The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Not really, personally, but thank you all for sharing your stories! Waaaay too cool
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

Had my birth chart done and the woman told me some amazing things. She said in one of my past lives I was betrayed by a man I loved and because of that I lost my children. Hmm... maybe thats why I have always had serious trust issues. Maybe, maybe not.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Maybe you had been seeing pictures of Venice and integrating them with your own story was your brain's way of making memories while asleep?
    That seems to be one of the functions our brains use during sleep.
    I don't think so. My dream was nothing like Venice. Victorian-era residential street, and for some reason I think it was in the US, not overseas. Picture big Victorian style houses with detached garages/carriage houses and wrought iron fences. I was the only person in the dream. I never saw myself or another person, so I have no idea if I was a man or woman, or what I looked like.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I used to be rather skeptical of the whole thing - it sounded like a great idea - but how the heck do you prove it?
    My now ex and I were doing therapy many years ago(now) and our therapist asked if we would be open to being hypnotized. I was game so she did me first. The suggestion was to go back to when the problem first started. I went back to just before I was born. It was all dark and crampy in there!!! I was born prematurely but I didn't want to be born. I knew this life was going to be really hard and I didn't want to do it. WOW
    She hypnotized me a couple of other times and I remembered a life with my then husband and other people I had known in this life. I was a man in my "last" life and I had committed suicide. Had I stayed and not killed myself, I would have met my current SO. He now has trust issues with me because I abandoned him before. (No he doesn't believe in this stuff). I mean I know I have a decent imagination but I'm not that good at making this stuff up.
    So yep now I am a HUGE believer and have also read many many books on the subject.
    A really good one is Journey of Souls. It's an amazing book - how we choose what issues we are going to have to deal with in our current life. It's incredibly freeing to realize I actually chose all this crap. I honestly wonder what the he## was I thinking. LOL

1 members found this post helpful.

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    I don't think so. My dream was nothing like Venice. Victorian-era residential street, and for some reason I think it was in the US, not overseas. Picture big Victorian style houses with detached garages/carriage houses and wrought iron fences. I was the only person in the dream. I never saw myself or another person, so I have no idea if I was a man or woman, or what I looked like.
    Interesting. I'd research floods in the US and see if any of the locales ring a bell. Did you get a sense of the time? Like if the buildings were relatively new or if they'd been there a while? Or the Victorian architectural style could narrow down the region and time frame too. Here's a quick link about floods prior to 1900 in the US and at the bottom is a link to a listing of floods after 1900:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floods_...tes_until_1900
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

I have no personal experience other than that underlining feel. I think it is why you click with some people right away and also the opposite. I also read "Many Lives, Many Masters" and it touched a chord with me.

On a side note, I really really hope I was a pigmy in Africa in one of my past lives! I just think that would be AWESOME!

Quote Originally Posted by hastyreply View Post
    I have no personal experience other than that underlining feel. I think it is why you click with some people right away and also the opposite. I also read "Many Lives, Many Masters" and it touched a chord with me.

On a side note, I really really hope I was a pigmy in Africa in one of my past lives! I just think that would be AWESOME!
    Do you feel like eating "long pig" (humans) sometimes?

2 members found this post helpful.

When with the pigmies eat like a pigmy!

I had a really distressing dream many, many years ago; painfully "real" and I knew exactly where I was, who I was (not "me", but I WAS me, just not me Rubyfree, dig?), what I was at this location for, had extremely detailed understanding of the situation that brought me to the locale... I remember it clear as a bell to this day.

Several years later I saw the location from that dream on a TV show. Not the exact spots, but I knew where it was & what it was. Talk about stomach dropping weirdness. I had not, to the best of my memory, ever seen this location in media before, and while I suppose it's possible, I just knew SO much about the place. It has taken years of part time internet research to dig up some of the info that I "knew" in my dream, so I don't know how likely it is that all of that information was just lurking in my subconscious from previous exposure in the media, etc. Some of the things I "knew" I still can't find any confirmation of.

It was very very odd & while I have very vivid dreams frequently, I have never experienced anything like that again. I think I was "there".

I'm a little more willing to believe the past-life line than I am many other lines of supposedly meta-physical mumbo jumbo; not sure if it's because of that dream or not, but i'm an ammy physics nerd and the whole conservation of energy thing makes it easier for me to believe that there can be weird little memories trapped in our cells.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

Nothing specific for me, except... One day when I was four I came downstairs in the morning and announced to my family that I was moving to Vienna where there were only WHITE horses. (We raised and trained standardbreds, so grey horses were pretty magical to me) Nobody in my family had ever heard of the place, we had to go to the library and look it up in the encyclopedia, so no one had any idea where I'd gotten it from, we didn't have a TV, and this was LONG before the internet.

I have gotten the opportunity to live in Vienna on and off over the years, and the strangest thing when I first got there was, that despite never having been there before, and nothing being familiar, I very rarely ever got lost in that city. I just always knew that where I needed to go was "That way" and I was almost always right. To this day, I might not be able to picture what it looks like if you were to say "let's go to Türkenschanz Park" but if I start walking, we'll end up there sooner than later, and usually without false turns.

This little talent does not continue on to the 'burbs, (whooo boy....) and don't ask me to figure out if a door is push or pull on the first try while I'm there, 'cause on THAT I'm always WRONG!
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

Uh, it's been a while since I read "The Forrest People", but the Pygmies are not cannibals...(And as I'm about as far right as you can go without coming back around, if *I* think something sounds racist/offensive....)

I have never had any experiences I would definitely call 'past life', but I'm also somewhat resistant to being hypnotized (not that I object, they can't seem to do it.) I do have particular areas of history I find engaging, some I can explain (I'm fairly sure why I fixate on the Templars, for example, and doesn't everyone go through their WWII phase) but Rome and the American South in the Civil War are trickier--it might just be having watched "The Civil War" on PBS a LOT, leading to me reading a biography of Lee in middle school, but I'm not 100% convinced that's why going to Lexington (VA) was like OMG I HAVE TO GO HERE. Conversely I found MA in general and Concord in particular really unpleasant--Concord's just as pretty as Lexington but I just never liked the place, job aside, which could either be that war or the Revolution and in either case, if I was there, I was against the general trend in that particular town.

I don't know if it's really "past life", or if there's something to the idea of genetic memory, but I love open spaces, have always been moderately obsessed with ponies/small horses, and tend to get fixated on Central Asian cultures (fascinated by the Urumchi mummies, for example.) Again, maybe 'past life', maybe that's just a genetic memory as if you go back far enough that's my people.

And it's funny how many recollections on here involve water, boats, and drowning. I've always, if anything, been stupidly overconfident about water--don't kid myself it'll kill me if it gets the chance (the Lakes especially, if they want you, they'll get you eventually) but I'm never really nervous on a boat or ship. Again, no idea if that's a past life (I'm not ready to say my fixation on Titanic and the great ships is anything more than acquired by osmosis from my brother) or just liking the water, or if you believe in ghosts/guardian angels, my grandfather who drowned having my back when I'm near water.

Quote Originally Posted by OnThinIce View Post
    Interesting. I'd research floods in the US and see if any of the locales ring a bell. Did you get a sense of the time? Like if the buildings were relatively new or if they'd been there a while? Or the Victorian architectural style could narrow down the region and time frame too. Here's a quick link about floods prior to 1900 in the US and at the bottom is a link to a listing of floods after 1900:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floods_...tes_until_1900
    Thanks, I'll check it out. Interestingly, there was a great flood here in Louisville in 1937 that both sets of my grandparents went through. Nobody in the family died, but I do wonder if there is some connection. I don't remember enough to have a sense of an exact time. I don't remember any cars, but that could be because of the flood? Dunno.

Oh, and those of you that have been hypnotized, how did you find a credible person to do it? I'd be interested, but don't want to go to a quack (or look like a quack).
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

The Johnstown flood in the late 1800s was an important one. Perhaps something about that will ring a bell.

Galveston might fit the bill architecturally, Redmare01.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Check with your local CC - they may teach it there and have many contacts for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    Thanks, I'll check it out. Interestingly, there was a great flood here in Louisville in 1937 that both sets of my grandparents went through. Nobody in the family died, but I do wonder if there is some connection. I don't remember enough to have a sense of an exact time. I don't remember any cars, but that could be because of the flood? Dunno.

Oh, and those of you that have been hypnotized, how did you find a credible person to do it? I'd be interested, but don't want to go to a quack (or look like a quack).