The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Moonshiners, Hog Hunters, Pawn Stars, and Honey Boo Boo

Does the rest of the world really thing this is what the entire USA is like? LOL It seems it is all that is on TV! I find myself watching the chaos laughs on Storage Wars and the like.

Monsters Inside Me, go Hog Hunting, with Honey Boo Boo, with Hoarders on the Jersey Shore.. (or what was the Jersey Shore).

What is wrong with us? LOL
    One of a Kind Studio
    Equestrian Art and Portraits
    Landscape Design
    Farm Layout and Design

1 members found this post helpful.

Apparently a lot is wrong with us - at least as far as media entertainment goes.

I frankly cannot even remotely fathom the mentality that finds all of these "reality shows" entertaining. And unfortunately it must be a large amount of the populace; otherwise these shows wouldn't be expanding exponentially on what seems to be a daily basis.

2 members found this post helpful.

I love Pawn Stars (and Cajun Pawn Stars) even accepting that I am SURE they screen the customers to find interesting objects. (And that "Hardcore Pawn", which I do not watch, is a far more realistic depiction of the kind of bottom-feeders you'd normally find coming to pawn things, though of course that's on "TrueTV," or whtaever that channel's called, and it's filmed in Detroit so what do you expect..) I think you kind of have to either be a serious artifact-based history buff and/or be in the trade yourself to appreciate those shows, American Restoration (which my old museum helped on when they did a Round Oak stove) and American Pickers. I will pretty much watch anything History, Discovery, H2, NatGeo, Science, and Travel opt to show me, though, so I'm not picky.

And apparently my brother's coworker is the aunt of one of the boys on "The Jersey Shore". If I meet said coworker, I'm not allowed to ask "So what is your nephew's malfunction?" At least not in so many words. I have never seen the show so I don't know which one, except it's not "The Situation" (whom I've only seen on DWTS, and I suspect if he weren't selling a brand, he wouldn't be THAT awful, but he is, therefore....)

Can someone explain Honey Boo Boo to me? Seriously. I've never seen the show but it's something like a spinoff with some kid from Toddlers and Tiaras? And they appear to be rednecks in the stereotypical sense of the word? I have no idea what the appeal is as the kid does not seem that...I mean, she's not UGLY, but she doesn't seem any more or less engaging than any of the other teeny pageant kids...

I guess if you can have a reality show and people will watch it, why not? My VET has a reality show, for cripe's sake. I guess I sort of get it, as it's an old-school practice you don't really see as much any more. But still, at this point, I suppose anything that's not what people in the major East and West Coast markets do themselves counts as 'interesting TV.'

Back in the day the Russians and Japanese thought we were all cowboys.

danceronice, is your vet Dr. Pol?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Back in the day the Russians and Japanese thought we were all cowboys.
    And now they know that as far as our tastes in media goes, we're not cowboys, we're morons.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGoose View Post
    Is that the vet that was recently disbarred or something like that for killing a dog due to negligence? And his show was cancelled because of it?

That'd be him. We've been using him since my first pony when I was 7. Her colt got mange (I have no idea how, I was 7) and that's the first time I remember him coming out. Sewed Old OTTB's forelock back on after we found out he REALLY hated having his ears trimmed (reared straight up and cut his head on a ceiling beam.) Heck, Lucky might make a guest shot, as we were filmed. Can't discuss, but it was basically a post-moving exam. Too bad they weren't around when I had to take Jet in (the cats come with when I'm at my parents for a week or more) after he got into something in the mud room he shouldn't have. Doc Pol is one of the only people who can hold down my behemoth kitty and get all the contents of an oral syringe down him. I end up wearing it. (Behemoth is 20lbs now and sort of like trying to medicate a non-sedated bobcat.)

The only show I watch of those mentioned above is Hardcore Pawn. Though it blows my mind how many people come in with something cheap or worthless and get all riled up and tell the pawnbrokers "You WILL give me $500 for this. I am not LEAVING until you give me $500 for this!".

Really??? You think you can go around and DEMAND pawn shops buy something from you? And don't most people know if you want full "value" for an item you don't sell it at a pawn shop?
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

Cool! I enjoyed watching the Dr. Pol episodes.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Duck Dynasty! That show is hysterical! Also like Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Storage Wars. American Hoggers is okay. Just started watching Auction Kings, and an episode or two of Shipping wars. I have watched a couple episodes of Honey Boo Boo, mainly because they were making fun of it on the morning radio show I listen to and I became curious. It is like watching a bad train wreck!

Historically it seems mankind has always had the taste for high drama. Take the Gladiators and the most popular violent plays by Shakespeare, for instance.

Better yet, the notifications thing added to the board.....because it posts a number next to it, you just HAVE to click on it to see if you were rated good or bad.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

The Pawn Stars (and other shows like it) are staged to a great extent. I had a friend in Vegas who had a Craigslist ad for something that caught a Pawn Stars producer's attention, and they contacted him to see if he'd agree to be on the show. So yes, they spend a lot of time searching CL and local eBay listings for stuff they think is cool. It definitely isn't people just in off the street with Great-Great Grandma's old butter churn. Now Hardcore Pawn? I'm sure some of those are definitely candid. (My friend did go to a taping, but they didn't use his segment).

It does irritate me that these shows have shoved almost all of the history off of History Channel and threatens H2 as well. And why, once one is successful, do there have to be 900 spinoffs? Do we really NEED a Storage Wars from every state in the nation?

I hope not, his license is suspended.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

This thread just reaffirms for me why I don't have TV. Vast wasteland.

I miss a couple of shows, but not enough to wade through all the crap that surround those shows.

Cool! I enjoyed watching the Dr. Pol episodes.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Duck Dynasty! That show is hysterical! Also like Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Storage Wars. American Hoggers is okay. Just started watching Auction Kings, and an episode or two of Shipping wars. I have watched a couple episodes of Honey Boo Boo, mainly because they were making fun of it on the morning radio show I listen to and I became curious. It is like watching a bad train wreck!
    One can only hope & pray that you do something more useful with the rest of your free time. . . .

We've often wondered if Rick and his son were actors on Pawn Stars. Both are very well spoken, especially when reading cue cards

Duck Dynasty is well done. I just have a hard time watching reality TV because we all know its staged

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    This thread just reaffirms for me why I don't have TV. Vast wasteland.

I miss a couple of shows, but not enough to wade through all the crap that surround those shows.
    Actually - if you have satellite, there's a lot of quality tv available besides the redneck reality crap. We pretty much have "Turner Classic Movies" on 24/7 (but then, we're serious classic movie fans). And I have to admit that I do love "Mad Men" on AMC. Other than a few cooking shows, the rest of it can go to hell in a hand basket.

okay, I'll raise my hand and admit that I pretty much adore trash TV. I have a job, that I LOVE, but it's very draining and I deal with a ton of very real drama and trauma on a daily basis. I need an escape. I watch Pawn Stars (right at this minit actually!), Real Housewives (not all of them, but some), Long Island Medium (don't believe her sh*t for a minit, but again, it's an escape), Say Yes to the Dress and Sister Wives. Yes, my husband is disgusted and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    One can only hope & pray that you do something more useful with the rest of your free time. . . .
    Rest assured Bacardi, my life is fine despite the fact that I choose to watch and enjoy a little TV, and despite the fact that you don't approve of my viewing choices. Sheesh....

10 members found this post helpful.