The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov. 25, 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27

    Smile Problem Solved!

    Thanks everyone for the comments. I've finally figured things out. The reason I've been so worried about it is because recently I heard a story about a friend of mine who got into some legal thing with her best friend because her horse stepped on her friend's toe or something. I just don't want that happening to my friend and I. I'm not a bad friend, I'm just concerned. Every horse person deserves to be concerned about something... And I'm the newest person at the barn I am at. So I want to stay on everyone's good side. No, I'm not a bad friend. No, I do not have issues with horse people. Etc. Thanks for everyone's help.
    Last edited by Equestrian Hailey; Nov. 25, 2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Solved!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    May. 8, 2005
    Location
    between here and there...in Arizona
    Posts
    587

    Default

    I would say you do sound too paranoid. How is she going to fall if she is just watching you and petting the horses? Unless you mean walking and tripping.

    Anywho, if she is a friend, why don't you just tell her how you feel.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov. 25, 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koniucha View Post
    I would say you do sound too paranoid. How is she going to fall if she is just watching you and petting the horses? Unless you mean walking and tripping.

    Anywho, if she is a friend, why don't you just tell her how you feel.
    I had recently heard a story about some girl who had her best friend get into some legal dispute because her horse stepped on her friend's toe and broke it or something. Yes, the girl was wearing paddock boots. I just don't want that happening to my friend and I. I just want to be safe.
    Last edited by Equestrian Hailey; Nov. 25, 2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Problem solved! Thank you for your comments/help.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 28, 2006
    Location
    The rocky part of KY
    Posts
    9,507

    Default

    My daughter used to bring her friends to her horseshows and they would goof off and visit the snackbar between classes, and her friends would sit with us and cheer her on, nobody ever had a problem with it, not the trainer or the show management. We brought a friend to the barn once or twice and there was never a problem.

    Did she ask to come along or are you having second thoughts about an invitation you issued? If she asked then you aren't under any obligation to bring her to your barn, but if she wants to get back into horses then perhaps you could go with her for fun to a good local lesson barn and you could basically hack while she rides under supervision.
    If you invited her then you really have to take her. Just make up a program of how long you'll be there and what you'll do, and expect to be a good hostess and keep her entertained and safe.

    ETA if her parents are kinda wierd then a local lesson barn with rules and insurance is your best bet.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul. 21, 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,064

    Default

    Have you asked your barn owner/manager about bringing someone to visit? Many places have visitors sign a release to come on the property - mine does - and that would take care of your concerns.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2005
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    6,693

    Default

    You don't want your friend to visit your barn because....uh....because she doesn't show? You want to draw up a release form for her just to set foot in the barn and pat a horse? Guess what. You are NOT her friend. You are, to put it bluntly, paranoid and a snob. Why in god's name would a visitor "upset your fellow barn mates" merely by her presence? Wow. Just. Wow.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry


    7 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov. 30, 2009
    Posts
    983

    Default

    Yes, you are being paranoid. Bringing a friend to the barn is a normal kind of activity. You DO need to have a discussion with her before you go, not when you get there, about what is ok to do and not ok. (like: do not touch any horses unless you get that horse's owner's or lessor's permission.)

    You do not have to let her ride if you are not comfortable with that idea, but again, you have a discussion before you go.
    If you intend to let her ride, the person you need to talk to ins the manager. It may not be a problem at all, or it could be forbidden.

    People at "show barns" do not assume that only experienced horse people of a cirtain type will ever be on the property, but you should have her sign a farm release. From the way you worded your post, it seems like you are ashamed of her, or feel that she will not "fit in" in this environment. That is the part that does not really sound like you are being a good friend. Share your horse experience with HER, not the other people you are concerned about at the barn. That would be how a good friend acts.
    Hope this helps


    2 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    9,274

    Default

    Because your horse is leased, would she be allowed to ride anyway? Check the contract. Then ask the BO/BM about visitors, and waivers.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug. 15, 2008
    Posts
    4,589

    Default

    "Aye God, Woodrow..."


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar. 4, 2010
    Posts
    1,343

    Default

    People bring non-riders to barns. She just needs to understand the rules ahead of time - Don't touch or feed anyone's horse without permission. Wear barn shoes. No riding anyone's horse (even yours) without a signed release. Pet the barn kitties if they're friendly. Have fun.

    StG


    2 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2011
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Equestrian Hailey View Post
    My friend wants to visit my horse farm, but I'm very weary about her coming. My farm is very small. It's not a huge place with lessons and tons of horses. There is maybe 20 horses and everyone at the barn has a horse. The horse I have there, isn't even mine. I'm leasing him. My friend apparently rode horses for a while, but she said she was still a novice. I kinda feel weird bringing her to the barn when everyone at my barn has show experience and is advanced. Also, I am worried about if something happens to her. Like, what if she falls, or a horse mistakes her hand for food if she tries to give them a treat or something? I'd have to make some sort of legal document. Like the liability papers and all that lesson barns have. Am I just being paranoid about this, or do I make sense about my concerns? I don't want to be a bad friend, but the risks outweigh her visit too much I think. All she would be doing is watching me and petting the horse and grooming him, but still... What should I do? Should I let her come, or tell her to stay home? And how would I tell her to stay home if that's the answer? I don't want to be a bad friend, but I want to be a smart equestrian at the same time. Help please?
    Are you for real????

    Honestly, I really don't think you're the very first person at your boarding barn who has had a guest visit. A "legal document" just to enter the premises & pat a few horses on the nose???? Your "friend" is not going to be riding (thank God for that - I'd hate to see what that would entail from you).

    [edit]

    Oh - and you are definitely not a "friend". And if I were your guest, based on your post, I'd frankly be more concerned about YOU sueing HER for something - not the other way around.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:04 PM.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul. 21, 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,064

    Default

    Easy y'all. The OP is sixteen. I know lots of horsey girls who are kind of leery about how non-horsey girls might behave around a barn - or about sharing the horsey part of their lives with their non-horsey friends.

    OP - don't take offense. We old ladies have forgotten what it's like to have non-horsey friends who want to visit the barn. By the time you get our age, your friends' eyes will glaze over with boredom the instant you say the "h" word.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,632

    Default

    I used to try and drag my friends to the barn all the time. I still will happily have anyone who wants to meet the horse come for a visit. I definitely don't think it's an age thing. Maybe age + "show barn" thing, but not an age thing.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2011
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    Easy y'all. The OP is sixteen. I know lots of horsey girls who are kind of leery about how non-horsey girls might behave around a barn - or about sharing the horsey part of their lives with their non-horsey friends.

    OP - don't take offense. We old ladies have forgotten what it's like to have non-horsey friends who want to visit the barn. By the time you get our age, your friends' eyes will glaze over with boredom the instant you say the "h" word.
    Thanks for the age heads up. But really, one has to wonder who has made the OP so paranoid about just bringing a friend to the barn. Are her parents both lawyers?



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov. 25, 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Thanks for the age heads up. But really, one has to wonder who has made the OP so paranoid about just bringing a friend to the barn. Are her parents both lawyers?
    No. My parents are in the medical field of study. Yes, I'm 16 years old. I just want to do things correctly. I had recently heard a story about some girl who had her best friend get into some legal dispute because her horse stepped on her friend's toe and broke it or something. Yes, the girl was wearing paddock boots. I just don't want that happening to my friend and I. In my opinion, it's better to be safe and ask questions and ask for help and opinions, than ask no one and go into a situation nervous.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov. 25, 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    Easy y'all. The OP is sixteen. I know lots of horsey girls who are kind of leery about how non-horsey girls might behave around a barn - or about sharing the horsey part of their lives with their non-horsey friends.

    OP - don't take offense. We old ladies have forgotten what it's like to have non-horsey friends who want to visit the barn. By the time you get our age, your friends' eyes will glaze over with boredom the instant you say the "h" word.
    Thank you very very much. Yes, I'm younger than most people here on the forum. So my questions and comments may seem paranoid or might be an obvious answer to some people. But I'm still learning. Just like everyone else. I just don't want to be in some trouble that I could easily avoid and all. I use this forum to get information and opinions from equestrians who have experience equal to or lesser than mine. Not to be bashed... No question is a stupid question in my opinion. Thanks for respecting that.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov. 25, 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Are you for real????

    Honestly, I really don't think you're the very first person at your boarding barn who has had a guest visit. A "legal document" just to enter the premises & pat a few horses on the nose???? Your "friend" is not going to be riding (thank God for that - I'd hate to see what that would entail from you).

    [edit]

    Oh - and you are definitely not a "friend". And if I were your guest, based on your post, I'd frankly be more concerned about YOU sueing HER for something - not the other way around.
    Well okay Miss Snarky and Rude... Yes, I'm certainly aware I'm not the first person to have guests. Legal document because some barns have liability contracts for people to even be there and I wanted to know if I should have that in place. I've always heard that's it is better to be safe than sorry. My friend will not be riding. I'm just viewing this from all possible angles so I can learn about things if the situation was to be different.

    [edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: comment and response


    1 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov. 25, 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Because your horse is leased, would she be allowed to ride anyway? Check the contract. Then ask the BO/BM about visitors, and waivers.
    I'm just viewing the situation from all angles. I know she wouldn't be riding and all. I just want to know what to do if something like that happens.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov. 25, 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arlosmine View Post
    Yes, you are being paranoid. Bringing a friend to the barn is a normal kind of activity. You DO need to have a discussion with her before you go, not when you get there, about what is ok to do and not ok. (like: do not touch any horses unless you get that horse's owner's or lessor's permission.)

    You do not have to let her ride if you are not comfortable with that idea, but again, you have a discussion before you go.
    If you intend to let her ride, the person you need to talk to ins the manager. It may not be a problem at all, or it could be forbidden.

    People at "show barns" do not assume that only experienced horse people of a cirtain type will ever be on the property, but you should have her sign a farm release. From the way you worded your post, it seems like you are ashamed of her, or feel that she will not "fit in" in this environment. That is the part that does not really sound like you are being a good friend. Share your horse experience with HER, not the other people you are concerned about at the barn. That would be how a good friend acts.
    Hope this helps
    I don't intend on letting her ride and all. I added that in as future reference advice to refer too. Sorry my wording skills aren't to great. And about the "show barn" thing, I worded that badly. Sorry. They're just a very very tight knit family of equestrians. I'm not ashamed of my friend btw.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov. 25, 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Hey! Read the other comments! I am also, NOT A SNOB! I frown upon horse snobs. I'm just really careful. I also have issues addressing my emotions and intentions through writing. I'm 16 years old! I'm not some adult snob. I'm just a really concerned teenager who wants to do things the right way and asks a lot of questions.


    1 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. New horse: For a Friend of a Friend
    By 2DogsFarm in forum Endurance and Trail Riding
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Jul. 14, 2012, 03:13 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jan. 13, 2012, 07:31 PM
  3. Replies: 47
    Last Post: Sep. 12, 2011, 02:20 AM
  4. helping a friend find a friend, please take a look
    By twinlights in forum Missing Horses
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Nov. 21, 2010, 09:15 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct. 16, 2009, 09:07 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness