The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Default New COTH forums

I just posted this on "Off Course"

I post this here because lately I have heard that folks who post have gotten "not liked" "report cards" .
    This is truly a sad day -
    While many may not LIKE what someone posts, there is value to all opinions and in long reading here? There are those who really DO know more than most of the posters - and a lot of folks who need advice - welcome or not.

So this "liking or not liking" posts is truly offensive - learn, read, ignore - it is that simple. Finding only the folks that agree with you, offer poor advice but it goes down easy? Not the point of discourse. Nor education.

Sorry to rant here but it appears the "don't like" button hit to a friend - who said she like a stallion....????.and this forum in particular ? People post endlessly re "what stallion" with no pictures, no pedigree, no attributes , no record (other than I love her) and now you can get I "hated that post" because someone asks sensibly? Why Breed? Or there is more information posted. The goal.

COTH is full of personal crusades/advertisers/promoters etc - we know that - let's not make it WORSE - if there is to be credibility to anything posted, having an American IDOL, X Factor "voting" system? Ugh
    My post:

Moderators and others

I have been moving and computerless for a while. I come back and there is this whole new "Forums" page.

1. Weird font and now so much of the right side of the page taken up by ads? Finding it not so easy to read.

2. What the heck is the whole "like a post" "don't like a post" stuff??? What the ?? This isn't FB, It is a site prone to have opinions put forth - thank goodness. I am horified that there are now "like, don't like" buttons to push. And what EXACTLY do you intend to do with such nonsense? There are a lot of the uneducated seeking information - both good and bad - and no one knows who has knowledge re the "question" or does! BUT now if you don't like the answer? Which may be from the very "educated" ? One hits the "don't like" button? What purpose is this serving? Who benefits from this? Is the forum only for the REALLY POPULAR? Let me remind that several "really popular" have turned out to be crooks. Can only imagine how many "don't like post" buttons would have been pushed in the "crooks" heyday.

Come on - how ridiculous. Let's not make the forums "less" informative due to "opinion"
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm guessing that the "like/don't like" buttons are a response for those people that have said "where is the Facebook "like" for that comment?" I'm with you on if we need them or not - I personally can take it or leave it, and frequently I forget to hit like (I personally haven't hit a "dislike" yet) even if I really do like a post - typically I have to go back and hit it later on when I have thought about it LOL.

The way I look at the likes and dislikes is a like would be something that was said that really resonated with me - someone has said something truly helpful or nice (either about me or about another person, doesn't matter). A dislike to me would be just some hateful comment where the poster isn't really helping the discussion (ie: bashing another poster, or that type of thing). I may not agree with all the posts on this forum, but that doesn't mean that I would "dislike" someone's post or the like if it was polite and germaine to the discussion. But then that is me - I do see that it could easily be used for additional "bullying" or the like.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Come on - how ridiculous. Let's not make the forums "less" informative due to "opinion"
    There is very few cited and proved statements, most all of the posts are opinion. The only difference is that it is anonymous. I don't mind the likes. They are an easy way to show how many people share the same opinion, which can be useful when people are looking for opinions...which is 95% of the threads.
    The dislikes are probably unnecessary. And I do not see most people on this forum using it with any great frequency as most of us are adults and like to articulate why we disagree.
    Now if you could flip someone the bird....that might get some use!

Not sure what you mean by "report cards"

I am not a fan of the like/dislike buttons and would love to see them disappear. However I would ignore anything done even more anonymously than using a screen name. I think the like button is just a quick way to agree. I see no use at all for the dislike. If someone has a different opinion, please share it.

1 members found this post helpful.

If you go to the "Help" forum, you can address many things with the new forum format there. I know as a Premium Member, I was asked to give feedback on it before it went "live". Several of us did.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

1 members found this post helpful.

I am also one that would like to see just the "dislike" button removed. Really, there is no need for it...and I see it eventually causing trouble in the future The like button though, I'm OK with that. There are many times I've seen a great post and thought, "Man, where is the like button".

That being said, I also hate the new format. Approximately 33% of the page is now taken up by advertising. I know, I know, it helps fund the forum, the database, etc., but I just feels like the actually forum area has been squished off to the left, etc. To be honest, I am hardly on the COTH BB anymore since the new change. Although, I'm sure some people are likely happy about that!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

in the first few days of the ability to like/dislike there was a ton of clicking.... it seems like the newness has died down -

fwiw, the Mods have said that most likely they will remove the "dislike" ability altho they might run a poll on it... so keep your eyes peeled for that poll.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post

fwiw, the Mods have said that most likely they will remove the "dislike" ability altho they might run a poll on it... so keep your eyes peeled for that poll.
    That would be great All I see is a bunch of kids or Trolls coming on here and pressing the dislike button on everything. It's going to cause a lot of angry BB members.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    That would be great All I see is a bunch of kids or Trolls coming on here and pressing the dislike button on everything. It's going to cause a lot of angry BB members.
    Agree with this

Was going to anonymously "like" it, but figured I would take the extra time to actually respond in an affirmative way--the one thing I don't like about the "like" button--it's made me lazy!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Quote Originally Posted by tuckawayfarm View Post

I am not a fan of the like/dislike buttons and would love to see them disappear. However I would ignore anything done even more anonymously than using a screen name. I think the like button is just a quick way to agree. I see no use at all for the dislike. If someone has a different opinion, please share it.
    Ditto.

Also, I recently posted a little picture titled "7 rules for living" on FB. Rule #2 stated, "What other people think of you is none of your business." Rule # 4 says, "Don't compare yourself to others and don't judge them. You have no idea of what their journey is all about."

That is how I regard the dislike button. I ignore it.

I have no problems with either the like or dislike button. I actually kinda like them but pretty much figure we are all entitled to our own likes, dislikes, and opinions. What someone else likes or dislikes on an internet forum really doesn't impact my opinion very much other than to maybe give me things to consider I might not have thought of before. The real life relationships I develop with people are the ones that really count.

Frankly, I don't care and many people take this too personally. I have had many notifications, most "like", but I don't care if someone does not agree with me. It's Coth... big deal.
    Sometimes, not liking saves me typing a post...
    Grow up people!

8 members found this post helpful.

That^^^^
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

well so far - these aren't "like" buttons - these are labeled
    Notifications - and then "helpful post suggestions" or something like that ?? Too hilarious

BAD (no, not labeled "dislike" but "BAD" ) 10
    GOOD 7

OMG - my post a C+ at best

And what happened to being able to PM someone ? For the life of me I can't find -

oh COTH -
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Personally, I'd prefer if someone made a comment, even to say "agree" or "this" following a good post (rather than just a thumbs up) simply because it keeps the thread nearer the top of the page.

I'm ambivalent about the thumbs downs, meh.
    River Oaks Farm - home of the Elite Book Friesian Sporthorse Grand Prix dressage stallion Lexington - sire of four consecutive FSA National Inspection Champions. Endorsing the FSA.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Dogs View Post
    well so far - these aren't "like" buttons - these are labeled
    Notifications - and then "helpful post suggestions" or something like that ?? Too hilarious

BAD (no, not labeled "dislike" but "BAD" ) 10
    GOOD 7

OMG - my post a C+ at best

And what happened to being able to PM someone ? For the life of me I can't find -

oh COTH -
    Just click on the blue name of the person in the post ou want to PM. A box will open giving you the option to PM, Email and other things
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

While I like the "like" button, the dislike one is plain stupid. I got a dislike for saying that I liked the Sir Oldenburg stallion ... ... where someone was looking for black WB stallion. I mean truly - whether you like that stallion or not, is there ANY reason for giving a black mark to someone who says they DO like him?

The dislike button is a joke. I got several dislikes for saying that somewhere else LOL

I don't care for the like or dislike buttons. I find it more interesting and informative to read someone's articulated position or opinion. Sure I may disagree or dislike the poster or opinion, but does it serve any purpose or do any good for me to push an anonymous button about it? I mostly like everyone and what they wish to share, but I don't want to push a like button constantly.