horse. We don't do pony rides or provide lesson horses

I have had some lovely experiences. Case in point: last weekend a prospective buyer showed up with a bag of carrots and chopped apples. Now that really made my heart smile, as I am so attached to this horse! Big bonus points for bringing treats and making over the horse! And buyer brought along two others, one with camera and one with video, and they actually asked permission to shoot photos. The entire party was gracious, complimentary, and geeze oh pete, I think the horse wanted to climb in their car and go home with them. If you want to get a good deal on a horse, play this game and the buyer will be motivated!

Just a perspective from the other side.