The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Could soy cause itchiness

My horse gets itchy. He has always been prone to breaking out in hives in the summer if there are too many bugs ext. He is sensitive skinned. Recent stool sample came back showing no worms and he was wormed with eqvalan gold. But I have been feeding a washington timothy and a ration balancer. But it recently dawned on me that the ration balancer has soy in it. I am thinking to changing to a non soy feed.

Also what are the pros and cons of oats? BO has started feeding her horses and complete certified organic feed which is oak based. I buy my own feed so have not switched as I am weary of feeding oaks but her horses coats are nice and shinny so I am wondering how are oats for horses?

Oats are fine, but would be considered a hugely different variety of nutrition than your typical ration balancer. Oats have a modest amount of protein, starch and lysine but do not contain any (well, virtually none) of the vitamins and minerals that your RB provides.

Why not pull all grain for a week or two and see if his itching resolves, then re-challenge him with it. That's really the surest way to know if it's one of the ingredients in your feed. If it is, then you're going to have to switch to something else. But if it's NOT the feed, you've saved yourself a lot of headaches.

Typically food allergies are NOT seasonal, however. Many horses that are itchy in the summer are reacting to bugs or are sensitive to frequent bathing, while some are even irritated by their own sweat! I wouldn't think "food allergy" first, however, if the itching were seasonal, unless perhaps it was something that grows in his pasture.
    Click here before you buy.

well that is my question it is November and his tail is itchy still. So I am not not sure. The oat feed BO is feeding says complete so I am thinking they have balanced it.

Pinworms do not, I don't think, always show up on a fecal, and can cause a lot of itching in the tail/anus area. My appy was always scratching his butt and I did a fecal and he was negative for pinworms but I treated him anyhow and he stopped itching within 2-3 days. FWIW.

ETA I would still try pulling one feed and observing before starting another, since there are so many different ingredients that feeds can have in common. And I think oats are an excellent horse feed, generally and would have no qualms about using oats or an oat-based feed if I had the need to.

would eqvalan gold cover pin worms.

I think so--sorry, when I read the OP I saw the "Eqvalan" but not the "Gold" part.

I guess I am mostly wondering how good soy is for horses as I have heard mixed information on it. I however like the ration balancer as I am feeding good quality timothy and my horses are very easy keepers at all times.

My one miniature is allergic to soy. Not only was he constantly itching and rubbing, his eyes ran constant tears and his glands were swollen. Removed the high soy rashion balancer and now feed him an alfalfa/grass mix pellet and top dress with a few nuggets of California Trace and Smart IR, and he feels and looks way better.

Is he currently showing any other symptoms at the moment other then an itchy tail?

There is all manner of scary information (and a lot of mis-information) about soy. You rarely hear, however, about the legions of animals that have done and are doing well on it year in and year out. Nobody talks much about boring, normal, healthy animals without problems tolerating whatever product is under discussion.

Seems the "soy issues" that get discussed can be roughly categorized into 3 groups.

1. True soy allergy, where an exposed animal is itchy, weepy, rashy, etc.

2. Soy intolerance, wherein some animals seem to develop various endocrine maladies when exposed to soy.

3. People are scared or wary of GMO and want to avoid it.

I have no opinion one way or the other on the latter, simply delineating the various things that seem to make people worried about using soy.

1 members found this post helpful.

My mare is sensitive to soy. Makes her itchy, witchy to other horses, spooky, scared of things (boogie bears in a bush), bloated, constant heat cycle.

I do not feed her soy since I figured it out.

I have a 7a soy bean field RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET from me. I can walk to my mail box 200-300' down the driveway and there they are. Also a 200a one right behind my property.

Let me tell you, they spray those beans like cotton. Which is ALOT. They spray before they plant, then again before they plant. They till. Then they plant. Then they spray after they plant about 2-3 weeks after it sprouts, and at least 2 more times during the growing season. Then they spray to defoliate the plants before they harvest. Then it all dies, and then they harvest (very dirty very dusty). Then they spray, till, spray, plant, spray and plant their cover crop, which is right now. They do the same with cotton. However with all the cotton there are many airplanes sprayers. Just think, every time they till, all the dirt and chemicals go everywhere. Then when they spray, all the chemicals go everywhere. I lost more plants last early spring than you can imagine. I did fuss at the guy who sprayed. I pretty much also lost 2 David Austin Roses, and some other stuff. They can not one wit if the spray drifts. They just sprayed the field across the street over the weekend. Seems like EVERY time they spray the wind is blowing really hard. I have a weathervane and I watch it. After I showed the farmer all the damage to my plants at my house, he has started to watch the wind. He better. I will not put up with the spraying next time, he has been warned of the drift.

I guess what I am trying to say, is with animal feed they may not be so careful with the chemicals on the plants or what it yields. This very well could be in your horses feed, and if he is allergic to it, then you will have issues. Also other things run on the belts at a feed mill. What your bag SAYS may have something else in it. Who knows, maybe the feed mill is spray bugs, rats, or whatever and some of the drift gets on the feed? Maybe it is a preservative in your horses feed.

Now I am not a paranoid chemical phob, but with all the spraying and chemicals, ya do have to wonder if everything combined causes the horses so much itch and reactions. Soy beans are cheap and the mfg are loading the feeds up with them.

I feed my soy sensitive mare tim pellets for her grain, and equipride supplement. I myself will never eat any more soy beans fresh or in "milk" after what I see with the beans here. Corn they do not spray much. Also not sure how horse feed could ever be organic in the true sense of organic.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    My mare is sensitive to soy. Makes her itchy, witchy to other horses, spooky, scared of things (boogie bears in a bush), bloated, constant heat cycle.

I do not feed her soy since I figured it out.

I have a 7a soy bean field RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET from me. I can walk to my mail box 200-300' down the driveway and there they are. Also a 200a one right behind my property.

Let me tell you, they spray those beans like cotton. Which is ALOT. They spray before they plant, then again before they plant. They till. Then they plant. Then they spray after they plant about 2-3 weeks after it sprouts, and at least 2 more times during the growing season. Then they spray to defoliate the plants before they harvest. Then it all dies, and then they harvest (very dirty very dusty). Then they spray, till, spray, plant, spray and plant their cover crop, which is right now. They do the same with cotton. However with all the cotton there are many airplanes sprayers. Just think, every time they till, all the dirt and chemicals go everywhere. Then when they spray, all the chemicals go everywhere. I lost more plants last early spring than you can imagine. I did fuss at the guy who sprayed. I pretty much also lost 2 David Austin Roses, and some other stuff. They can not one wit if the spray drifts. They just sprayed the field across the street over the weekend. Seems like EVERY time they spray the wind is blowing really hard. I have a weathervane and I watch it. After I showed the farmer all the damage to my plants at my house, he has started to watch the wind. He better. I will not put up with the spraying next time, he has been warned of the drift.

I guess what I am trying to say, is with animal feed they may not be so careful with the chemicals on the plants or what it yields. This very well could be in your horses feed, and if he is allergic to it, then you will have issues. Also other things run on the belts at a feed mill. What your bag SAYS may have something else in it. Who knows, maybe the feed mill is spray bugs, rats, or whatever and some of the drift gets on the feed? Maybe it is a preservative in your horses feed.

Now I am not a paranoid chemical phob, but with all the spraying and chemicals, ya do have to wonder if everything combined causes the horses so much itch and reactions. Soy beans are cheap and the mfg are loading the feeds up with them.

I feed my soy sensitive mare tim pellets for her grain, and equipride supplement. I myself will never eat any more soy beans fresh or in "milk" after what I see with the beans here. Corn they do not spray much. Also not sure how horse feed could ever be organic in the true sense of organic.
    Thanks! I looked into the certified organic feed and I would have to feed way to much to give adequate vitamin minerals needed so I would have to supplement. But I have decided I want to eliminate soy, I am just not fond of feeding heavily chemical loaded and preferably GMO. Is there such thing as a non GMO ration balancer?

Oats are 'fine' unless the horse reacts metabolically to them.

In which case, oats would not be fine.

Regarding soy-I wouldn't put it in my horse.

Oats are great!

UPDATE: My husband said yesterday or the day before he saw somebody dumping something on the 7 acres field across the street. He said it was a pickup truck and it looked greyish. ?? Maybe lime. We need alot of lime here in our area. Lime can burn if breathed, or it gets on your skin.

I am so ready to move from this house. But doubt it due to the house market and nothing is selling - still.