The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 55 of 55
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Aug. 6, 2002
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    2,121

    Default

    Watching "Hoarders" has actually helped me, I think - there but for the grace of god go I, kind of help. My house has never been so organized! Only have 1 room left that could be on the show (when it started I had 2 or 3 and the basement that could have been candidates!) So there may be some good coming from these things, in turning a spotlight on our worst habits...

    On Honey Boo Boo, I had to watch it to see what the jokes were about - I was ready to criticize but ended up feeling like it wouldn't be the worst bad family to belong too, there is an air of caring & togetherness that I don't see in many families these days (definitely not my own, sniff). But I think the original pull was because the little star, Honey BB is not your typical beauty contestant, plump & a bit coarse - but because of her sass beat the more classic beauties anyway! Plus she behaves better than the screaming spoiled pretty brats on T&T.

    Like another poster said, my job is so intense & requires every brain cell I possess on full concentration all day, at night I relish the chance to be entertained without having to actually think I consider it junk food for my brain - hey sometimes we need that donut or chocolate bar, right? On weekends I relax & watch more intellectual, classic movie type stuff.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Dec. 29, 1999
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA USA
    Posts
    5,428

    Default

    I watched HBB the other night and admit I absolutely had to turn it off when they were playing this game where they blindfolded a family member, then breathed in their face. A moment of this I could take but it got too weird for my stomach.

    However, they did have a birthday party for the little girl and in it (was channel surfing so if there were obnoxious parts to that I missed them)...anyway, there was a b-day party and Alanna (HBB's name) had all her presents and was going to open them, all the kids were standing there to watch, and she said, "Before I open my presents I want to thank you all for coming to my party. It was a fun time." That might not be the exact quote, but you get the point. Compare that to the other brats on reality shows and I'd go for the X (whatever their name is) family.



  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan. 27, 2004
    Location
    Yonder, USA
    Posts
    2,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    Duck Dynasty is well done. I just have a hard time watching reality TV because we all know its staged
    I think only the people who also believe WWE is 'real wrasslin' don't know reality TV is staged. That said, of all the offerings, I think DD is the most entertaining (and reasonably realistic).



  4. #44
    Join Date
    May. 5, 2002
    Posts
    1,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadien View Post
    Like another poster said, my job is so intense & requires every brain cell I possess on full concentration all day, at night I relish the chance to be entertained without having to actually think I consider it junk food for my brain - hey sometimes we need that donut or chocolate bar, right? On weekends I relax & watch more intellectual, classic movie type stuff.
    No kidding. I don't really see the harm in most of these reality shows. I am not sure that they are any worse than some of the violent TV shows that are on. I don't have kids, but if I did, I think I would rather have them watching Duck Dynasty and Pawn Stars over a lot of stuff on TV. And really in the end, what difference does it make what people watch. One persons trash TV is another persons relaxing time. What someone watchs on TV doesn't make them any better or worse than the next person.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2008
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    3,686

    Default

    I must admit I like Say Yes to the Dress. I have no idea why.
    I haven't watched any of the "Real Housewives" I did watch the Kardashians once and wondered why. If I could have a cable channel, I'd like Animal Planet and TCM or ACM.

    Quote Originally Posted by ViewParadise View Post
    okay, I'll raise my hand and admit that I pretty much adore trash TV. I have a job, that I LOVE, but it's very draining and I deal with a ton of very real drama and trauma on a daily basis. I need an escape. I watch Pawn Stars (right at this minit actually!), Real Housewives (not all of them, but some), Long Island Medium (don't believe her sh*t for a minit, but again, it's an escape), Say Yes to the Dress and Sister Wives. Yes, my husband is disgusted and rightfully so.



  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan. 6, 2006
    Location
    Bonsall, CA
    Posts
    3,340

    Default

    Barcardi -

    My thoughts exactly and why I posted this. What is wrong with us and our media world? It's tabloids taken over everything. No wonder kids don't respect anyone anymore or care about anything that matters. Really.
    One of a Kind Studio
    Equestrian Art and Portraits
    Landscape Design
    Farm Layout and Design



  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jan. 6, 2006
    Location
    Bonsall, CA
    Posts
    3,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    I watched HBB the other night and admit I absolutely had to turn it off when they were playing this game where they blindfolded a family member, then breathed in their face. A moment of this I could take but it got too weird for my stomach.

    However, they did have a birthday party for the little girl and in it (was channel surfing so if there were obnoxious parts to that I missed them)...anyway, there was a b-day party and Alanna (HBB's name) had all her presents and was going to open them, all the kids were standing there to watch, and she said, "Before I open my presents I want to thank you all for coming to my party. It was a fun time." That might not be the exact quote, but you get the point. Compare that to the other brats on reality shows and I'd go for the X (whatever their name is) family.
    I had to stop watching HBB when they started talking about the crusty things growing in the neck creases of the mother! I am not kidding you. It's like shock TV, next they will show the outhouse out back with snakes hanging off the door... oh that might already be on Animal Planet... Swamp People or whatever it is now..
    One of a Kind Studio
    Equestrian Art and Portraits
    Landscape Design
    Farm Layout and Design



  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jan. 6, 2006
    Location
    Bonsall, CA
    Posts
    3,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BabyGoose View Post
    No kidding. I don't really see the harm in most of these reality shows. I am not sure that they are any worse than some of the violent TV shows that are on. I don't have kids, but if I did, I think I would rather have them watching Duck Dynasty and Pawn Stars over a lot of stuff on TV. And really in the end, what difference does it make what people watch. One persons trash TV is another persons relaxing time. What someone watchs on TV doesn't make them any better or worse than the next person.
    My problem is, its on everywhere every channel. Its Tabloid TV. It's gross. I don't care what people watch, I care that it is on TV period.

    It also gives a horrible impression of us as a nation. We are a bunch of morons living in swamps with Turtle Man running around (granted I do laugh my butt of at that show).

    I guess this is America. We are a bunch of fools. It's our culture I guess as a whole... but I don't consider it MY culture, and
    neither do the people I ride with or associate with, and I am not a snob. I ride western at a ghetto barn now. We thumb our noses at old family traditions and we are losing them steadily every year.

    It's taken Redneck USA and made it front page every day.. why do we want to glorify that and promote that sort of behavior? Ok off my soap box.
    One of a Kind Studio
    Equestrian Art and Portraits
    Landscape Design
    Farm Layout and Design



  9. #49
    Join Date
    Dec. 29, 1999
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA USA
    Posts
    5,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BabyGoose View Post
    I am not sure that they are any worse than some of the violent TV shows that are on.
    That's a good point. I don't watch all the CSI & SVU shows, but there are so many of them. All the CSI variations plus all the other murder investigation-type shows. UGH. They're so foul. Haven't checked them out in quite a long time but it's pretty much "rape the woman" tv. Rape, mutilation, and murder, often with kinky details. I hear people talking all the time "did you watch...?" "Yes! OMG!" Again, ugh. Now that BabyGoose said that, I'm thinking maybe that is one of the reasons so many are watching the Turtle Man (lol). They're surfeited with creepy rape shows and will take a toothless critter chaser over that stuff.



  10. #50
    Join Date
    May. 5, 2002
    Posts
    1,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by La Gringa View Post
    We thumb our noses at old family traditions and we are losing them steadily every year.

    It's taken Redneck USA and made it front page every day.. why do we want to glorify that and promote that sort of behavior? Ok off my soap box.
    But some of these reality shows are about old family traditions. Duck Dynasty is funny, and they show them doing some silly stuff. But at the end of every show they all sit around the table as a family, say a prayer, and talk about the important things in life, like family values and working for what you want in life. The family in DD started making duck calls in a shed behind the house. The kids made duck calls in the evening after school. They turned it into a multi million dollar business. They all have bachelor degrees except Uncle Si (he went to Vietnam instead). One of them even has a masters degree. They are not uneducated hicks and hardly a bunch of fools.

    I haven't watched Swamp People much and I don't think I saw any this season, but it is kind of the same thing. These people have been living and hunting in the swamps for generations. Very much old family traditions.

    Same with Deadliest Catch. That one hasn't been mentioned yet and it is one of my favorites too.

    There is also a newer show called Alaska Frontier or something like that. It involves a homesteading family that has been in Alaska for several generations and shows the family still living off the land. More depictions of working hard and family values.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    May. 5, 2002
    Posts
    1,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    That's a good point. I don't watch all the CSI & SVU shows, but there are so many of them. All the CSI variations plus all the other murder investigation-type shows. UGH. They're so foul. Haven't checked them out in quite a long time but it's pretty much "rape the woman" tv. Rape, mutilation, and murder, often with kinky details. I hear people talking all the time "did you watch...?" "Yes! OMG!" Again, ugh. Now that BabyGoose said that, I'm thinking maybe that is one of the reasons so many are watching the Turtle Man (lol). They're surfeited with creepy rape shows and will take a toothless critter chaser over that stuff.
    And often "ripped from the headlines". What does that tell you about our society. Not a nice portrayal of Americas there either!



  12. #52
    Join Date
    Jan. 6, 2006
    Location
    Bonsall, CA
    Posts
    3,340

    Default

    You do have some good points. It's just their culture down there. I guess since I didn't grow up in a swamp I am not used to it. I do laugh at the duck calls and the Turtle Man. I guess that is a lot better than the violent crime shows.

    It's a different world now.. granted. A good laugh is a good laugh. I find my self watching Pawn Stars and Storage Wars to laugh at the people selling junk for big cash.

    I like Deadliest Catch too. I think my biggest problem is Honey Boo Boo's mom's crusty neck. Really do we have to watch that? No, I turned it off.. nice thing is we do have choices.



    Quote Originally Posted by BabyGoose View Post
    But some of these reality shows are about old family traditions. Duck Dynasty is funny, and they show them doing some silly stuff. But at the end of every show they all sit around the table as a family, say a prayer, and talk about the important things in life, like family values and working for what you want in life. The family in DD started making duck calls in a shed behind the house. The kids made duck calls in the evening after school. They turned it into a multi million dollar business. They all have bachelor degrees except Uncle Si (he went to Vietnam instead). One of them even has a masters degree. They are not uneducated hicks and hardly a bunch of fools.

    I haven't watched Swamp People much and I don't think I saw any this season, but it is kind of the same thing. These people have been living and hunting in the swamps for generations. Very much old family traditions.

    Same with Deadliest Catch. That one hasn't been mentioned yet and it is one of my favorites too.

    There is also a newer show called Alaska Frontier or something like that. It involves a homesteading family that has been in Alaska for several generations and shows the family still living off the land. More depictions of working hard and family values.
    One of a Kind Studio
    Equestrian Art and Portraits
    Landscape Design
    Farm Layout and Design



  13. #53
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2009
    Posts
    5,094

    Default

    At least Dog The Bounty Hunter is gone.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Dec. 29, 1999
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA USA
    Posts
    5,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by La Gringa View Post
    It also gives a horrible impression of us as a nation. .....

    I guess this is America. We are a bunch of fools. It's our culture I guess as a whole..
    I respectfully suggest that this is an overreaction. Have you ever seen Japanese tv with those WEIRD game shows? Or Russian tv with naked newscasters? Or Benny Hill, my god, Benny Hill!

    America IS different cultures, different languages & dialects, and sure as heck different ways of living. But our tv isn't any more bizarre than that in other places. Except the Kardashians. Seriously, I tried watching. They're BORING. My god, who cares about their incredibly tacky houses, clothes, & lives? Unwatchable. Turtle Man with all his faults is much more fun than they are.



  15. #55
    Join Date
    Sep. 14, 1999
    Location
    Just Enough Farm, GA
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    One of things I really like about Duck Dynasty is that they personify good family values. The grandkids are very respectful - yes m'am, no sir, etc. They go to great lengths to instill an appreciation for hard work and for how their family is blessed. And then they all have FUN and don't take anything to seriously. I'm a big fan.

    I suspect that "reality" tv is here to stay. Way too many hours to fill on 150 channels of cable these days and reality tv is a cheap way to do it. We get to vote with our remotes - personally I say no to anything Real Housewive, Kardashian, Jersey Shore etc. Please join me!!! Please!!!
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb




Similar Threads

  1. Eat more honey!
    By Alagirl in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: Nov. 19, 2012, 04:44 PM
  2. Pawn Stars - Parade Saddles
    By Alagirl in forum Off Course
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: Feb. 15, 2011, 12:09 PM
  3. Does anybody else watch Pawn Stars?
    By Roxy SM in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Aug. 7, 2010, 08:12 AM
  4. Honey i'm Home!!
    By Cartfall in forum Driving
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jul. 27, 2009, 06:17 PM
  5. Opinions needed: Show Hunters vs. Field Hunters
    By LookinSouth in forum Hunting
    Replies: 156
    Last Post: Apr. 12, 2008, 09:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness