The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LOL chin hair support group anyone?

Ugh. I got mine at the ripe old age of 31. Just one so far, I'm hoping it doesn't invite any of its creepy little friends to hang out on my chin. I pluck.

I still remember the day I found it. LOL. Just horrified.

It's an age detector, kind of like how far you have to hold a book away from you to be able to read it.

I keep the tweezers in the car and use the mirror.

Hey, at least we're not men and pulling long gross hair out of our noses and ears.

5 members found this post helpful.

Well, have you noticed with the increased black, white or grey hairs on your chin and upper lip, that the hair on your legs has virtually vanished? Also the hair on your arms and 'pits' has diminished as well.

I go by the 'feel the suckers' method first, head to the bathroom mirror and grab the tweezers. Unfortunately some do get ingrown and with some I grab a bit too much skin. It's a losing battle.

I've heard others say electrolysis doesn't do squat so I'm not planning on wasting any money there, at least until I no longer have a horse. Can't afford both.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

3 members found this post helpful.

If you can afford the Rx, Vaniqa cream works very, very well

I'm 24 but split my chin open a few years ago landing face first in a jump. Ever since then I've gotten nasty black hairs growing out of it. I pluck them every week or so. I just wish they weren't BLACK. My hair is blonde. Blech
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I almost started this thread earlier today when I plucked TWO! out.

I am 36, they started at about 32 but were super rare, now they are more....common. And why do I go from baby bottom smooth to wicked witch hairs over night?

The tweezers and rear view mirror are also a good trick for your eye brows.
    Last edited by MunchingonHay; Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling

1 members found this post helpful.

My sister told me someone she knows has one that is 6 inches long and does nothing about it. They do grow very quickly, but still.

I pluck right by the window to get the benefit of the daylight.

Unfortunately I have greying chin and lip hairs but still have plentiful coarse black hair on my legs even though I'm past menopause. I guess I'll still be shaving my legs in the old folks home.

I of course have the requisite chin hairs, but I also have this weird rogue hair that grows out of my lower eyelashes. It's fine, like the hair on my head, blonde, and grows REALLY long. One time I let it grow to see how long it would get and finally pulled it out at about 2". It pulls out really easily, too - you would expect an "ouch" or something but it just tugs right out. It's like my cells are just misplaced for a head hair right there. Every so often I'll feel like there is something in my left eye so I'll know that "it's baaaack." AGH!

I keep a disposable razor in my car for the culprits. They always seem to show up in my rearview mirror. I am careful about backhanding the pink razor in case I am spotted...

I get black hairs growing on my ankles. It's really annoying since all the other hair on my arms and legs is blonde. It's weird.

Default Okay, so everyone is tweezing and electrocuting the little buggers

My paternal grandmother looked like a billy goat the day she died, so it is in the genes.

Have you tried waxing? That is a little longer lasting. I even had a friend who would candle her chin and facial hair. That is use a candle flame on a taper to singe the hair. I prefer the waxing.

Quote Originally Posted by marianne View Post
    My paternal grandmother looked like a billy goat the day she died, so it is in the genes.

Have you tried waxing? That is a little longer lasting. I even had a friend who would candle her chin and facial hair. That is use a candle flame on a taper to singe the hair. I prefer the waxing.
    I tried waxing but it wasn't terribly long lasting. I'm doing laser removal now, which is definitely slowing hair growth. It's going to take more than the recommended five sessions though :S
    Founder of the "I met a COTHer in a foreign country" clique!

I only get 1 or 2 at a time on my chin so really anything beyond plucking would be overkill. Unfortunately I get the same magically sprouting black hairs on a small area on my chest. I feel so very attractive.

I'm constantly rubbing my chin and my chest to make sure I don't have a "goat" hair some where.

My legs remain very fertile hair farms. I'm 46 so there is hope for that to diminish yet.

I guess I'll be picking up a pair of tweezers for my truck.... and a magnifying glass since I can't see a damn thing. (My close up vision went like a switch being flipped at 41.5, lol.)
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

So... Does arm/leg hair stop growing once you get older??? That'd be nice. I'd love those black ankle hairs to go away.

I am shocked and thrilled that I'm not the only one who keeps a pair of tweezers in my car for the purpose of yanking out a stray chin hair. Sometimes I feel obsessed and I'm SO glad I'm not alone!!
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

4 members found this post helpful.

Info about electrolysis, etc. very helpful. My mother was a redhead or blonde - never knew for sure. She is now 97, and has had plenty of chin and lip hairs for years, when she was always so feminine looking.

I have my father's coloring, light brown hair (right now highlighted blonde )turning darker, and darker, so am sure it will be black, with blacker yet still eyebrows and some grey at the temples by the time I'm in "the home".

The other day I ran into town just to go to the dump, and then stop at the hardware store for perimeter flags - the day before a hair and lip wax appointment. Had just come from the barn, looked like sh*t, and don't you know nice looking high school friend (male!) not seen for years just started a job at the hardware store. The whole time he was talking to me, he kept moving his finger across his lip. I'm thinking, "I'm getting my lip done tomorrow!!"
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I've had them since I was 25 thanks to PCOS. I'm currently getting electrolysis. I've been getting electrolysis for the past year. It will be a year in Jan anyway. I've been going once a flippin' week but now I can at least last two weeks. It's like torture every time. Fifteen minutes of expensive torture. It was my christmas present I asked for last year. Now I just feel guilty I asked for it having no idea it would end up taking so long.

It has gotten better. I definitely don't have anywhere near the amount of black hairs I used to get. I'd be constantly plucking and they would always get ingrown. Of course you can't pluck in-between electrolysis even when you really want to.

Here's a tip for plucking, back when I used to do it, flashlight. I have a plug-in flash light that has a flat back and can sit up so-to-speak. I also have a small decorative hanging mirror in the hall. I perch the flashlight on the lip of the mirror. Works perfectly.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Ah, the "joys" of aging....
    A friend calls them "misplaced eyelashes"
    I pluck, and am just grateful they are coming in gray = invisible for the most part.
    I started graying (head) in my mid-20s and have been silver since my late 30s.

Amen to the loss of leg & pit hair!
    Kinda makes up for the rest of the aging process.....almost.....
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy's Mom View Post
    Keep a small pair of tweezers in your car and use the mirror in your visor to spot the suckers. Much easier to see them in the daylight.
    YES! I keep thinking they will stop growing one of these days, So far at fifty four, Not happening. I> just keep tweezing, and mine are grey, and sometimes you can't see them and then you look in the light in your car mirror and Holy hell, Like a long huge whisker on a horse!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

It's so nice to know I'm not the only one! Why is it that they are NOT there one day and the next day they are long!? And YES to the tweezers in the car. It's amazing how they show up when you are just driving along minding your own business....then BOOM! lol

2 members found this post helpful.