The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Leasing Stalls to Trainer?

Hi everybody first timer here so I don't know how this works actually??? Anyways i have an assignment for my Stable Management class which consists of making a contract with a trainer who wants to lease some stalls for me and do some training as well. I would like to know what I need to make a strong solid contract such as:
    What kind of insurance do I need or they need?
    Am I covered by there insurance?
    How much should I charge the trainer for using the facility?
    Should the trainer use their own tack/equipment?
    Any damages done to the facility will be taken care of by the trainer?
    What things should be included in the contract?

P.s. Thanks this would really help alot

Quote Originally Posted by Andyz_01 View Post
    Hi everybody first timer here so I don't know how this works actually??? Anyways i have an assignment for my Stable Management class which consists of making a contract with a trainer who wants to lease some stalls for me and do some training as well.

I would like to know what I need to make a strong solid contract such as:
    What kind of insurance do I need or they need?
    Am I covered by there (their is the correct word) insurance? NO
    How much should I charge the trainer for using the facility? Depends - what amenities are they "buying"? # stalls, indoor arena, pasture vs stall borading, etc.
    Should the trainer use their own tack YES /equipment?
    Any damages done to the facility will be taken care of by the trainer?
    Not necessairly - what will your contract say? What things should be included in the contract?

P.s. Thanks this would really help alot
    Insurance - Trainer must cover insurance for themselves, any damage their horse may do, and their clients and clients horses (while on your property). Barn owner must also carry insurance to take care of negligence, etc. For example - inadequate fencing caused a horse to get loose. While loose it destroys a car. Who pays? Barn owner (fencing inadequate, car parking allows horses to get access to cars), trainers insurance - it was their horse that got loose and it's because the horse knocked down the barmn owners fence, etc....

Charge ? It depends. Area of the country AND cost (some places are cheaper than others), but figure out where the dividing line is between the barn owner and the trainer, document it clearly in the contract, then estimate your base costs, add labor, etc... to determine what you need to charge.

Trainers always use their own equipment - from water hoses, to tack.

Facility damages - you need to spell out in the contract - just like what "fixes/maintenance YOU will be responsible, and what fixes/changes the trainer is responsible for. If a horse jumps a fence and takes down the top rail - you pay. Happens on a regular basis and rails are being destroyed and labor expended to "chase and capture" said horse and "any others that get loose" then perhaps a penalty clause occurs.

Start by making lists of normal activities, listing expendables (water, water hoses, lightbulbs, electricity, etc...) then who pays for what. Then into labor, responsibilities of abandoned horses, loose horses, sick (late at night, when you are leaving for vacation, etc.) - who sits with vet, who pays if you call vet and owner thinks it was not needed? etc...

In a nutshell - do your homework and break the question into parts.
    Make some assumptions of whom should pay for what,
    Assign costs (for your area of the country) for worst (expected) case to best case, determine average cost, then
    Come back with specific qustions - giving people enough background to help you.

As it is no-one has answered because it appears you want to provide 5 seconds of thought to the question, take a few answers then call it done.

Instead YOU need to take the large problem - break it down into smaller sections, gather data (MORE than just asking random question on this BB) - like cost per KWH of electricity then going to barns and asking their electricty usage, etc.

There are too many variables to help you.
    How large a barn? How many stalls?
    What amenities will exist (Indoor arena you could rent out separately, etc...)
    Sandy in Fla.

Better yet, ask various farms for their experiences. You can even do a search on the BB.

You even need to research the pros and cons for doing such a thing.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.