The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Equestrian Hailey View Post
    Well okay Miss Snarky and Rude... Yes, I'm certainly aware I'm not the first person to have guests. Legal document because some barns have liability contracts for people to even be there and I wanted to know if I should have that in place. I've always heard that's it is better to be safe than sorry. My friend will not be riding. I'm just viewing this from all possible angles so I can learn about things if the situation was to be different.

[edit]
    [edit] frankly, at 16 years of age, you are one uber-paranoid cookie. [edit] Go re-read your long long post just over having a friend simply "visit" your boarding barn. No riding involved. Just visiting & patting a few horsey noses. Geez Louise girl - what the heck are you going to go through when you have something REALLY serious to deal with?? Particularly later on in life. I'm frightened just thinking about it.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Nov. 25, 2012 at 09:11 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

In Off Course she let's all know just how grown up & smart she is for her age. Her name calling & massive editing here more than blew any such benefit of doubt. *oh well*
    Last edited by ThisTooShallPass; Nov. 25, 2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: wrote the word "all" twice. i need a volunteer proofreader ;)
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

Bacardi1, you sure know it all most times. Strange way to express your grief by taking it out on a young poster.
    OP, I also thought you were overly worried, but I would not tell you to get meds. Sheesh, that was so out line!
    Ask your fellow barn mates and your barn manager first. It will be fine!
    Ignore some posters ... it is just their way...

3 members found this post helpful.

My friend wants to visit, but I don't think they should...
    My friend wants to visit my horse farm, but I'm very weary about her coming. My farm is very small. It's not a huge place with lessons and tons of horses. There is maybe 20 horses and everyone at the barn has a horse. The horse I have there, isn't even mine. I'm leasing him. My friend apparently rode horses for a while, but she said she was still a novice. I kinda feel weird bringing her to the barn when everyone at my barn has show experience and is advanced. Also, I am worried about if something happens to her. Like, what if she falls, or a horse mistakes her hand for food if she tries to give them a treat or something? I'd have to make some sort of legal document. Like the liability papers and all that lesson barns have. Am I just being paranoid about this, or do I make sense about my concerns? I don't want to be a bad friend, but the risks outweigh her visit too much I think. All she would be doing is watching me and petting the horse and grooming him, but still... What should I do? Should I let her come, or tell her to stay home? And how would I tell her to stay home if that's the answer? I don't want to be a bad friend, but I want to be a smart equestrian at the same time. Help please?

Here is the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Macimage View Post

Here is the original post.
    Thanks. Funny how the original post disappeared/changed once the OP realized how utterly paranoid it sounded.

I'm still puzzling over "medical field of study".

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

OP: sorry you got snark from some posters.
    I think your question was valid, if worded a bit oddly, but then I am old enough to be your grandmaw

The "right way" to do this, IMO, would be to ask the BM if having a guest was ok.
    Your friend might be asked to sign a waiver or not, depends on barn rules.
    I'd think someone just hanging with you and not riding would be fine.
    Don't worry about the other boarders, just be sure your friend knows some basic barn etiquette - like not petting or feeding anything to a horse unless owner is asked first and how to pass a horse in crossties, etc.
    If she's ridden in the past she probably knows these things, but it wouldn't hurt to ask or offer tips.

My totally non-horsy BFF came to watch a rated H/J show with me once.
    I wasn't riding, had loaned my horse to another friend and wanted to see him go.
    As we walked onto the showgrounds, BFF announced in his best Outside Voice "Where do you bet on these things?"
    You could practically hear the necks creak as heads swiveled to see who had spoken.
    It made me LOL.
    My point is don't worry about what others may think.
    Go see your horse, bring your friend and have a good time.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Thanks. Funny how the original post disappeared/changed once the OP realized how utterly paranoid it sounded.
    I'm new to this whole forum thing. I tried to edit it and I couldn't figure out the format and it all disappeared and I'm using an iPhone to do it and it was strange and I thought I was editing and all. It's taking some time to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    I'm still puzzling over "medical field of study".
    I'm very concerned about sharing personal stuff with my family and all online. They teach us so much about cyber safety and all in school. Anyways. My father is a physical therapist. The best in the area and he's the PTA president for the US. My mom is a personal trainer and one of he best. She also runs a health and fitness department at a college. So they're both in medical something. Most of my family is.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    OP: sorry you got snark from some posters.
    I think your question was valid, if worded a bit oddly, but then I am old enough to be your grandmaw

The "right way" to do this, IMO, would be to ask the BM if having a guest was ok.
    Your friend might be asked to sign a waiver or not, depends on barn rules.
    I'd think someone just hanging with you and not riding would be fine.
    Don't worry about the other boarders, just be sure your friend knows some basic barn etiquette - like not petting or feeding anything to a horse unless owner is asked first and how to pass a horse in crossties, etc.
    If she's ridden in the past she probably knows these things, but it wouldn't hurt to ask or offer tips.

My totally non-horsy BFF came to watch a rated H/J show with me once.
    I wasn't riding, had loaned my horse to another friend and wanted to see him go.
    As we walked onto the showgrounds, BFF announced in his best Outside Voice "Where do you bet on these things?"
    You could practically hear the necks creak as heads swiveled to see who had spoken.
    It made me LOL.
    My point is don't worry about what others may think.
    Go see your horse, bring your friend and have a good time.
    Thank you! I'm just very protective about my horses and very protective about my friends. They mean the world to me. I just want everything to go right. No drama. I left my old barn due to drama.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    In Off Course she let's all know just how grown up & smart she is for her age. Her name calling & massive editing here more than blew any such benefit of doubt. *oh well*
    My massive editing is due to tech issues and me being new to a blog. I'm still learning how to use it. I didn't mean to delete it and all. Sorry about that. I thought it was adding to the post and all or something. As for me being mature, I'm not the one telling people to take meds and stuff.

Aw shucks, she gave me a thumbs down.
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm very concerned about sharing personal stuff with my family and all online. They teach us so much about cyber safety and all in school. Anyways. My father is a physical therapist. The best in the area and he's the PTA president for the US. My mom is a personal trainer and one of he best. She also runs a health and fitness department at a college. So they're both in medical something. Most of my family is.
    Interesting. All you needed to say was they work as physical therapists and personal trainers, if you were worried about "sharing too much". "Medical field of study" is just so... unwieldy.

You wouldn't be able to come up with a document for your friend and she wouldn't be able to sign it anyway. Under the age of 18 all this stuff would be between your parents, her parents, the Barn Owner and the person your parents are leasing the horse from (maybe them if need be). I think you are trying to be a bit too grown up for your time...
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"