The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anyone else had some weight loss success?

So, I've been a size 14 for the last 10 years of my life (when I got pregnant).
    http://http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...yphoto2010.jpg
    (That's me in the blue dress on the left)
    I finally decided I'd had enough! Started small, with Couch to 5K. I HATE running, but by gosh, I ran my first 5K on Labor Day and didn't walk a single step!
    http://http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...att/9-1-12.jpg
    That's me on the right

I've made relatively small changes to my diet, cutting out ALL fast food hamburgers. I haven't had one since July. In fact, I just had chicken fingers for the first time since July and promptly went out and ran 4 miles to work them off! I've switched to drinking water 98% of the time, and if I "do" the soda thing, I drink approx 8 oz of it (if that much). I eat a LOT more fresh fruit, I weigh out ALL my food to make sure I'm eating the correct serving size, and I eat dinner by 7:30 at night. I don't eat bread but maybe once a week, and I eat veggies instead of potato chips now. So yeah, small changes I can live with for the rest of my life!

Right after the 5K, I began the Insanity workout program. I did that hardcore for the entire thing, and lost 2 solid pant sizes, 3 in a dress. No idea how much weight I've lost (haven't stood on a scale), but I'm a comfortable size 10 in jeans now. SO HAPPY! I look so much better and actually feel sexy again, I'm just glad I FINALLY did it after sitting on the couch and wishing I could do it. I've kept a blog with before/after monthly pics in a sports bra and shorts. That initial "before" pic was HARD to put out there in cyberspace, but now I'm proud of what I see. I have a little black dress in a size 8 that I wore proudly to my friend's wedding.
    http://http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...t/11-10-12.jpg

I think my horse appreciates the weight loss too!
    http://http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...awyatt/sf2.jpg
    Before

http://http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...t/IMG_0241.jpg
    After

Anyone else? I plan to weigh in at my yearly ob/gyn appointment in Feb, since that was the LAST time I stood on a scale.

And Oh! Here's the weight loss blog. www.yourenotgettingyounger.blogspot.com

4 members found this post helpful.

Good for you!! I'm in a similar situation. I'm a size 16 (oh that's depressing in print) but just cant find the motivation to really get active. I walk around all day at work, plus do the barn, horses and cats. After that, I just want to sit!

What gave you the motivation? And how did you keep the motivation?!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

1 members found this post helpful.

Major congrats to you! I've been trying to drop weight for what seems like forever now, but I have PCOS, and it's been such a sloooooow process. What did you think of the Insanity workout?
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post
    Good for you!! I'm in a similar situation. I'm a size 16 (oh that's depressing in print) but just cant find the motivation to really get active. I walk around all day at work, plus do the barn, horses and cats. After that, I just want to sit!

What gave you the motivation? And how did you keep the motivation?!
    Alicat, that's exactly why it took me 10 years to drop the weight. As a teen, I was a comfortable size 8, and after my wedding that increased to a 10 where I stayed until I got pregnant. I clean 12 stalls 5 days a week, ride my horse 3-5 days a week, and teach lessons 4 days a week. I did NOT feel like working out. My initial motivation was to try and eat better. Cut out the soda, get on the water thing and the Couch to 5K is only 3 days a week. I dropped a good bit of weight just doing that. My continuing motivation is how I LOOK in a pair of jeans now! I'm so happy that walking into the grocery store that reflection isn't round and fat that I want to stay where I am!! At the end of the day, you just have to MAKE yourself do it until it becomes a habit. Good luck! I had a few pairs of pants in a size 16 too, so I know how you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    Major congrats to you! I've been trying to drop weight for what seems like forever now, but I have PCOS, and it's been such a sloooooow process. What did you think of the Insanity workout?
    Thank you! I LOVE Insanity. ShaunT is hot to look at, he's motivating without being annoying, and I'm DRIPPING with sweat by the end of the 9 minute warm up. For me to lose weight since I'm pretty active every day, I had to SWEAT and semi-kill myself. Insanity DOES that. I've done the 60 day program, I'm taking a 4 week break to run again (didn't run while I was doing the videos), then I'll do the 60 days again. I don't feel the need to LOSE more weight (I think I can maintain here, but I'm afraid I may gain and lose my motivation if I try and lose too much, if that makes sense), but I would like to tone up some more, and the Insanity WILL do that. So I definitely recommend it. It's hard! And it's a 6 day, min 40 min commitment per day, but the results are worth it. Good luck if you try it!

Major props on your success and your maintenance plan. I started my journey on April 1, 2009. I despised the size 16 (almost 18) woman that stared back at me. I started P90X that day.

Since then I've dropped 30 pounds and somewhere in the size 10/12 pant range. I did 3 ninety day rounds of P90x and followed it with 60 days of Insanity. I liked both programs (loved the results), but knew that for the long.haul, I would have to find something that suited me better.

Since then I've found my go to strength workout, which is ChaLean Extreme. I also love Turbo Fire for cardio, but after doing Couch to 5k last year, my cardio has been running. I've run 3 half marathons since and am signed up for a full marathon in March. The marathon training doesn't really leave me time for lifting weights, though. I miss it and although I'm running 20+ miles per week, I find it harder to keep the weight where I want it. When I lift weights.3 days/week, management is much easier.

For me, my motivation is looking back at my day#1 photo.from 2009. I look so miserable in it. I'm grimacing, my.posture is stooped....I look so uncomfortable in my own skin. I don't want to be that girl again.

By the way....while I didn't love Insanity, the next program that Shaun T created, The Asylum, is awesome! I might restart that one after I finish my marathon in March.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

I lost 30lbs in 4 months with weight watchers over 2 years ago. I went from 150lbs down to 119. I have gained back 5lbs and hover at around 125lbs, but I was getting "skinny" under 120lbs (I am 5'6"). I went from an 8-10 to a size 4.

Personally I did not change my activity nor start working out, I simply stopped eating so much. It really is about eating healthy and not eating too much, plain and simple. Working out helps with toning your body and with your cardiovascular health, but it really doesn't burn enough calories to cause that much weight loss. You just have to eat good foods and less of it.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

I lost almost 20 pounds a couple years ago but have been hovering in the same 5 pound range for the last 8 months. Decided I needed the extra motivation so I put my wallet where my mouth shouldn't be and signed up for the Advocare 24 day challenge. Lost the 5 pounds in about 10 days. Still have another 10 days of the challenge to go. It's helping me focus and build the habits I need to build. It is, however, $$$. But I feel good and hopefully I can maintain the habits without the $ when it's over.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I've lost 9 pounds in three months using MyFitnessPal on my iPad. I count calories, nutrition, and exercise. I don't have a weight loss goal, but instead am trying to maintain my intake/outtake. I am assuming that when I stop losing weight, I will have reached my ideal weight.

2 members found this post helpful.

OP, i read your blog, great work!! You look awesome, too!! I could relate to a lot of what you were saying- about having to be REALLY ready to make the change for it to happen.

I haven't added any increase in physical activity, and i know i should. I've been going to yoga more regularly, and find the class challenging but do-able. I tried a harder level class ('power' flow instead of regular flow) but my hips were hurting too much for a few days after that. I have really 'angry' joints that hurt almost every day. (Glucosamine helps! but i have to take it religiously.) I'm 27 but how much i hurt after that power flow class has me really nervous about trying it again! I'd also like to take a hot yoga class, but where I go those are all also power flow... something i need to work up to!

I've been really trying to become more conscious of my eating habits in the last month or so. Last year I put on weight over the holidays, and one day as i was griping and fussing over my weight, MrB said, "Oh it's just holiday weight, honey." Well he was being a dear, but IT WAS ALREADY AUGUST!! I think carrying that weight for 8 months makes it no longer 'holiday weight' and just 'weight gain, full stop.'

So I've mainly been trying to eat less food, and make smarter decisions. I didn't have the guts to take a before photo, and i don't think i have made a difference in looks yet. But i do know i FEEL so much better and have better energy throughout the day. I feel better *about myself* too, which is a big improvement. I've cut out fast food with the exception of zaxby's one day last week, and I felt so sluggish and over-full after that it taught me a lesson about fast food cravings! I've also noticed that, like you said OP in your blog, that sweet things taste MUCH sweeter now. I had a sip of MrB's coke the other evening and was astonished at how sugary it tasted. And it's also true that having sugar really makes me WANT more sugar, too.
    I mentioned it in another thread from last ot day i think, but the biggest challenge for me with my eating habits is eating slowly, and not immediately grabbing a dessert or something sweet to finish off my meal. I don't need it! But it's actually quite horrible- the feeling i have for the first ten minutes after i eat. I feel like a junkie desperate for her fix of sweet food. i HATE how i feel then, but knowing that the feelings of desperation will fade in ten minutes makes me ok. I just had to trust myself those first several meals.
    I also have to ask myself if i am genuinely hungry or just bored, or kinda vaguely bummed/anxious. Those feelings make me eat. But sometimes it's also just a matter of being thirsty, which i mistake for hunger!!

Of course, all that went somewhere in a handbasket when i went out to the movies today without eating a proper lunch beforehand (too rushed). I feel like i guzzled a vat of grease.... So miserable, even 6 hours later. WHAT was i thinking!

forcing myself to drink 32 ounces of water tonight, feels like i need to flush out all the grossness! 16 ounces down.......
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

2 members found this post helpful.

I went from a size 12/14 to a size 6/8 beginning about 15 years ago. I think the motivating factor for me was moving from Philly to San Diego! I basically started eating better, cut out the junk and fried food. For me it was all about my mindset and making it a lifestyle change. Before I had done a bunch of yo-yo-ing, but once I finally decided I wanted to lose the weight more than I wanted the french fries, it wasn't that hard. I didn't really start working out until I lost 10-15 lbs. I started out doing step aerobics at home, added in some running (which I hate), and eventually started going to the gym 6 days a week. I don't work out any more (outside of riding and barn work--I keep my horses at home) but really don't have much trouble maintaining my weight just by eating sensibly.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Not me but a dear friend on this bb has lost 80 lbs since the beginning of the year. She looks fabulous too. I'm hoping she sees this thread and chimes in.

For those of you that have lost, congratulations.

If I could eliminate chocolate from my diet and ice cream in the summer, I'd probably loose the 20 lbs I'd like to drop but I just don't have the will power yet. What I probably need to do is to stand naked in front of a full length mirror holding a full length mirror so I can see how awful I do look. Might be just the incentive I need.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Congrats to everyone that has lost weight! I've WANTED to ever since giving birth, but I justified it by saying stuff like, "I've got a husband and a kid, I don't need to kill myself to be 20 lbs lighter. Hubs likes me like I am." What has changed my outlook, really, is trying to simply EAT better. I used to be hooked on Little Debbies, salt and vinegar chips, Mountain Dew, and Dunkin Donuts. I also LOVE me some mint chocolate chip icecream, and would scoop out a big 'ol bowl full every night of the week. I can NOT become one of those people that eat ... NOTHING but natural, healthy food. My uneducated pallet does NOT like many healthy foods, but I'm trying to change. Haven't had ANYTHING other than water to drink at a restaurant. Eat mostly lean 6oz steak when we go out and rather than a loaded baked potato and fried apples, I have green beans and a sweet potato with a SMIDGE of butter. The ONLY fast food I have had (other than today) is Taco bell (where I get the 3 taco meal), Arbys (a regular sized roast beef sandwich that I eat "open face"), and Subway (just a 6" ham sandwich with no drink or chips. I get it with no cheese or mayo). At Taco Bell, I do get the mega huge large Mountain Dew that comes with the meal. I take sips of it while I'm eating my tacos, and then I literally pour the rest out of the window. Used to, I'd consume every single drop of that mega soda and think nothing of it. I doubt I'm even drinking 6oz. The cup still appears to be full when I pour it out. A kid brought me a McDonald's sweet tea the other day, and I could barely take 5 sips of it, it was SO sweet ... and I used to be a "the SWEETER the BETTER" kind of girl.

My boss is very health conscious, food wise, and she's encouraged me to dump the processed foods and eat more naturally. Tonight I had some (properly weighed out) low glycemic index angel hair pasta with 1 tbs of olive oil, some lemon juice, garlic salt, and 6 crushed up salad croutons. On the side, I sauteed half a squash and half a zuccini in some oilve oil with italian seasoning and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. It was SO good! I am STUFFED! So while not exactly spaghetti squash and lentils, it was pretty healthy. And natural. And pleasing to my taste buds!

I am the poster child to if I can do it, YOU can definitely do it! I love to be lazy, I work hard at work, and when I come home exercise is the last thing I want to do. I've just had to MAKE myself do it. A friend pinned this quote on Pinterest, "There's ALWAYS some out there busier than you and more sleepy than you working out. So go work out! Stop making excuses!"

Bits, thank you for your kind words! When I began my blog, I didn't even share the link for awhile. The WORST thing would have been that I posted those horrible fat roll pictures, and month after month ... no change. Or worse, that I just abandoned the blog. But fortunately, I've been able to kick my own butt, I've helped some of my friends want to get fit themselves, and I've made my horse's job easier. Yee Ha!!

Yep. I've become addicted to running. I run 5-6 miles per day. 4 on a busy day. Two weeks ago I got lost on my trail and ended up running 10.71 in two hours trying to find my way back. I look a lot firmer and actually am quite happy with the results with my body. I wear a 4-6 ( keep in mind that's a current size 4-6. About 10 years ago that would mean size 8). But lost weight. Nope , I've gained about 5. On a good day I'm 148. On a bad one around 152. Go figure. I don't eat crap and drink unsweetened tea and water.

Thanks, msj! I'm the friend that she is talking about. My weight loss is now at 90 pounds, since January. My latest milestone was finally hitting a "healthy" BMI. I want to lose five more pounds, just to give myself a safety margin, but I have increased my calories to almost maintenance, and will be happy to lose that last weight over a very long time.

I'm a stress eater, and I hate exercise. The key to me was learning to control what I ate. I joined the "Calorie Count" site and have really benefited from it. It has all of the tools that you need, except your own will power. That you have to supply yourself. The site not only gives you calories for just about every imaginable food, but also charts your nutritional values, so that you can make sure that you are not only counting calories, but eating healthily. It has exercise programs, if you are so inclined, and plenty of ways to connect with others going through the same thing, if you are the kind who needs that support.

I work at this. I have to. I map every single bit of food that I eat. I spend time each day planning my menu for the day and then I see to it that I stick to that menu. Knowing what I can eat for the day is what helps me the most because, when I stress, I know what I have left to eat, and for whatever reason, that helps me avoid shoveling down a quart of ice cream or a whole bag of potato chips (which I no longer have in the house, anyways.)

I know that the changes that I have made are going to be permanent. I have found healthful substitutes that I enjoy. Why, for instance, did no one ever tell me that a Spiru-tein protein shake made with unsweetened vanilla almond milk is around 135 calories and tastes like a milk shake? It's been work, and I'm still making small changes to my diet to make my eating habits even better. But, the rewards are definitely there.

I was a size 3X. I am now a size 14. I wanted to get to a size 12 (I'm a large boned 5' 7"), but I don't think I'm going to make that because of all the excess skin I have. I'm pushing 65 and not very vain about myself, so I probably won't do the plastic surgery that would be necessary to get rid of most of that, though, the turkey wattles under my chin are driving me nuts and I may, eventually, make them disappear.

But, I did this for my health, not my looks. I got tired of being tired, and of not being able to do the things I wanted to do. I want to learn to kayak. I couldn't before, because my knees were so bad from carrying all that extra weight that I couldn't get in or out of the boat. Now, minus that weight, my knees don't hurt nearly as much, though there are arthritic changes, of course. Maybe, next Spring, I'll be able to see if I can now get in and out of a kayak, without tipping it, or me, over.

If you undertake the journey to lose a large amount of weight, you're in for some struggles. But, the end results are so worth it.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

10 members found this post helpful.

I'm a walking testament that you should get blood work done to be darn sure there isn't some medical reason inhibiting weight loss. Some thyroid issues snuck up on me while living out of the States and I put on like 40 lbs in 2 years without really being all that aware of it. Thanksgiving was kind of my 1 year anniversary for getting my shit together - I got meds sorted out, eat better food and less of it, and work out regularly. Thanksgiving 2011 to 2012...55 lbs lost. What a day to get on the scale!

I'm the same size I was when I was a senior in high school, and still slowly dropping weight. I'm on kind of a half-assed workout schedule at the moment, but I'm certainly not getting burned out! I do weights twice a week, spin once a week, and have 4 riding lessons a week. Very sustainable for me.

Only downside is absolutely none of my clothes fit, even ones from like 6 months ago. And breeches are really expensive! My feet shrunk some, my riding helmet got looser, the collars on my show shirts got much looser...and I lost any boobs I had.

Point of my spiel? Just make sure there isn't something wonky going on before you get super discouraged if you aren't successful with your weight loss endeavors.

I lost 15 pounds two years ago by cutting sweets out of my diet. I didn't read labels and worry about hidden sugars, just stopped eating cookies/candy/ice cream. It was hard at first, but the weight came off with no other changes to my diet. If I craved a cookie I'd have a piece of toast instead. I just couldn't give up bread, but still got the results I wanted.

It took about 4 months.

Congratulations to the OP and Louise and everyone who has lost the weight.
    Louise, I have been following your weight loss on FB too, and you know I admire you tremendously for what you have done! WELL DONE!!

I have gained about 60lbs over the last 20 years, it was fairly gradual, but now I am horrified at myself.
    At one time I actually was a lingerie model. But now I find it hard to believe or remember that I actually once looked good, or felt confident, naked.

When I go to my exercise class and see my reflection in the full length mirror, I am horrified and even more depressed. And yet, I can't seem to find the motivation to actually change.

Part of the problem I think is that I am not a junk food or fast food eater, and never have been.
    I have never eaten at McDonalds. (in fact I went through the drive through to get a latte a couple of weeks ago, and told the clerk this was my first time at McD and they all came to the window to look at me... )
    I never drink pop (soda), almost never eat chips etc... we tend to eat a lot of vegetables and 'healthy food'.. but a lot of that is also pasta and other carbs.
    But I do overeat on a consistent basis. I have always been a HUGE eater, but when I was young my metabolism kept the weight off.
    And I do tend to eat emotionally - if I am angry, upset, anxious, depressed...

I have decided that this is something I can't seem to do on my own, and I think I need to join some kind of program or gym with a personal trainer.
    At the same time, I have a hard time getting past the shame I feel.

At 61 yrs old it is a health issue as well as a vanity one. I know my looks are pretty much gone, but I need to do what I can before it is too late...

I'm 60. I bought my horse in 2009 and I've lost about 30 pounds since then. I am basically a Weight Watchers person, but I don't follow it super strictly. What's been more important is to learn to stop eating when I am full, cut out the sweets, and ride every day I can for exercise. I also bicycle on my days off riding. Oh, and I did have my thyroid checked and needed to start taking meds for that too.

I stay motivated by trying to improve my look on horseback. After Christmas I am going to start the push to lose 20 more, at least. I need a new dressage coat and by dog, I am going to get one and it's going to look good this time!

My favorite book to help with this journey is titled "Intuitive Eating". I am also a big fan of the Volumetrics style of cooking - super healthy food that tastes really good and is really satisfying.

ETA special message for Fred: Take one positive step, no matter how small, for one day. Then do it again the next day. Find a non food reward and make sure you award it to yourself. I think you'll see that the shame starts to melt away as soon as you feel you are doing something. Be kind to yourself! (and read Intuitive Eating, it'll help with the emotional part of this...) Hugs!

Good luck to those of you contemplating the journey and big CONGRATS! to everyone who's had such excellent success! We can do it!!!!

I'm 6' and carry weight well, so I let it creep in on me over a few years while managing to fool myself quite successfully, LOL. There was moving, job stress, a period of several months where I had to eat from a cafereria daily...it all just kinda piled up.

I got serious early in 2011 and lost 40 lbs by the end of the year through calorie counting on a free tracking website - I really got into it, even bought a food scale to educate myself on portion sizes and found out my previous efforts to estimate were, uhhh, largely inconsistent with reality. I also restarted running, which I like ok as long as it's short distances, around 5 km. Definitely not a distance-person

I then got into weight lifting and am continuing that, along with running. Right now I've actually been eating at slightly above maintenance for several months, with the goal of building muscle. I also started cooking much more at home, so I could control what went into my meals. I'm basically very close to my HS weight now, but I like the way I look so much better - weight lifting is really great for me.