The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I deserve a raise - how to ask for it?

I left my previous job after accepting a job offer from my current employer in April 2011. I work for a solo practitioner OB/GYN. I accepted the position for higher compensation. I'm a medical assistant and have been working as one since 2004, I get paid a much higher salary than the average medical assistant's salary for my area. I'm great at my job, knowledgeable, and dependable - I earn my keep to say the least.
    When I was hired, she had no other nursing staff because she fired her one and only nurse. When I interviewed for the job, I was told that her office usually has a RN for triage, phone calls, prescriptions, obstetrical nurse teaching, etc....and a medical assistant (myself) to work directly with patients during appointments. She said she was looking to hire another nurse to compliment me, just had to find the right one.

She NEVER hired a RN, and I've been doing BOTH nursing jobs ever since I was hired. I take in all the phone calls, handle prescriptions, Ob teaching, NST monitoring, instrument cleaning, laundry, put patients in rooms (BP, weight, urine check, etc) and assist with every examination she does. I do a TWO person job, in a 32 hour work week, and still manage to keep my sanity and a put smile on my face. After a hectic day of patients double booked every 15 minutes, I have to go to my office and handle the stacks of charts that need returned calls and prescriptions called in. If I have a question on how to handle something, I have to knock on her office door and I usually get a "What do you want? I'm busy"....and I basically have to BEG her to help me answer patient questions that she should be answering, but she refuses to actually call patients herself. Its extremely frustrating, monotonous, and tiring. Mind you.... I'm not even a RN, and I'm going above and beyond my title by doing "RN duties". We don't have an office manager, and our billing person quit so now the receptionist is also doing 2 jobs (and has been for a year now). We're so understaffed....and she doesn't care.

This summer, she went to L.A. to train on a new procedure for the office to offer. Somehow I found the time to do a launch party, organize everything and launch her new product, without her even asking me to do it. I knew that if I didn't do it, it would never get done and I'd have to hear her complain about why its November, and we still haven't gotten this going. Oh btw, she said this was HER baby and she would take care of it since she knows we're "so busy". That was obviously never going to happen.

I also just finished a HUGE undertaking of going through every chart in the office, figuring out which ones could go to storage and which ones could be disposed of. She had 30 bankers boxes piled up around the office for years before I was hired, some of which had charts from patients last seen in 1999. I ended up going through 36 bankers boxes worth of charts. This was also something I volunteered, and was not asked to do.

As you could probably tell by now, I work for the kind of person that doesn't get anything done until the problem is literally bursting at the seams. She doesn't do employee reviews, either. She spends as little time in the office as possible; comes in 30 minutes after her first appointment time EVERYDAY, and leaves immediately. I can't even ask questions about her patients without getting a door shut in my face.

I don't think I deserve a raise, I KNOW I DESERVE A RAISE. How do I go about asking when I work for such a miserable biotch, who isn't thankful, and won't give me the time of day? I honestly feel like she would laugh in my face because I already get paid better than most medical assistants.

Do I ask for a review? Do I write a letter asking for a raise? Do I beg her for a few moments to talk just and ask?

I wouldn't ask for a raise, I would start looking for another job. Your boss sounds horrible.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    I wouldn't ask for a raise, I would start looking for another job. Your boss sounds horrible.
    Ditto. You would clearly be a valued member of someone else's practice!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    I've had this discussed with my husband many times. That is always an option, but with the economy the way it is, I probably won't find another job that pays anywhere near what I make now, and where I'm only needed 4 days a week. If I work 5 days a week, I would only be able to ride on the weekends, and I wish I had more free time to ride as it is.

So....I'm willing to deal with her, but only for better pay.

Well, I wish you luck but if she is anywhere near as bad as she sounds, I hope you catch her on an extremely good day no matter how you end up going about it.

As far as method, direct sounds best, in person. Anything you send or give her in writing would probably get "lost".

Quote Originally Posted by Satin Filly View Post
    I've had this discussed with my husband many times. That is always an option, but with the economy the way it is, I probably won't find another job that pays anywhere near what I make now, and where I'm only needed 4 days a week. If I work 5 days a week, I would only be able to ride on the weekends, and I wish I had more free time to ride as it is.

So....I'm willing to deal with her, but only for better pay.
    Well, getting a raise from her will only dig you deeper into the hole you are already in. She will expect more from you for more money, and you won't be able to find another job for the money and hours you have.

Seriously, you're better off finding another job now - or going back and getting your RN. This job will. not. change. Your boss will not get better and will probably get worse.

If you insist on staying then ask for a review. When that doesn't happen, give yourself a review and give it to her (outlining all you've done - like in your first post). Name your price (plus a little) and be prepared for her to turn you down. She might give you the raise - but she will expect more. If she doesn't, you'll need to decide how you will handle that before hand. It will be difficult. Good Luck! (and - if I were you I would get OUT - easy to say, but I swear the job market is loosening up from what I can see.)

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

1 members found this post helpful.

I doubt she will change, because she doesn't need to. She doesn't answer to anyone, so she can be whatever type of boss she wants to be, and as long as people will work for her (which they apparently will), then there is no need for her to change.

I have to ask, though, if you are already overworked, why did you volunteer to do more?

Quote Originally Posted by andreab View Post
    I doubt she will change, because she doesn't need to. She doesn't answer to anyone, so she can be whatever type of boss she wants to be, and as long as people will work for her (which they apparently will), then there is no need for her to change.

I have to ask, though, if you are already overworked, why did you volunteer to do more?

Because I've been mustering up the confidence to ask for a raise, and I needed a little extra "ammo" in case she dare asks "why I think I need a raise?". I was sick of tripping over boxes of charts anyway.

Well, first of all you need to explain why you deserve a raise, not why you need a raise.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

What a sorry situation. If I were you, I'd be looking for a new job. I just sent in a request for salary adjustment to my own boss. A week ago. She has not said a word about it to me since I sent it. I got a one-line response via email stating that she'd discuss it with her boss "and let you know the outcome." So, my hopes are not high.

Your boss is setting you up to fail. Since you do go above and beyond, when the inevitable happens and something DOES fall through, you will take it hard and do you really want to feel like a failure?

I'm sorry.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Well you can ask for a raise but you better be prepared to demonstrate why you deserve a raise. If you're a medical assistant you may be at the top of your pay range. It sounds like your learning a lot and this will serve you well in the future. Go back to school and get your RN that way you can keep your 30 hour week.

If you do go to her, I'd have two clearly outlined lists. The first with your original job description (ie what you were hired to do) and the second with your current job description (ie what you actually do). It's clear you're doing the work of two people, and I wouldn't be afraid to say as much, in as calm and professional a manner as possible. The worst she can say is no, right?