The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    Duck Dynasty is well done. I just have a hard time watching reality TV because we all know its staged
    Yeah, it is staged. But Duck Dynasty is as good staged, maybe better, than most sitcoms these days.

Amazingly, I've never seen any of these shows (I've also never played a video game...not even Pacman). No where to plug one in while riding.

Also, never seen any of the Idol shows, Lost, Survivor or any of the other crap shows.

For a guilty pleasure, I like to watch "Maury" to see the skanks run away when they hear, "You are not the father" to the 20th guy tested.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

2 members found this post helpful.

I kinda like Honey Boo Boo, the show is cute. Yeah, yeah, the family is REALLY trashy, pagents aren't what I imagine modern women doing, blah blah.

BUT, they all seem to care about each other and the kids are loved. Honestly, one of the more normal families on TV IMO.

My guilty pleasure is Real Housewives of NJ. That's some crazy $hit. Every time I watch that show (like watching a car accident- can't look away) I thank my higher power that I'm not them. lol.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't have cable, even basic cable with the 1st 5 channels or whatever, but some of these shows were on when I had cable three years ago and I was not a fan. To each their own and honestly they have to be somewhat popular to be on the air, but I would rather curl up with a book all day/night long.

The book doesn't have to be some great work, but a nice plot and story line is all I need.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

We watch some of them without shame. I absolutely love Duck Dynasty. It makes me happy, happy, happy. Yes, I'm sure it's largely setup, but they're funny and they're clean. Did I mention they make me laugh? Them boys is funny! Especially Jace & Si. But then again, I love me a redneck.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    ...And that "Hardcore Pawn", which I do not watch, is a far more realistic depiction of the kind of bottom-feeders you'd normally find coming to pawn things, though of course that's on "TrueTV," or whtaever that channel's called, and it's filmed in Detroit so what do you expect..
    When I'm missing the Motor City area, either a few minutes of this or the Detroit portions of "Parking Wars" takes me right back.

I find trash tv to be good background noise when I'm cutting fabric and sewing.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Quote Originally Posted by La Gringa View Post
    Does the rest of the world really thing this is what the entire USA is like? LOL It seems it is all that is on TV! I find myself watching the chaos laughs on Storage Wars and the like.

Monsters Inside Me, go Hog Hunting, with Honey Boo Boo, with Hoarders on the Jersey Shore.. (or what was the Jersey Shore).

What is wrong with us? LOL
    Well if they didn't think we were bad before from those fine tv offerings, I think when "Double Divas" hits the Lifetime network that might give us some serious street cred.

But I'll admit - I sometimes watch Honey Boo-Boo *ducks*
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    We watch some of them without shame. I absolutely love Duck Dynasty. It makes me happy, happy, happy. Yes, I'm sure it's largely setup, but they're funny and they're clean. Did I mention they make me laugh? Them boys is funny! Especially Jace & Si. But then again, I love me a redneck.
    "Like"

Yep, happy, happy, happy! And I get the feeling that even though the show is largely staged, that these guys are fun in real life too. And good people.

I blame the Japanese and the karaoke machine which made everybody is a star... in their own mind.

"empty" "orchestra" is the meaning root words that form karaoke which pretty much sums that deal up

Quote Originally Posted by 1sock View Post
    The only show I watch of those mentioned above is Hardcore Pawn. Though it blows my mind how many people come in with something cheap or worthless and get all riled up and tell the pawnbrokers "You WILL give me $500 for this. I am not LEAVING until you give me $500 for this!".

Really??? You think you can go around and DEMAND pawn shops buy something from you? And don't most people know if you want full "value" for an item you don't sell it at a pawn shop?
    Why does it blow your mind? Surely you realize that's all for Teevee. If the people just went, "oh ok, I'll take that price" there wouldn't be a show.

I don't watch any of the shows mentioned, but I sometimes watch the restaurant-related reality shows, and I assume many of those "horrors" like the awful staff behavior are just as staged.

Default I prefer Antiques Road show to any 'Pawn' show..

But I've come to appreciate Duck Dynasty and Chasing Classic Cars..

I don't watch any of the "reality" shows. Toddlers and tiaras? No. Just no. Doomsday Preppers, that one scared me. Crazies with guns in every room????? I do watch The Walking Dead and Alphas on SciFy, wish I had started watching Haven on SciFy but only caught a few episodes. I like Nature and (I think) Alaska Troopers.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Why does it blow your mind? Surely you realize that's all for Teevee. If the people just went, "oh ok, I'll take that price" there wouldn't be a show.

I don't watch any of the shows mentioned, but I sometimes watch the restaurant-related reality shows, and I assume many of those "horrors" like the awful staff behavior are just as staged.
    I know that much if not most of the stuff on reality shows is staged, but many of the rude customers don't "seem" staged on Hardcore Pawn, so maybe thats what gets me. Or maybe I'm just extra gullible when I watch that show?
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

Thought I was up on what reality shows are out there but guess I'm not. A lot of these I've never heard of.

I know there's so many because they're much cheaper to make than "regular" shows.

Also why so many disgusting people are big hits: it's the Costanza Syndrome

People watch these shows and can look down on the reprehensible behavior. "At least I'm not that bad." And it makes people feel better about themselves (both consciously and subconsciously) when they see how awful other people are and that they're superior to them. (I'm not a psychologist but I play one IRL).

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    People watch these shows and can look down on the reprehensible behavior. "At least I'm not that bad." And it makes people feel better about themselves (both consciously and subconsciously) when they see how awful other people are and that they're superior to them. (I'm not a psychologist but I play one IRL).
    I always said that Jerry Springer was amazing therapy for a bad day... for exactly this reason. Have a bad day, watch Springer and suddenly realize my life isn't so hateful afterall.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

"Reality" shows are slot-fillers that are cheap and easy to produce, just what the industry needs in these days of falling viewership and skyrocketing production costs. They keep the couch-potato crowd occupied.

If I want reality, I watch the hunting and fishing shows on the Sportsman, Pursuit, and NBC Sports Channels.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I have a coworker who is OBSESSED with "Duck Dynasty"...I mean, really, his favorite show, will talk for hours. Honestly, I can see that better than, say, most TV dramas--that's another thing, there are so few of those that are any good any more. I watch NCIS, and Castle (sometimes), and that's about it.

Sideline to those: What about "Moonshiners", or "Drugs Inc" keeps people featured on it out of jail? They're both basically "Shows about people committing federal felonies". We had conversation at work the other night trying to figure that one out (it's food-service so we even have people with first-hand experience with the drug laws. That's pretty normal, BTW.) How do you get FILMED, and broadcast on TV, with things like "And THIS is how I run ten kilos of heroin over the Mexican border" and the feds don't immediately subpoena everyone involved in filming it to get evidence? Moonshiners they even have the law-enforcement people on there (I am told; my coworkers watch it, I don't), and part of the plot is "hunting down the still". It's a CRIME and they're filming it. It's not like the crew with the moonshiners is unaware where the crew with the police are.

If you want to find out what's going on about a subject the Mainstream Media is trying to cover up, watch The Military Channel on Tuesday evening starting at 8:00 PM Eastern for their special regarding the continuing drug war along our Southern border with Mexico.

Very eye-opening.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Apparently a lot is wrong with us - at least as far as media entertainment goes.

I frankly cannot even remotely fathom the mentality that finds all of these "reality shows" entertaining. And unfortunately it must be a large amount of the populace; otherwise these shows wouldn't be expanding exponentially on what seems to be a daily basis.
    THIS.

I simply don't get the appeal. Maybe it's my southern roots showing, but I saw enough white trash growing up, I don't need to see it on TV.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

3 members found this post helpful.

Well the Military channel is pretty good in general, it reminds me of what the old, real Biography show was like (you know, the one that would do biographies on Roosevelt, Churchill, Rockefeller etc).
    I raise you one Frank, every listen to the JohnBatchelorShow ? Or download his podcasts (free). He has very interesting correspondents everywhere. His blog is not good or indicative of the quality of the interviews.