The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Chin Hair

What the heck!?!?! I'm a couple of years into that joyful stage in a woman's life where hair sprouts from a formerly pristine chin. I'm completely OCD about checking for them, but I'm hampered by rapidly failing short range vision (another happy byproduct of aging). I've got a magnified makeup mirror that keeps me ahead of the battle, but here's the deal, I've never seen a short chin hair. It's like they sprout to a healthy 1/4 inch or more overnight. Coarse and black, they make me want to join a coven.

Has anyone else made this observation of chin hairs springing forward fully formed? Or am I a freak of nature?
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

10 members found this post helpful.

Mine are ingrown, which causes them either to swell up (yay) or entice me to try to dig them out (hooray.) I feel your pain.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

I have the same problem, but with bright, copper-red hair. Be nice is my regular hair was still that color, but no, I'm a strawberry roan now. Rats.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Just wait until they start turning grey, then they're almost impossible to in the mirror, much less get a tweezers around. I think I'm facing electrolysis in my future.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I too feel your pain.
    I'm a red-headed roan.
    But you know what's not right? A big old silver whisker amongst the other crop.

If my grandmother and mother are any measure, I'll be pulling coarse, black hair from my chin right up to the grave. Now the hair on my head started going gray in my 30s. Oh the irony it would be to dye my gray hair brown and bleach my black chin hairs so they won't show against my very fair skin. Mother Nature has a wicked sense of humor, emphasis on wicked.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes. I feel your pain. Started happening in my mid-forties. The damn things seem to go from nothing to goat hair in the blink of an eye.
    Sheilah

2 members found this post helpful.

Keep a small pair of tweezers in your car and use the mirror in your visor to spot the suckers. Much easier to see them in the daylight.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post
    Mine are ingrown, which causes them either to swell up (yay) or entice me to try to dig them out (hooray.) I feel your pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy's Mom View Post
    Keep a small pair of twee
    zers in your car and use the mirror in your visor to spot the suckers. Much easier to see them in the daylight.
    I have slewledo's problem and use MM's solution. It still sucks.
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Find them by feel. They are qKind of obvious

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm not quite old enough (thnakfully) to have this exact problem but two years ago I did receive a lovely scar on my chin from an unruly 3 year old warmblood. Since then, I've had a hair that is bound and determined to grow out of said scar. All I can say is - shave it every whilst in the shower. It drives me crazy, but it is now part of my daily showering routine. Damn that hair!!!
    Come to the darkside...we have cookies.

When my husband ties fly fishing flies he uses a pair of WalMart reading glasses in a much higher "prescription" than he usually wears. Sounds like a good tool for this job as well. (For some reason, I have no trouble seeing mine in the bathroom light.)
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Just wait until they start turning grey, then they're almost impossible to in the mirror, much less get a tweezers around. I think I'm facing electrolysis in my future.
    at least you can go a couple of days without plucking because they ar invisible....

yep, those damned things are so short you can hardly grab them, and then you pull a 1/4 inch of hair out. dangit, the flesh on the shin isn't that thick!

And, depending on the time of the month they tend to be ingrown and fester...or cause me to dig...yipee....some days I look like I ran across the dive and broke with my chin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Ditto the daylight trick. I took a magnified mirror and stood out on the back deck. I saw things I've never seen before!
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pony grandma View Post
    Ditto the daylight trick. I took a magnified mirror and stood out on the back deck. I saw things I've never seen before!

That could turn out to be a bad thing though....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo7777 View Post
    (For some reason, I have no trouble seeing mine in the bathroom light.)
    I thought I was not having trouble finding them in the mirror until I happened to look in the visor mirror one sunny day and to my horror saw all the ones I missed.

I have been dealing with chin hair for years due to PCOS. I'd have a damn lawn under my chin if I left it...

i went to electrolosis, didn't do squat for me. I guess the lighter the hair, the harder it is to zap, that was the BS story they told me. I got it on Groupon, so... lol guess you get what you pay for. Every now and then I just let the suckers grow out. lol Oh, it's even more fun if you have a mole.

Years and years ago, back in high school, I had a mole removed from my chin. In the last ten years of so, a black hair would grow from it. This year, that hair started coming in as a very thick, white blonde hair. Still icky but better, I guess.

I used to work with a black woman that had curly chest hair. I guess it didn't bother her because she wore some pretty low cut tops. I'd be breaking out the Veet but if it didn't bother her, so be it.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

SO GLAD I am not alone, I thought I was the only one!! I had PCOS, and have been on depo for so many years I have forgotten how long. It was a little shocking the first time I pulled out a WHITE one!! And yes, I keep tweezers everywhere!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

1 members found this post helpful.

I saw a woman once at the mall with hair going down her back. She was pretty and was wearing a low cut dress in the back and my guess is she didn't know she had it back there... it was weird. She was like middle eastern or one of the hairier cultures, so maybe it wasn't a big deal.