The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking New Horse Paranoia!

I'm about to lease a horse soon! He's amazing and I'm very excited. I've leased horses before, so I'm certainly not entirely new to all of this. I do however, have the "new horse mom" nerves. Yes, I know I'm not his full mom. This horse means a lot to his owner and the bond they have is unbreakable. The fact that she trusts me to lease him is an honor itself. Anyways. I want to make sure that he has everything he needs and that his owner sees how much I love him. All of those "what if" moments are running in my brain, and I'm like AAAHHH with excitement and nerves! Again, this isn't the first time I've leased... I just get really really excited over horsey stuff. Stuff running in my mind...

* Does he have everything he needs and what do I need to buy? (I don't want the owner thinking I'm totally unprepared and all. She says she has stuff, but she gave me that impression that she'd rather me use my own. Totally understandable.)

* How's my riding skills? Do I look stupid....

* Time to go treat shopping and spoil the horsey stuff shopping.

This is semi-normal? Right....?

Totally normal! It is great you are so excited about this opportunity; he must be a fabulous horse!

The "what does he need" really depends on what he has and what you already own. I could go to the store and max out my credit card to the max everytime, but I've learned to control this impulse. I am sure after a few days you will want to pick up some stuff of your own; I love buying new grooming stuff and maybe a new scrim sheet or cooler for a new horse. Are you using her saddle/bridle or your own?

Good luck and have a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    Totally normal! It is great you are so excited about this opportunity; he must be a fabulous horse!

The "what does he need" really depends on what he has and what you already own. I could go to the store and max out my credit card to the max everytime, but I've learned to control this impulse. I am sure after a few days you will want to pick up some stuff of your own; I love buying new grooming stuff and maybe a new scrim sheet or cooler for a new horse. Are you using her saddle/bridle or your own?

Good luck and have a great time!
    I'm using the owner's saddle and bridle because I don't have tack that would fit her horse correctly. I have an adjustable bridle, so I'll try that. But my saddle doesn't fit him. She said I could use her saddle, but I get the feeling she wants me to have my own. I totally understand because saddles are like, super duper personalized for every rider in some way and she doesn't really want me using her stuff. And thank you! I am so so so happy about it!

All perfectly normal, except if you worry about "looking stupid" you should probably give up horses, since sooner or later they make ALL of us look very, very foolish, often repeatedly.
    Click here before you buy.

Wait, are you currently leasing or about start a new lease? In another thread you just posted you said you were already leasing and at a small 20 horse barn and thinking of inviting friends out?

Just confused.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Wait, are you currently leasing or about start a new lease? In another thread you just posted you said you were already leasing and at a small 20 horse barn and thinking of inviting friends out?

Just confused.
    I'm leasing now. I got the okay in the time between the posts.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    All perfectly normal, except if you worry about "looking stupid" you should probably give up horses, since sooner or later they make ALL of us look very, very foolish, often repeatedly.
    Lol. Very very true. My friends and I have many funny memories from when we look foolish. What I meant was like, Do I look like a bad rider to the owner of the horse. I'm on their horse, and I'm sure they don't want to see some awful rider on their horse. So, I mean that do I look good to the owner of the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Equestrian Hailey View Post
    I'm leasing now. I got the okay in the time between the posts.
    In between your posts was a mere 10 hours. Quick!
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
    In between your posts was a mere 10 hours. Quick!
    Well we've been thinking about it for a very long time and that day was the day my dad was actually going to sign the papers and everything would be official and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Equestrian Hailey View Post
    I'm using the owner's saddle and bridle because I don't have tack that would fit her horse correctly. I have an adjustable bridle, so I'll try that. But my saddle doesn't fit him. She said I could use her saddle, but I get the feeling she wants me to have my own. I totally understand because saddles are like, super duper personalized for every rider in some way and she doesn't really want me using her stuff.
    It is pretty standard for most partial leases that the tack comes with - unless it's indicated that leaser must supply tack - saddles are a personal fit for horse (& rider) so it's not reasonable to expect that a part-time leaser will have tack suitable to the horse.

If her saddle is a poor fit for you & you really can't ride in it, then sorting out a saddle for you & the horse, may be something you wish to look into. It's possible to rent a saddle rather than buy, but rates are ~ $175/month so it's often more economic to buy something such as a Wintec or other used saddle for a similar price ...

Definitely don't rush into anything
    Talk to the owner about her expectations rather than assuming she is unhappy to share her saddle (if she has reservations it's likely about upkeep of the saddle & not riding in jeans etc) - after all she is already sharing her horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

Congratulations!

About the saddle - look for a used saddle that could fit her horse (and have the owner check it for fit before you finalize the sale) and purchase a QUALITY used saddle. If the lease ends in a year and you move on to a different horse that doesn't fit that saddle, you can probably sell the saddle for near what you paid for it. Even if it's 2/3 or 1/2 price it turns out to be a pretty good idea. I've sold several saddles, bought used, that either retained nearly 100% of their value and in once case sold for more than I paid for it.

As for the other stuff, go easy!!! If you're leasing I'm not sure what else, besides grooming tools, you might need personally. On the other hand, building up your own personal tack room is never a bad idea.

If you can, buy a couple of saddle pads and bandages. They are very inexpensive and unfortunately they get ruined with washing.

Also, a blanket for that horse wouldn't be a bad idea. This way, if he ruins it, it will be your blanket and not the owners.

No bandages. Bandages are too easy to apply incorrectly.

Bandages are too easy to apply incorrectly.
    Well, I assumed the OP knows how to apply bandages correctly.

I've leased several horses and I never expected the owner to supply "worn-able" material. I have always had my grooming kit, blankets, saddle pads, bandages, leg boots,...