The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trainer Gift Ideas?!

So every year, it seems like I struggle to come up with something to get my trainer for christmas. She doesn't have her own horse, however, she does ride clients' horses quite often. With other trainers, I have given horsey jewelry or Coach keychains, etc, but I don't think she would get excited over this. She does have a daughter that I will probably get a little something for also, but I am at a loss on what to get her. Any ideas? (btw, price doesn't matter b/c if need be, I can just ask some other boarders if they would like to go in with me ) Thanks!

As silly as it may sound, a monogrammed gear bag is handy for the nomadic trainer.
    When I travel to a client I have a duffle bag with my go-to stuff. It is so nice to be able to transport bits, surcingle, whips, caveson, gloves, helmet, lines, etc all in one bag.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I knitted mine a hat in her training barn colors. And since she is so cold natured, gave it to her in October.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

How about a Mommy-Daughter spa day?

Helmet, gloves, nice spur straps - she rides, so these are useful. A nice restaurant gift certificate or a gift certificate to a high end candy story (I'm very chocolate driven, hahaha). Movie passes, theatre passes. I like the mother/daughter spa day idea too!

Quote Originally Posted by Covergirl15 View Post
    So every year, it seems like I struggle to come up with something to get my trainer for christmas. She doesn't have her own horse, however, she does ride clients' horses quite often. With other trainers, I have given horsey jewelry or Coach keychains, etc, but I don't think she would get excited over this. She does have a daughter that I will probably get a little something for also, but I am at a loss on what to get her. Any ideas? (btw, price doesn't matter b/c if need be, I can just ask some other boarders if they would like to go in with me ) Thanks!
    I got this --
    http://www.dressagedaily.com/article...ttard-gribaldi
    for my trainer last year, and she LOVED it.
    (Anyway, it's time trainers learned a bit about the breeding of the horses they train!)

Lauren Sprieser had a great COTH blog about this...

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...-professionals

1 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

My trainer growing ups favourite chocolates were lindt white truffles, so I always got her some of those, then we usually got together for a barn gift of some kind too, depending on what we found out she needed.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Petstorejunkie had a very good idea for the traveling trainer. Along that line of thought, here is a duffel bag for your consideration
    http://store.horsegiftsandart.com/ho...try-10803.html
    Last edited by baytraks; Dec. 3, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
    Carol

www.HorseGiftsandArt.com offers a unique selection of horse art, jewelry, gifts, plush horses and equestrian home decor

Sort of curious why people think they should give their trainer a gift. After all, we pay them weekly (more or less) for lessons. When I was a trainer, I gave my students gifts!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by chancellor2 View Post
    Sort of curious why people think they should give their trainer a gift. After all, we pay them weekly (more or less) for lessons. When I was a trainer, I gave my students gifts!
    I've always given my trainer a gift... it is a way to express my appreciation for all they do for me and for my horse throughout the year. It's not something I feel *obligated* to do, but rather something I want to do. I am very fortunate to have a wonderful boarding/training situation, and enjoy the opportunity to offer a little extra "thank you" with a nice gift.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina