The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Hubba hubba!!

I'm not in the market, but someone here needs this tough campaigner...

http://www.horseadoption.com/horseprofiles/satin-kddin/

That's a really NICE looking horse!

Hope someone on here gets him so we can follow his adventures!

I noticed him, but am hesitant to adopt from New Vocations based on what I read on their contract. Has anyone adopted from them? I'm concerned about not being able to ever resell. I also read that you can not try/ride the horse first because of insurance reasons. I'm looking for an OTTB like him who has ran a good amount and proven their soundness.
    Things happen for a reason...so when I reach over and smack you upside the head, just remember...you gave me a reason!

I have adopted two horses from New Vocations and have not been disappointed at all. Yes, they want you to keep it for a year at least, and I believe this is to keep people from putting 30-60 days on them and flipping them. they are being adopted, not sold, so their aim is to find them forever homes, not have them resold in a short time. You do have to send in 3 ( I think ) updates within the first year, and let them know where you are boarding or if you move. They really aren't THAT strict, they just want the best for the horses. They do check your vet and boarding references, and your personal references as well. If you have good references then it's very easy. I don't think that you can try the horses, you are correct on that, but they will ride them for you, and yes it is due to the added cost of insurance that they would have to carry. If you are honest with them, and let them know what you want, the level of rider you are and the level of competition (if any) you are hoping to attain, they will hook you up with the best match, or let you know that they don't have anything suitable at that time.
    They will also take a horse back within 3 months (going by memory) no questions asked, and if you have to place/sell one after that, they will list it on their "Graduates" page, or they may even take it back into their own facility.
    I had the first horse for about two years, a mare, but found that once I got to the point of going up dressage levels, she was not happy to come along, although she LOVED to jump. I let them know that I was going to sell her to a trail riding home and they were fine with that.
    My current boy, I have had for almost 2 years and he is fabulous. I would not hesitate for a second to adopt from them again. The are a find upstanding organization. I think that their contract works in the favour of the horse, and they should be commended for that!
    Go take a look. If you want to hold one, you have to pay first though! But you can change your mind once you get there and choose another or none at all.

3 members found this post helpful.

Cruiser12 - Thanks for the info! I think I'll go ahead and get an application filled out just in case.
    Things happen for a reason...so when I reach over and smack you upside the head, just remember...you gave me a reason!

Gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRyderKy View Post
    I noticed him, but am hesitant to adopt from New Vocations based on what I read on their contract. Has anyone adopted from them? I'm concerned about not being able to ever resell. I also read that you can not try/ride the horse first because of insurance reasons. I'm looking for an OTTB like him who has ran a good amount and proven their soundness.

He is certainly a good looking horse but not sure on soundness just because he had a lot of starts. He last raced in 2010. He raced solid until early 2010 then several months off, one more start in August and then done. So I would wonder why so much time off now...or if the break was because of an injury. It may not have been an injury...he could have just changed trainers and they gave him a well deserved break and then he didn't want to be a race horse. Even if it was an injury....he may be perfectly fine now. I would just want a PPE before I got too attached to all his cuteness....and he certainly has a lot of that!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Ja ja!! Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    He is certainly a good looking horse but not sure on soundness just because he had a lot of starts. He last raced in 2010. He raced solid until early 2010 then several months off, one more start in August and then done. So I would wonder why so much time off now...or if the break was because of an injury. It may not have been an injury...he could have just changed trainers and they gave him a well deserved break and then he didn't want to be a race horse. Even if it was an injury....he may be perfectly fine now. I would just want a PPE before I got too attached to all his cuteness....and he certainly has a lot of that!
    THIS

Wow, LOVE him

My comment on soundness was meant that whatever the horse's confirmation, they were able to hold up to the stress of racing. Of course any horse should have a PPE.

Just my opinion, but his legs look super clean in the pictures. If he were for sale, not adoption, I'd be looking at him! (NOthing against people that want to adopt, but for ME, I have enough forever horses, but always have room for project horses to be schooled and then find forever-type homes for them.)

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

1 members found this post helpful.

Off topic, but New Vocations always has gorgeous horses! Are they the Rolls Royce of TB rescues, or is it just their more professional photos? Or maybe they only post the spectacular ones on facebook.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I think a lot of people shy away from these horses with long race records and it is a real shame. Some of my absolute easiest horses to retrain have been these older tb's with a bunch of starts. They have been there and done that! He does have a gap in the race record but there could be a logical reason. He is cheap enough that a vetting wouldn't add much to the price.

I retrained another horse by Mutakddim and boy was he lovely, quiet and could jump the moon! I have seen several others by Mutakddim that have been the same way.

I just love the eye on this horse. He actually looks a lot like my horse who retired at age 8 with 58 starts and is as sound as they come with amazingly clean x-rays. You just never know...

Agree with Jlee...as usual! And to kmel, yes, I think that New Vocations (which was literally located in my back yard - could see 'em from my barn) is very professional about their business of rehoming exracehorses, right down to their retraining efforts, professional photography AND videography, and adoption policies. Their photos always DO look great and they have a lot of them. They also take good videos in decent lighting and reall try to show what that horse looks like in motion. You can't ride the horses, but you can watch one of the volunteers ride it. They do most everything possible to get the horses into the right home, even meticulously listing all possible unsoundnesses. It's a good deal.

I heartily agree! My first real event horse ran 77 races, and I bought him as a 5 year old. By age 9, we were at intermediate and last I heard he did the T3D at Waredaca when he was 19. I think he died shortly thereafter. He had a long career with a young rider and then with a series of adult amateurs. That horse was the toughest horse I've ever had. The fact that he retired totally sound, with no blemishes was amazing. And then the fact that he went on to do several 2 stars and event nonstop for 14 years is even more amazing.

There's another thread on here about bone. I am all about moderate bone and this horse had moderate bone and good sized feet, with super long legs and a short back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    I think a lot of people shy away from these horses with long race records and it is a real shame. Some of my absolute easiest horses to retrain have been these older tb's with a bunch of starts. They have been there and done that! He does have a gap in the race record but there could be a logical reason. He is cheap enough that a vetting wouldn't add much to the price.

I retrained another horse by Mutakddim and boy was he lovely, quiet and could jump the moon! I have seen several others by Mutakddim that have been the same way.

I just love the eye on this horse. He actually looks a lot like my horse who retired at age 8 with 58 starts and is as sound as they come with amazingly clean x-rays. You just never know...

Speaking of OTTBs, has anyone seen this guy?
    http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=285

I just want to be clear...my post was not to avoid this horse because he had a lot of starts. My point was that just because a horse has had a lot of starts doesn't always mean he will be sound. I personally LIKE a horse with a lot of starts...but when they have a large gap in their record like this one, it absolutely raises a red flag. I personally do not run away from any red flags...but I do get a good PPE done and I do ask questions. That was more my point.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

They also just posted another nice one Joe Vann....I'd go look at him in a heart beat.

Bad BFNE! I really, really want Joe Vann , but no.more.horses! Especially since Tucker is now exhibiting complicated NQR signs. I should probably just give him away, but instead, I'll be spending the project horse money on the vet.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!