The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Root Canal

Who has had them. Just got one 1.5 weeks ago. It wasnt as bad as I thought it would be but it is still a little tender. Waiting on my permanent crown.
    Just curious what everyone elses experience is and how long it took to feel normal again

Had one a couple months ago. Also waiting on the permanent crown, hoping I can afford my part of the copay by my appt in Dec!

This last one was the worst yet - I've had 3 others that were no more troublesome than a filling, but this time I was in a lot of pain for almost a week. Just when I planned to go back, it started to ease up.

Good luck on your new crown. Getting dentist work is a pain, but better than the alternative - letting your teeth rot or fall out!

Honestly, I think they get a bad wrap. For the most part, my RC's have been pretty uneventful and not painful at all. There was one that was bad, but that was due to the fact that I have extra roots. Other than that...easy peasy. And once you've had the RC, the crown is a piece of cake!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

Had SIX 23 yrs ago (all due to a car accident), plus crowns and posts. One of them (my back molar #7) has just reflaired up after 23 yrs!! (abscesses are the worst pain!) It looks like there was a small canal missed when it was originally done and it has now decided to act up! Off to an Endodontist to get it redone and am hoping he can go threw the crown to fix or it will be thru the root tip! After all my original root canals it only took until I got the permanent crowns on to have them feel normal again (so about 2 weeks!) And, even then, it wasn't like they were painful, just "hollow" feeling! hahahahahaha
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Just had my first Root Canal. Heard all the horror stories and was really scared - B/P was so high they almost had to reschedule. Really was no problem! Took a little longer then getting a filing. Tender at first when the numbing wore off, but was fine before the permanent crown was put on.

The process- to deal with the bad tooth- use to take much longer in the dentist chair. The first one I had back in 1990 took quite awhile for the doc to dig around and do his thing. Fast forward to about 2005 and good golly, it took no more time than having a cavity filled. Seems like the addition of computers which show exactly where the issue is make it much faster for the doc. I've had one or two more since then and it's been no problem.

The temporary crowns feel a little wonky/fat but once you get the permanent crown on you should be good to go.

1 members found this post helpful.

The only thing bad about mine was the 900 dollar price tag!
    I get gas, and LOVE it! LOL
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I had one. I was dreading it, but honestly, it was no worse than a filling. The Vicodin they gave me made me horribly nauseous (I only ate basmati rice the first day or two after), but I never had pain. Getting the permanent crown put on was a breeze too. I was very pleasantly surprised!

Had one just over two weeks ago. My previous ones have been pretty straightforward, but the endodontist I was sent to this time didn't give me enough lidocaine, despite my telling him I wasn't numb enough when asked (I am pretty resistant to lidocaine), and had to keep stopping every couple of minutes to top me up. I was fine for the first few days afterwards, but was pretty sore on the fifth day - the following day I was okay again. I never needed to take any drugs though. My regular dentist is doing the actual crown work and he is great.

I've had many root canals, starting in childhood, and while I wouldn't call them fun or easy, they're endurable. Like everything in dentistry, they're as good or as bad as the dentist. I had one done by an endo, and that was WONDERFUL because the tooth had abscessed and I was in agony. Couple of minutes, one nerve less and I was ready to kiss the guy. Just remember that despite the hefty price tag, skipping or delaying the crown means you run the risk of losing the tooth - the root canal'ed tooth gets brittle because it's not really vital anymore, and it will fall apart on you eventually. And while most dental plans cover crowns to some extent, virtually none cover dental implants to replace lost teeth.