The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question UGH - On the Cell Phone hunt AGAIN....My $200 drowned.... :(

I hate this!! I LOOOOOVED my Nokia Lumia 900, but after it drowned, I forced to get another one. Only problem, is that now I really only want a Windows Phone. I just HATE how dang pricey they are - even the Windows 7.8's!! Any suggestions?? The catch is that it has to be a GSM phone (as in, it takes a SIM card)

AT&T has only two windows phones, yours and an HTC.
    I looked, but I am grandfathered in at true unlimited data plan PLUS legal tethering. The salesman said "they should be charging you for that!" well no, Ive been with them, off contract for over 13 years.
    The price off contract > $500 is shocking plus Microsoft has gone the way of Apple, no microSDs etc, all hardware locked in by the OS. I'm keeping my old windows phone.
    Are you absolutely sure your phone can't be revived? There are places that will fix it or buy a broken phone from you.

I had a friend who purchased phones off of Ebay, or other auction sites, activated it with AT&T (as I recall, but I don't think the carrier matters), and then stayed off contract. I think that might be a cheaper option if you shop around, especially this weekend. And sometimes the online phone carrier sites give better deals than the physical stores.

I'm not sure you can go without a contract for a data phone, but it might be possible.

Have you tried opening it up all of the way, and putting it in dry white rice kernals, and leaving it for a few days? That's worked for other people. And it can take several days I think. Google it, and there might be another method. And put it in there vertically so it drains better.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I use Straight Talk which is $45 for unlimited talk/text/data I just get a SIM card from them, and I'm good to go.

The Lumia 900 is like an iPhone - it doesn't open. The screen turns on, but it doesn't respond to touch, plus it's cracked. It would cost over $100 to fix, which is why I'm just going with a new phone - I'm just sticking to a budget of $140. And I'm getting a decent case this time.
    moh, and AT&T has several Windows Phones

From one of my favorite deals forums--Samsung SGH i677 Focus Flash, unlocked, $150. This is a reputable dealer that I've used before (Yellow Deals).
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SGH-i6...tag=slickdeals

Cowboom is another good source. Tends to be a little more pricey than Fleabay, but they're owned and run by Best Buy, and you can return the phone if you're not satisfied.
    http://www.cowboom.com/search/result...indows%20phone

My Casio Commando is supposedly waterproof, and very rugged. The new Samsung Galaxy ones are a little bigger than mine, and have a built in assistant you can talk to. And the ones that say "Droid" when you have a call or message drive me nuts. Mine had a default text message notification that sounded like a reving mototcycle, and I thought for at least a month or so the neighbors were revving their engines, until the day I was charging it right next to me, and the sound went off. I changed it to something less irritating.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

are you 100% sure you killed the phone?

you ca get packets of silica gel (it's crystals, go figure) and pack the phone with that in a ziplock bag. If you don't have any floating around the house already 9they are usually packed with electronics and other moisture sensitive goods) I ahve seen them in the electronic department for about 5 or 6 bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?