The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Good grief, Fred, you're still gorgeous! But, I know what you mean about lacking the motivation. I was like that for years. It took me time to build up the will power to get on board with a diet plan. I firmly believe that that moment will come to you, too.

I mentioned it in my first post, but I'm going to mention it again, because I would bet that it is the one thing that helps get me through the day best. Try the Spiru-tein protein shakes. http://www.spiru-tein.com/ They are very good for you, and they taste so good that they are a real treat. For me, here in the US, Amazon has the best prices.

I like the vanilla the best, followed by the cookies and cream. Get one of those shaker jars that has the little wire ball inside. They really mix them up and eliminate that icky feeling you get when you run into a glob of unmixed powder. I would suggest mixing them with milk at first. They taste absolutely wonderful with fatfree milk. Mixed like that, they run around 200 calories. I switched to the unsweetened almond milk because I wanted to start using them as a snack, not as a main meal, once I started upping my calories. They're still good, but I will admit that they're not as good as they are mixed with milk. I haven't tried any of the fruit flavored ones that, I think, would be better mixed with juice. Another thing that seems to improve them is to let them sit for a couple of minutes after you have mixed them. They get smoother and lose most of a graininess that they can have if you drink them right down.

I'm a sweet freak and another thing that has helped me is dried fruit. I don't eat much of them, and tend to stick to prunes and apricots which rank high on the nutritional value scale, but I do eat some every day. They give me that little taste of sweet that I tend to feel deprived without.

Organic cereal is something else that will help. I have stuck with Kashi, in spite of the fact that they are owned by, gosh I can't remember, is it General Mills? One of the big corps, that I know. They have the variety available, and they tend to be the highest in nutritional value. When you cut calories, you need to make sure that you are getting adequate fiber. They really help in that, along with their snack bars, and, sigh, good old Metamucil.

And, don't go too low on fat, for the same reason you need fiber. I actually had to make some changes that added fat back into my diet. There is a spread that you can substitute for butter -- Olivio Coconut Spread. Once you get over the fact that it is dead white instead of butter yellow you will find that it tastes absolutely wonderful, and it has half the calories, but quite a bit of fat that I needed. Maybe TMI, but, throughout this diet, constipation has been my biggest problem, and I had to learn by trial and error how much fiber and fat I needed to stay "unplugged."

I believe that most people have their tipping point. They reach the time where they say to themselves that they have to lose weight, for their own good. Some of us, like me, wait far too long. But, that doesn't matter in the end. What matters is taking that first step that will lead to a healthier you.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

2 members found this post helpful.

Wonderful post and information, Louise, thank you.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Great transformation!

I've dropped 39.4 (sooooo close to goal) pounds the slow and healthy way over the last year. I'm now 130.6 pounds, which is my lightest in my adult life. My weight goal is 130, but I am actually shooting for a body fat of 18% and I am at 20.4 right now, so I probably have a few more pound of fat to lose.

I'm doing P90X in an effort to gain muscle and get stronger and I eat 1,800 to 2,000 calories per day. I haven't cut anything from my diet. I just eat less of everything. However, I have found that over the year my tastes and cravings have changed. I simply don't want the crap I used to eat. I was never much of a soda drinker and now I don't want it at all.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I have decided that this is something I can't seem to do on my own, and I think I need to join some kind of program or gym with a personal trainer.
    At the same time, I have a hard time getting past the shame I feel.
    I know everyone is different, but Weight Watchers worked for me, mainly because of the meetings and support every week. I don't think a personal trainer would help if it's really about over eating and emotional eating.

I ate healthy, but also was simply eating too much. And the real culprit for me was drinking way too much wine. It's a LOT of calories, and sugar!

At the end of the day I needed a group setting to talk about why I was gaining the weight and why I was eating. I was at the same place you are now (horrified by my reflection) and it was a terrible place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by LulaBell View Post
    I'm a walking testament that you should get blood work done to be darn sure there isn't some medical reason inhibiting weight loss. Some thyroid issues snuck up on me while living out of the States and I put on like 40 lbs in 2 years without really being all that aware of it. Thanksgiving was kind of my 1 year anniversary for getting my shit together - I got meds sorted out, eat better food and less of it, and work out regularly. Thanksgiving 2011 to 2012...55 lbs lost. What a day to get on the scale!

I'm the same size I was when I was a senior in high school, and still slowly dropping weight. I'm on kind of a half-assed workout schedule at the moment, but I'm certainly not getting burned out! I do weights twice a week, spin once a week, and have 4 riding lessons a week. Very sustainable for me.

Only downside is absolutely none of my clothes fit, even ones from like 6 months ago. And breeches are really expensive! My feet shrunk some, my riding helmet got looser, the collars on my show shirts got much looser...and I lost any boobs I had.

Point of my spiel? Just make sure there isn't something wonky going on before you get super discouraged if you aren't successful with your weight loss endeavors.
    Yup, I'm insulin resistant and CARBS are my downfall. I lost 30 lbs on Atkins 5 years ago but I've been careless and it's creeping back.My biggest downfall is Wegman's fresh squeezed OJ. That stuff should be illegal.
    I've also been less diligent about my blood glucose testing. That gets old in a hurry
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Congrats. You look fantastic!!

I never was particularly overweight, but I was chubby and got up to 140 which is borderline average/overweight for my height (5'4"). I was a binge drinker in high school through first 2 years of college and I stopped binge drinking on weekends, and cut out the majority of processed foods and ate more just steamed veggies and stuff like that. I am now happy that I lost 30 pounds, but gained 5 after working out in the gym like crazy (yay muscle!!). I feel great!!! I know I wasn't obese or anything, but I generally had no energy and it hurt my knees to squat to pick something up, etc. I feel amazing now!!
    You only have to let the soft animal of your body / love what it loves
    "Wild Geese" by Mary Oliver

1 members found this post helpful.

From October 2011 I'm down about 40 lbs, and from my heaviest (early 2010) I'm down about 70 lbs. Went from pushing a size 20 to now a 12/14 depending on the brand.

What's worked for me is adopting a Paleo style of eating (no grains/dairy/processed foods, pretty much meat, eggs, veggies, some fruit and nuts) and joining a CrossFit gym.

At first Paleo sounds horrifying, but once you get over the initial shock of not eating that stuff it's actually not too bad. (I haven't had pizza in over a year and have no desire to eat it.) I'm by no means perfect though, I have my cheat days which I think are actually important as long as you can get back on track.

While diet is the most important thing, at CrossFit I've found my support community that helps me keep going. And the workouts are fantastic for helping re-shape your body.

One thing to remember is to not get fixated on the number on the scale. I'm the same size I was 10 years ago, but I'm about 20 lbs heavier and I think I look better due to my toned muscle mass.

Good job!!!

I was trying to lose 10-15 pounds. I went down about 4 pounds... and then the holidays happened. I gained it all back. I just started on my new plan today though. I was hoping to lose the weight before I graduate on Dec. 14th.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

so...I tried the insanity video tonight on youtube...I could only do day 1 about 15 min in wiht breaks and modifying many of the moves.. :-( and I have a lot to lose...this will be a very long road.

Your posts got me motivated, but the workout deflated me.

Quote Originally Posted by altermetoday View Post
    so...I tried the insanity video tonight on youtube...I could only do day 1 about 15 min in wiht breaks and modifying many of the moves.. :-( and I have a lot to lose...this will be a very long road.

That's probably about 15 minutes, with breaks and modifications, more than I could do, so congratulations. Just remember, small steps will get you there. It's not going to be easy, but, you're a horseperson, you deal with challenges that most people don't every day. Heck yes, you can do this!

Quote Originally Posted by altermetoday View Post

No! Don't get deflated! Insanity is H.A.R.D. All the jumping around? Sigh. It has certainly helped ME get where I want, but if you go to beachbody.com and read the forums, Insanity is NOT for everyone. My SIL has been doing it. She's down to about 265 right now, and has completed the full 60 days. She got frustrated after doing the 2nd month because most of the moves she just can't do due to her current weight. There's a LOT done in the plank position, and she just can't hold that position. She did the first month with a LOT of modifications and plenty of breaks. Do what YOU can do. That's what I really do love about Insanity because it's all on YOU to do what you CAN. It's a building program for sure, you may feel like an out of shape cow for the first 2 weeks, but then you start to feel like a warrior as you get in better shape! Keep the faith, no discouragement!!

Congrats all you other posters that have lost weight! Louise, I've been reading about your amazing weight loss periodically, and I've always been jealous but never been able to motivate myself to ... care enough. Well, now I do! Congrats on your accomplishment Keep it up everyone!!

I've been back tracking my food on Calorie Count (same site Louise said she uses) since March. Back then I was wearing size 14 pants, now my size 10s are too loose and I just bought two dresses in a size 6. STILL can't fit into off the rack wide calf boots, I tend to carry my weight in my legs. No idea how much weight I've lost because I couldn't deal with knowing how heavy I was.

I think I'm currently at my lowest adult weight. I have been tracking everything I eat and really trying to change my habits of eating too many sweets, emotional eating and eating when I'm not really hungry. I have also been riding more, but between working all day and then riding, I haven't been able to work in any other exercise. I just can't do the whole get up at 5 am, work out, work all day, go to the barn, ride then get home at 9 PM and still need to eat dinner and call that great or even doable thing.

What would you all suggest as a more strength based video that I could do at home?? I really need to work on toning (still need to lose more weight as well), especially my arms and legs and always need more core strength.

OP thank you for starting this thread! I am currently about 50 pounds over weight. Part of it is from the meds I have to take, and the other part is I never really was able to loose the baby weight from about 8 years ago. I am at the point where I hate myself and feel guilty after eating. Currently, I am trying to get motivated to just start something. I wish I had someone a friend or neighbor (hard to do when you live rural) to stay on my a$$ like a personal trainer and help get me going. I almost don't even know where to start anymore. Not to mention it's hard when your husband says he loves you no matter what size you are. It is almost enabling. Anyway, I plan to just start walking laps around the farm starting for a half hour at a time. Got to start somewhere. Thanks to all for posting motivating stories.
    Gilchrist said. "With Lost In The Fog, it's different. We want to take real good care of this horse. He's the only bullet in our holster."

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    Saw a blurb on Dr. Oz about Green Coffee Extract to be helpful for weight loss. Has anyone tried that?
    I generally disregard anything Dr. "Quack" Oz says as junk science. He's always pushing one "miracle" weight loss product or another.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Curb Appeal View Post
    I generally disregard anything Dr. "Quack" Oz says as junk science. He's always pushing one "miracle" weight loss product or another.
    I don't watch Dr. Oz, so I don't know whether or not he's a quack, but I can tell you this from my own experience. I have struggled with weight my entire life, and I am probably going to be fighting weight gain until the day I die. I've gone up, and down, and I even took a large amount of weight off once before and kept it off for 20 years. This last time I lost weight was the largest amount I ever had to lose and I fully intend never having to do it again.

I have tried every weight reduction plan out there, I think. Not that one that requires you to get the shots of something, however, HCL maybe? You can lose weight with a lot of them. The trouble is that you are not learning how to eat correctly. So, when you quit the program, you are right back in the same boat. Weight Watchers is probably the best program, because it does teach you how to eat. I'm cheap, and really didn't like paying all that cash out for something I could do for myself, so that eventually failed for me.

The two times I have lost weight and kept it off, I have counted calories. The first time, I lost 50 pounds. I was in my 20's and I did it all wrong. I basically starved myself. It worked, and I kept the weight off, but I did some nerve damage from the lack of nutrition that took years to resolve.

This second time, I followed all the rules. I didn't go under 1200 calories a day, and I made sure that I was paying attention to my nutritional values. I think I did a much better job. The weight actually came off faster than all those years ago, because I wasn't fighting my body all the time. It didn't go into starvation mode and try and conserve every single calorie I was consuming. I went to the doctor every two months and had blood work and a physical exam done, just to make sure that things were going along OK on the inside.

There are, in the end, no short cuts. You just have to put in the work. And, you have to learn how to eat and, especially, how to eat that works best for you. I break a couple of rules. You're supposed to eat heaviest early in the day and then only eat lightly at night, for instance. It makes sense to do it that way, because then your body has the time to burn off those calories during the day. It doesn't work for me. I have, my entire life, never been hungry in the morning. And, I get ravenous at night. I tried doing it the right way, and I was in misery. So, I save calories to eat late in the day. That way, I'm satisfied in the evening (my weakest time) and don't go hunting for the unhealthy snacks. Breaking the rules, yes. Working for me, yes again.

I'm writing books here, and I really don't want to sound like I'm bragging. I just want to help, if I can. If, after Off Topic closes, you want to talk about it, feel free to PM me. I'll be glad to help, if I can. Even if it's just an encouraging "you can do it" comment.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm in the need-to-lose-weight camp. How many of you have done it while cooking for a family? That's part of my downfall -- I'm cooking for two teenaged boys, my husband and younger son. They eat A LOT and also don't go for salads/paleo food. Any suggestions for me??

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    I'm in the need-to-lose-weight camp. How many of you have done it while cooking for a family? That's part of my downfall -- I'm cooking for two teenaged boys, my husband and younger son. They eat A LOT and also don't go for salads/paleo food. Any suggestions for me??
    Maybe you all need to tell me to shut up. But, I do have a suggestion or two for you. For you, it's going to be all about portion control. Cook for your family, then carefully measure out what you are going to eat and stick to it for that meal. One of the best ways is to put your food on a lunch plate, not on the larger dinner plate. That way, it looks like you have more because it fills the plate better. You're probably also going to need a food scale of some kind, because, in my experience at least, judgement of what is a certain number of ounces is deceiving. My idea of three ounces is considerably more than what the scale tells me is three ounces.

I know that Calorie Count has a place where you can plug in your recipe and it will tell you the calories and the nutritional values. Maybe other sites do, too. It's a pain in the neck, frankly, when you are first starting out to have to do that, but it really helps, and, as you get more recipes entered, you can just go back to them and plug one serving into your daily log.

Wow! Congrats to every single person on here who has had weight-loss success, and best of luck to those who are in the process or about to start. You can do it!

I've had some yo-yoing, but thankfully not catastrophic. At 5' 7", I used to be about 125 in high school. But the healthiest I ever was was when I trained couch to 5k while riding and mucking stalls consistently, too. I was about 135 at that time, but so toned and lithe-looking. I want to be there again!

Since then, I started back to college (as a full-time working adult) and had to move my horses over an hour away from me. So, barely any time to be active. I was running for a while, but I was running outside because I don't feel a gym membership is worth it when I don't have the time to go often. Now, with Winter in full swing, the running has stopped and I'm sitting at 150ish.

Good news is, I'll be finished with school mid-January and have more time to be active! Plus, I got engaged a couple of months ago so - what better motivation than to want to look stunning in my wedding gown! In the meantime, I am starting to eat a little better and eat less at each meal. Here goes nothing...
    Last edited by ClassyRide; Nov. 27, 2012 at 09:27 AM.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm starting. Been overweight for years now; the other times I've lost weight have been the wrong way, starvation and manic exercise, and I just can't do that at almost-61. But I'm tired of being tired and not being able to move. And one of my horses is starting to do some nice work, I have to help him out more.

I wonder if we could persuade the Mods to move this to Off Course. Losing weight IS horse-related, and it helps to have a support group.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.